• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cartridge recommendation Technics 1200 MK 2 Lounge Audio MKIII

hhjack

Active Member
Sorry, I know phono cartridge recommendations are all over this board as well as others. But been having a difficult time piecing together solid advice for my particular set up.

I am running a KAB Technics 1200 MK2 through the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII into Onkyo 9010 integrated amp and outputting to vintage Dynaco A25 speakers.

I am looking for something with nice, defined details and solid bass as well as low surface noise. I was currently using the AT120e but the stylus got damaged and am looking for a change.

I have been looking at AT150sa as well as Denon and Nagaoka. However, I believe I have ruled out the Denon due to it being prone to bring out the surface noise.

I am open to other recommendations especially in conjunction with the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII.

My budget is $300.

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello the At150sa is suppose to be a really nice cartridge. Looks like audio technica changed all their cart numbers and prices again. I really like my AT120e and switch it out with my Ortofon blue. I have it on my 1200 M3D.
 
Hello the At150sa is suppose to be a really nice cartridge. Looks like audio technica changed all their cart numbers and prices again. I really like my AT120e and switch it out with my Ortofon blue. I have it on my 1200 M3D.
Thanks for response. Interesting that you mention the Ortofon Blue. I've been doing a lot of research about that one tonight. I've only owned Audio Technica cartridges (AT 95E, AT120E, and AT440MLA) so I've been looking to try something different.
 
In my experience the Denon DL103 does quite well with surface noise (compared to a Benz Glider). But you either love or hate the DL103. I've only tried the Denon LOMCs and again in my experience they love SUTs which have gotten rather expensive lately and out of one's budget. You seem to require a MM or a HOMC.

The MM ATs I've tried have been very detailed but they can be bright and many, including me, seem to be sensitive to brightness so again you either love them or hate them. I've only briefly heard a Nagaoka (at a trade show and an expensive one) and I liked it. They seem to have a Denon plus extra vitamins type of a sound. They have a real following on AK from people who I admire. I'd try one for the sound and the bragging rights.

The Nagaoka's seem to have that Japanese small company, upstart, can do, kind of feel which I admire. After writing this I might try one too.
 
Thanks for response. Interesting that you mention the Ortofon Blue. I've been doing a lot of research about that one tonight. I've only owned Audio Technica cartridges (AT 95E, AT120E, and AT440MLA) so I've been looking to try something different.
I have used and am using all the carts you have listed. Some sound better on one system or another. Probably would have been better to buy a more expensive cart instead of 5 different ones. The ortofon doesn't seem as lively in the music as the audio technicas but seems more neutral and really strong in the mid range. Pretty detailed for a 200 dollar cart.
 
Thanks for the recommendations. I bought the Ortofon 2M Blue. So far, I've been enjoying it. The mid range is especially nice with vocals presented very naturally with no sibilance. Extremely quiet cartridge, too. Little to no surface noise. I will say that the Audio Technica's bass is more detailed but I've also only put it through an hour of use, and I am still playing with VTA adjustments. Looking forward to getting use to it this weekend.
 
Back
Top Bottom