• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cartridge recommendation

szeppelin75

Well-Known Member
Hi everybody.

I've got a Sansui SR-636 which came with a Shure N44-7 cartridge. I haven't changed it in over two years, but i think is time to upgrade and get more in touch with a lower tracking cartridge, since the Shure being a DJ cartridge tracks at almost 3.0 g. and i'm peaying more attention to sibilance in some records now.

I've been thinking of either an Ortofon 2M Red, Shure M97 xE or an
Audio-Technica AT44ML. I mainly listen to rock music. Any suggestions?
 
Register to hide this ad
Get a Shure M97xE. Best bang for the buck and can be upgraded with a Jico SAS stylus in the future, should you wish. I think Amazon still has them for around $60.
 
$88. I bought one yesterday, would have preferred Amazon, but B&H had it for $69. I just checked - B&H is up to $88 today!

Now that the M97xE is pushing $90.00 the Audio-Technica AT120E becomes a very viable option and the AT95E becomes an absolute steal.

John
 
It could just be that a new stylus is needed. I've never kept the same stylus on a turntable for two years (I think 14 months is my record), and you didn't mention whether the cartridge was new when you bought your SR636. If you want a lighter-tracking stylus, the N44G will fit your current cartridge body and should track well at 1.5 grams. It seems to be available from several sources at about $26.

The N44-7 stylus also has a very high output, and I've read (though can't confirm from personal experience) that such high output can overload some phono stages, resulting in distortions that can resemble mistracking (for example, excessive sibilance). The N44G stylus has lower output (6.2 mV compared to 9.5 mV).

By the way, though the M44 cartridges are currently marketed as DJ models, they were originally (when introduced in 1963) Shure's top audiophile cartridge, only superceded when the first V15 came out shortly after. That's not to say that you might not like an AT440MLa better, only that you might be able to resolve your sibilance issues and desire for lighter tracking with a low-cost stylus change.
 
Thanks everybody for the quick responses. The stylus itself is less than a year old. The cartridge most likely was used when i bought the 636. The funny thing is that i hear sibilance in the high notes on some songs on some records, most of what i have i bought used so. On a lot of records, specially new ones the sound is fantastic. Was just listening to Hysteria by Def Leppard this morning and the sound was great. I hadn't thought on th N44G though. Interesting.
 
Last edited:
Update:

I went in and ordered the M97xE from Turntableneedles.com, it was $77.95.

I guess eventually i'll upgrade it with the JICO SAS stylus, but for now i'll wait for the cartridge and try it.

I'll update you on how it sounds on my rig.

Thanks everybody.
 
Please be aware that the M97xE is said to have a longish break-in time. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 hours, I believe. This is not to say that it won't sound good out-of-the-box, just that it will sound better after breaking in.
 
Please be aware that the M97xE is said to have a longish break-in time. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 hours, I believe. This is not to say that it won't sound good out-of-the-box, just that it will sound better after breaking in.

I know, i read about it. Guess i'll have to play a lot of records before that. Got no problem with that.:music:
 
I went in and ordered the M97xE from Turntableneedles.com, it was $77.95.

I've noticed in the past that Turntableneedles will set selling price based on their cost. If they bought something at a certain cost and then the manufacturer raises their price they will sell old pre-increase inventory at the old pre-increase price until their old stock is exhausted. They don't use a manufacturer's price increase as an opportunity to temporarily increase their margin.

John
 
I've noticed in the past that Turntableneedles will set selling price based on their cost. If they bought something at a certain cost and then the manufacturer raises their price they will sell old pre-increase inventory at the old pre-increase price until their old stock is exhausted. They don't use a manufacturer's price increase as an opportunity to temporarily increase their margin.

John

Good for me
 
Back
Top Bottom