• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

cartridge survivor elimination!

Audiowhat?

Active Member
:scratch2:Ortofon OM20 vs Shure RXT6 with N97xe stylus Vs M97xe...

Gentlemen, place your bets...

One of these cartridge set ups will be gracing my Harman Kardon T60, which I must say, has the quietest motor I have ever (not) heard on a TT.

Please post if you have experience with one or all of these carts.
 
Register to hide this ad
that is tough.. but have you considered a AT 440MLa with it's nude micro linear stylus? it's on a lot of people short list.. just a thought.. if you're ruled it out. then the Ortofon OM20 sure looks like it would be a killer one.
 
Yea, I mention these three carts because I live in Nz, and our dealers stock replacement styli for these. Buying online is all well and good but I hate having to wait three weeks and then not being happy if something isnot right (yes I have had a crooked azimuth issue on a brand new styli). As a rule I don't buy OEM styli as it's hard to 'believe' they are as good, and rarely do sound as good.

I only have experience with goldring, AT and Shure carts, but the RXT6 needs a new styli (which would be a N97xe) hence my need for some biased opinions!
 
*raises hand* I ran an earlier (pre-Super) OM20 and am using the stylus now on an OM10 Super body because there's still plenty of life left in it. My TT isn't exactly a Michell Gyrodec but I'm quite happy. There are occasional reports that the bass is weaker than a Shure or AT, but I've been enjoying the sound too much. Just make sure it's aligned perfectly... the slightest error really makes this thing sound dull (VTA) or have lousy separation.
Tom
 
Not only had the OM20 (older body,new stylus), OM20 Super (new) and the M97Xe (new) but also had the 20 Super and the M97 mounted on the T60 itself! (the 20 Super feeding a Sumiko Phono Box into a Yammy HT receiver, the M97Xe feeding a Creek OBH-8 into the Yammy) 2 channel speakers are Boston Acoustics T830.

My vote is the OM20, Super or not. BUT - as I said, I had these carts and am now enjoying the AT 440MLa - here's why: TRACKING. While the sound quality of the Ortofon and the Shure was quite good, neither cart did an acceptable job of tracking without sibilance, especially on those inner grooves. This mis-tracking is the most critical aspect of a cartridge to my ears, although it may not be the same for you. Since my T60 gets less use than I prefer in the home theater rig, I've kept the cartridge cost to the $100 and under range and I've yet to find a better cart than the 440MLa at this pricepoint.

That being said, I prefered the OM20's sound over the M97Xe's, but found the M97Xe to be a slightly better tracker, no doubt due to its dampened brush.
 
I've got the AT 440MLa and the OM Super 20. I find the Ortofon to be slightly more detailed and open and the AT to be a bit warmer on a Music Hall MMF-5. The Super 20 is nicer to que up though because of the shape, and I prefer it's sound overall because of the details it brings out.
 
Interesting, lots of AT and ortofon fans! Pavioni, we must be source twins... I see you have a 640v2 and a T65! I'm going down the high end cd market... a very analogue sounding perreaux cd1. I find the CA can't quite handle HF properly, it's a little 'sharp' sounding next to a good TT.
 
The OM20 will probably win, followed by the RXT6, then the M97xE. My experience is that the older Shure cartridges sound better than the current M97xE. The .2 x .7 xE stylus is identical to that originally used in the RXT6, so that is a non-issue.
 
Yeah, and I managed to get enough arm height on the T60 by maxing out its VTA to accomodate the RXt6's 1/2 mount adaptor.... I just need to find a place that ships n97xe's to New Zealand for under $100...???
 
Instead of that why not order an N97HE from JICO? Or if the brush isn't critical, an N110HE from JICO? They're cheaper, they're in Japan and I believe they ship around the world. They only charge $10 to the US for shipping--can't be much more to NZ. The N97HE requires a tiny bit of plastic trimming, the 110 is a perfect fit. Better styli for less than the xE.
 
Interesting, lots of AT and ortofon fans! Pavioni, we must be source twins... I see you have a 640v2 and a T65! I'm going down the high end cd market... a very analogue sounding perreaux cd1. I find the CA can't quite handle HF properly, it's a little 'sharp' sounding next to a good TT.

Actually I'm a long time "Shure sound" fan, more so than the AT, who cant afford the coin being charged for a V15-VMR these days (why, o why, did I ever sell my V15-VMR?) but the Shure ML-140He on my T65 is very close and goes for much less when you can find one. The AT on my T60 is good for my limited use of this deck, but wouldn't be my first choice for everyday use.

I very much like the HF on my 640C v.2, which mates very well with the "warm,tubelike" sound of my B&K amp - I find it more detailed than sharp. Its the mixing and matching of componenets that make this obsession such a pleasurable puzzle.
 
Instead of that why not order an N97HE from JICO? Or if the brush isn't critical, an N110HE from JICO? They're cheaper, they're in Japan and I believe they ship around the world. They only charge $10 to the US for shipping--can't be much more to NZ. The N97HE requires a tiny bit of plastic trimming, the 110 is a perfect fit. Better styli for less than the xE.

Ok, but I can't find the N97he on Jico or the N110he, have they stopped stocking these? There is only a n91e
 
Bets could be kind'a tough if you don't give ALL associated components any your preference.

What I mean is it is really up to you. Not us.
 
Yessir, I totally agree. But it's good to canvas before shelling biccies, and dealers don't loan cartridges to hear.
 
Back
Top Bottom