• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cartridge/Stylus Recommendations???

fujimo

Member
I recently picked up a Sony PS-4300 Direct Drive Automatic Turntable. Had one new in 1977 but it was stolen, found this on eBay and it brought back great memories.

This turntable is in mint condition with all functions working properly. The current cartridge is a Stanton EE 600 (?) See pic.

Is this a good/bad cartridge? Something worth keeping? If not, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Clark
 
Register to hide this ad
Slap a Grado Black on it and Set it and forget it ;)
 
The 600EE is a mid-level Stanton (between the 500 and the 680) that was sold installed on a lot of turntables. It's very decent.

You can get on the Stanton Magnetics web site (see Google) and get the specs and tracking requirements for it.
 
If you're going to replace it, I'd think going with a Grado Black would be kinda "sideways"... not a significant upgrade. The '600, as said above, was a pretty darn good cartridge. Unless the cantilever suspension has degraded with age or there's significant needle wear, I'd let it run...

I'd at least go with a Grado Blue or better, as an upgrade... or maybe even as far as an Ortofon X1 high-output moving coil (in the $150 range) if you wanna splurge a bit...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Originally posted by GordonW
If you're going to replace it, I'd think going with a Grado Black would be kinda "sideways"... not a significant upgrade. The '600, as said above, was a pretty darn good cartridge. Unless the cantilever suspension has degraded with age or there's significant needle wear, I'd let it run...

I'd at least go with a Grado Blue or better, as an upgrade... or maybe even as far as an Ortofon X1 high-output moving coil (in the $150 range) if you wanna splurge a bit...

Regards,
Gordon.

Thanks, how do these compare with a Shure V15 vXMR? Would this just be overkill?
 
Don't take this the wrong way but putting a $250-$300 Shure V15MxVR cart on that table would be a waste. No matter how nice the arm and/or cart they can't make up for the deficincies present in the table. A great table with an inferior arm/cart almost always outperforms a lesser table with a superior arm/cart. I'm with Grumpy. A Grado Black would be a wise choice. Use that $200 you save to invest down the road on a TT worthy of a Shure V15MxVR.



Mike
 
Stanton carts are extremely lifeless to me. I've heard nearly all they made from old to new and the 681 was the best. I still stand by my Grado black recommendation. Another you can look at may be something like the shure M97XE.

Like proac I feel the M97 or V15 is serious overkill for your table. Both of them are going to set you back anywhere from 100-300 bucks. For 30 bucks You will not find a better cart then the Grado. For a few bucks more you can bump up to the Goldrings. BrianB lists both these carts in the AK vendor forum. Take a peek or see if you have a local shop that you can audition them near you. Let you ears be the judge and not ours or mine..

Grumpy
 
Originally posted by ProAc_Fan
Don't take this the wrong way but putting a $250-$300 Shure V15MxVR cart on that table would be a waste. No matter how nice the arm and/or cart they can't make up for the deficincies present in the table. A great table with an inferior arm/cart almost always outperforms a lesser table with a superior arm/cart. I'm with Grumpy. A Grado Black would be a wise choice. Use that $200 you save to invest down the road on a TT worthy of a Shure V15MxVR.

Mike

No offense taken! Thanks for the input. Not being a die hard nut over vinyl, this TT will do me just fine. I was unfamiliar with the stanton cartridge and just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts about swapping it vs. keeping it. I would certainly rather keep the money if the Stanton performs adequately.

FWIW, I found the Shure for $199, is that a decent price for that cartridge?

Thanks again.
 
Is that a new one for 199.00 ? What series is it ( There's a bunch ) ? If indeed that is a new V15VxMR that is the best price I ever seen !
 
Originally posted by grumpy
Is that a new one for 199.00 ? What series is it ( There's a bunch ) ? If indeed that is a new V15VxMR that is the best price I ever seen !

OOPS! I checked again and it was $239.00 I had it confused with another cartridge. Sorry. So, $239 is not a bad price for a new one?
 
Yes 239.00 is still a great price. Last I heard they bumped the price up again on the V15 and most were charging closer to 300

Grumpy
 
Originally posted by grumpy
He's always selling em cheap. This one would suit you much better http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3055407917&category=3283

If your hell bent on buying a V15 you should know that there are carts that are cheaper and do a better job IMO. You can pickup a Benz silver for 205 through Venus Hifi or even try the Benz MC20E for even less.

Grumpy

Hey Grumpy,

Nope, not hell bent on spending any money on the TT. I'm just going to go with what I have for the time being. I'm sure there are better cartridges than Shure, I just didn't know anything about it and thought I would ask.

Thanks for the info.

Also, thanks to all that have replied. :yes:
 
Originally posted by grumpy
If your hell bent on buying a V15 you should know that there are carts that are cheaper and do a better job IMO. You can pickup a Benz silver for 205 through Venus Hifi or even try the Benz MC20E for even less.

Or that classic MC, the Denon DL-103 for ~$200

Or the Doug Sax favourite, the Stanton 881 Mk 2 ~$200.

But I'm with Grumpy and ProAc Mike; keep what you have or get a Grado Black and save the $$$ for a better TT.


cheerio
 
Back
Top Bottom