• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cartridge & headshell SL 1500

dsndblm

Super Member
I'd like to get a new cartridge and possibly a headshell for my Technics SL 1500. Mine are original and have been used for many many hours. I have no idea what to buy, the choices are a bit overwhelming. I have around $100 to spend on the cartridge.
Thanks in advance.:banana:
 
Register to hide this ad
Headshell is probably just fine.

At that price for a cart, there's a few options both north and south.

South, for around $60-75, the Shure M97Xe. Very good, but for a marked improvement....

Denon 110 or 160, ranging betwixt $110 and $180. The 160 is a bit better than the 110, but nothing to slit wrists about.

Audio Technica AT440MLa- hovering around $150, but I've seen them go from as little as $99 to almost $200.

Grado Silver and gold- $150-180, with a little wiggle room each way.




There are others, but for new under $200, I'm saying these are the typical loved ones.

Another optio is the Denon 103, around $150-200, but it's a LOMC so you'll need an "MC" input on your phono section.
 
I would say try an Lpgear.com At95HE. They are great sounding little carts (just rebadged Audio Technica 95e's with better styli), and I think one would mate up well with your 1500's arm.

Best of luck, Nick
 
Given that budget, I'd do two things: I'd get a couple of headshells and one cartridge. The headshells are around $13 from LPGear. Then I'd get an AT95e. This little cartridge can be upgraded with better styli to a fairly high level. You can read about it here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187109 So as pennies become available, you can just upgrade the styli to get better sounds without disturbing the set-up :)

Somewhere along the way, I'd get a little Grado Black. Just for the times when you want that Grado sound to match an LP that needs a bit of help :)
 
Try and find a Stanton 500 or 600. I got my 500EE for 22 dollars shipped and the stylus was brand new. Then I got the LP gear 2nd to the top headshell for about the same. Those babies sound wonderful. I am listening to my AT 71E right now and they are right they do make good cheap carts that sound great!

I want to get a Nagaoka MP-11 or an MP-110 next. but for the price of the MP-110 I think I might try a Denon DL 110.
 
Back
Top Bottom