• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cartridge issues... opinions please

Never use alcohol on a stylus! It can loosen the glue if it's bonded!

I've never used alcohol on a tip, but I'd be dubious that alcohol would have that sort of effect.
Acetone, certainly.... but alcohol - I could certainly be wrong, but that would shock me.

(Edit: I only say this from having worked on countless camera lens assemblies. Even the far weaker glue types often used to secure element groups or even lock threads can be worked with very small amounts of acetone, but alcohol is never effective for that.)
 
Never use alcohol on a stylus! It can loosen the glue if it's bonded! I use the Soundsmith method of using Blue Tak modeling clay. Dip the stylus in it, you can see the crud come off! Wipe stylus after with small stylus brush. Never had a problem with the Soundsmith way.
Not true, maybe ortofon as they may use different glue, but alcohol won't hurt epoxy. Test was run over at VE years ago and a number of stylus were put in a jar and it was filled with alcohol and lid put on and left for weeks and weeks. When opened all stylus were intact. I wish alcohol did loosen tips as I retip and sometimes it is a real sod to get old tips off when glue goes down in the hole and I can't get to it.
Alcohol does nothing to the glue.
Chris
 
I've never used alcohol on a tip, but I'd be dubious that alcohol would have that sort of effect.

Ortofon cautions about using any liquid as they glue their diamonds on with paper mâché or something that will loosen when subjected to certain liquids. That is my reason for using very little water on the SC brush with a dry part of the brush immediately following the wet bristles. Alcohol will also ruin a Discwasher Stylus Cleaner brush.

But if you use alcohol and the bonded tip falls off, just look at that as an opportunity to upgrade.
 
Ortofon cautions about using any liquid as they glue their diamonds on with paper mâché or something that will loosen when subjected to certain liquids. That is my reason for using very little water on the SC brush with a dry part of the brush immediately following the wet bristles. Alcohol will also ruin a Discwasher Stylus Cleaner brush.

But if you use alcohol and the bonded tip falls off, just look at that as an opportunity to upgrade.
I got my Ortofon vms 30 with no tip, ages ago I cut the cantilever to experiment retipping shame in a way as I can retip diamond too not just cantilevers. Anyway my error allowed me to do this, boron with nude microridge :)
20200915_195557.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom