• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Cartridge Recommendations for Pioneer PL 50

Jtenenberg

New Member
I have a Dual 621 with a Shure V15 type II cartridge and stylus. I also have a Pioneer PL 50 with a Shure M 75E type 2 cartridge and stylus. When I play the Pioneer, the sound is very clean and I can hear the full spectrum of instruments. However when I listen to the Dual 621 and the Shure V15, even to my uneducated ear the quality of the acoustic instruments and strings and fullness of the base is significantly better. It really seems to be the cartridge and stylus more than the player itself. My question is what stylus and cartridge would I change the pioneer with the M75E to that would be worthwhile for increased quality of sound?
 
Register to hide this ad
If you could find either, and not spend too much, I'd say something like an Audio Technica AT-150, or a Shure V-15 Type III. There's so many to choose from other than these, you could likely get another 4 dozen suggestions. Denon makes some nice Cartridges.
 
In my experience the V15 Type 2 is so much better than the M75 Type 2 (although I have the 'Improved' version of the V15), so I'm not surprised at your observations. The only surprising thing concerns the bass, as I'd say the M75 does have a more forward bass (although it's perhaps more a case of quantity over quality).

I doubt that the PL-50's arm is low-mass, so I would look towards a medium-compliance cartridge for it. Among modern cartridges, you should look at the AT-VM95 range. These are very well-liked cartridges and there are different stylus profiles at different budgets. Another nice option is the Denon DL-110, which is a high output MC (you can use it with an MM phono-stage).
 
Back
Top Bottom