• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cartridge selection for my Kenwood KD-500

Mewzishun

New Member
I purchased an Ortofon 2M Blue for my Kenwood KD-500. The TT has a Grace G-840f tonearm installed. I've been reading through different forums and now I'm wondering if I made a mistake choosing the Ortofon Blue.
The Grace G-840f arm has an effective mass of 18g (with original headshell) and read that it should take a low to medium compliance cartridge. From what I've read, the Ortofon 2m Blue is high compliance. The VTF is set to 1.8g and VTA is looks good. I purchased a protractor and set the cart angle the best I could. The unit sounds great to my ears thus far.

I guess I'm not really understanding cart compliance. Should I worry that I installed this cartridge? I don't want to damage my albums or prematurely end the life of my stylus.

Note: the original headshell wasn't included so I picked up a Ortofon SH-4 headshell as well.
 
Register to hide this ad
Yep, a quite a mismatch.
You will suffer from tracking problems over slightly wrapped records, and when the surrounding interferes with the turntable (footfalls, trucks on the street, Etc. - really depends on your living place).
Seriously - I lived with a worse mismatch (a Grado mounted on the heavy Lenco L75 arm), and it sounded great most of the time.

When the time comes for an upgrade (both TT and arm deserve a better cart), think of something less compliant. Denon DL110/103 works the charm. Obviously a Grace cart will fit right in - the likes.
 
The unit sounds great to my ears thus far.
Then you are done. Seriously, you'll likely be much happier just enjoying your music rather than wondering if you have the "right" cartridge, the "right" arm, the "right" tracking force, etc. If you've set it up, and it sounds great, then mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned.
 
You are fine. The calculator says your resonance would be about 7Hz which is just fine, one lower than IDEAL so no big deal. Resonance is not wanted at record warp (1-3 Hz) or low bass (16-20 Hz) all the rest is ok with the middle being better.

Don't know the mass of the Grace headshell but using a lower mass one will move your resonance a bit higher, 7.4 instead of 7.0, maybe. But since you don't notice a problem, enjoy that table and save up for a really good cartridge. That arm and table combo will respond to that upgrade and when the stylus gets tired and you upgrade you will hear what you paid for, not as easy when the unit is new to you, most stuff will sound good.
 
I also have a Nagaoka MP-110 cart in good working condition (it's been on my Rega RP1 for a time).
It's hard to calculate the compliance due to the Japanese conversion 100hz to 10hz, but I think it's slightly lower than the blue. I may mount that guy on a headshell and try it as well.
 
No experience with the Ortofon Blue, but I do have with older high compliance Ortofons such as the VMS20eMkII. The referenced VMS stylus/cartridge worked ok even on my medium mass arms, even when the charts and calculators say no.

If it sounds good, enjoy.
 
The HiFiNews test record has a active resonance test track, no need to guess, you can play the track and observe and listen to your combination's actual resonance.

Adjustment to the tonearm mass can then be tried with corresponding tests to confirm improvement if you so desire.
 
Little update: I realize it’s been a bit, but I changed the cartridge on my TT to a Sumiko Olympia. It sounds fantastic! I got about 15 or so hours on it and it’s starting to open up. I like a lot better than the Ortofon 2M Blue I had mounted before. The 2M Blue sounded sterile in comparison. The Sumiko just has this fullness and authority in the bass and low-mids with silky highs. I'm really digging it. Great on my rock records, which is about 90% of my vinyl collection.

I have about 700+ hours on the 2M blue. I mounted it on the Rega TT which I’m about to pass down to my teenager who has been listening to a lot of music on their own.
 

Attachments

  • 6D413079-DC86-4918-AAC4-DD38B7186E1B.jpeg
    6D413079-DC86-4918-AAC4-DD38B7186E1B.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 31
Did you ever figure out what your Kenwood came with? Still haven’t seen one of those elsewhere myself.
 
This turntable was a gift from an old friend. The KD-500 wasn’t initially fitted with an arm. The tonearm had to be purchased separately. My friend (and first owner) chose the Grace g-840f. I love it.
Looking through his original receipts, he mounted a Pickering XSV-3000 which has long been used up.
I’ve upgraded to the Sumiko Moonstone since this post was started. It’s been great too!
 
I meant did you ever identify this cartridge?:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6625.JPG
    IMG_6625.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom