• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Carver Silver Seven TUBE Amps on ebay

I have to ask

so what is the power output on these things ?

distortion specs ?

power consumption ?

Thanks

Mark D.

1-@ 375 watts (conservative) into 8 ohms
2-not positive, but I believe @ 0.15 % THD at rated output
3-power consumption is significant; probably want to think about a dedicated 20-amp circuit for EACH monoblock~
 
You mean this shoddy feedback?

" They never respond to emails. I never got my item. AVOID!!!!!!!!!
tron1007r_007 ( 53 [Feedback score is 50 to 99] )
Oct-05-08 22:44

*
Reply by s-t-u-d-i-o (Oct-14-08 20:54):
((THANKS PAL)) ITEM WAS SHIPPED AND DELIVERED UPS # 1Z69Y68Y0396652030"


I've been on eBay since 1996 & I've had a couple of @$$holes leave stupid feedback similar to that. It's a fact of doing business. One dipstick I tried REPEATEDLY to contact via email, eBay & phone never contacted me then left a similar feedback.

Actually there were 2 negs this one also.

has never sent the item takes the money no answer to emails THIEF avoid !!! Buyer: photonsys ( 526) May-13-06 12:55
-- (#6040148314)

But I would think that if you are going to spend over 20k on amps it really wouldndt matter, you would fly down in person and check them out and pick up.


REGARDS JIM
 
Amazing in this economy, selling those amps you could buy a house with the profit :D I think they need a few dozen 12AX7's on each of them lol Gorgeous amps, with that price I can see why they went into storage for 10 years.
 
Having no speakers connected to a tube amp is fine if there is no signal going through the amp, but as soon as the tubes start swinging voltage through the output transformer, they must be connected to a speaker or dummy load to complete a circuit, otherwise the voltage in the output transformer is trying to find a ground to complete a circuit and will jump through the weakest part of the insulation on the windings and cause a massive arc and burn through anything in its path and cause serious damage to the output transformer.
Generally it a rewind when that happens.
So as a rule for tube amps its far safer to always have a speaker connected, or dummy load.
I would not like to have to send one of those silver seven transformers to be rewound..............................
But hey what beautiful amplifiers, would love to hear them in action.
My memory tell me they do 1000watts into 2ohms..........
 
Having no speakers connected to a tube amp is fine if there is no signal going through the amp, but as soon as the tubes start swinging voltage through the output transformer, they must be connected to a speaker or dummy load to complete a circuit, otherwise the voltage in the output transformer is trying to find a ground to complete a circuit and will jump through the weakest part of the insulation on the windings and cause a massive arc and burn through anything in its path and cause serious damage to the output transformer.
Generally it a rewind when that happens.
So as a rule for tube amps its far safer to always have a speaker connected, or dummy load.
I would not like to have to send one of those silver seven transformers to be rewound..............................
But hey what beautiful amplifiers, would love to hear them in action.
My memory tell me they do 1000watts into 2ohms..........

Is it just me or does these pics show a load on the left amp? And none on the right amp?





REGARDS JIM
 
Last edited:
Is it just me or does these pics show a load on the left amp? And none on the right amp?





REGARDS JIM

I think it's just camera angle....Honeslty, who HASN'T heard of the silver 7's and HASN'T lusted for them for the last 20 years.....

Get real people....If I had the scratch they would be in my living room... :D
 
You think that both amps actually have a load on them and the pic of the one on the right isnt showing it or neither do?

REGARDS JIM
 
I think it's just the angle that each photo was shot from. I think neither have a load on them.
Hmmm..... :scratch2: Well I think it is possible that the meter may be stuck on the left amp but looking carefully at the pic it appears that it was taken at a left angle standing to the right of the amp which if anything should in theory at least show less of a load not more. Now if you were standing to the left of the amp shooting at a right angle it should actually show more of a possible load.

Either way it is only speculation on my part and in the grand scheme of things doesnt really matter if for no other reason than I am not buying them :D

REGARDS JIM
 
If I remember and by looking at those meters, I think they measure plate current or something like that, they are on the power supplies.
But yeah I think they just have them sitting there powered up.
But for 20K one would be going there in person to check it out.
I cant find any information on these amps but I am sure they do 1000watts into 2ohms...........I knew the Carver Dealer in New Zealand and he had a pile of brochures, no idea what happened to them however.
He also never brought one in to my dissapointment.
It is THE amp to have..............period..............for me anyway..
 
I cant find any information on these amps but I am sure they do 1000watts into 2ohms...........
OPT coupled, output wattage will be roughly the same 375 watts into any load impedance.

One thing for sure, you don't do anything in ahurry with them. The review i read said it takes a full 4 minutes of warmup from a cold start before the relays engage, takes a full minute to come on from stand-by mode.

Wonder how many of the "leave it on 24/7" campers would choose to leave these powered 24/7?:D

Well I think it is possible that the meter may be stuck on the left amp...........
Agreed, that meter appears to be to it's farthest left position, probably a good bit below the "0" point.
 
OPT coupled, output wattage will be roughly the same 375 watts into any load impedance.

One thing for sure, you don't do anything in ahurry with them. The review i read said it takes a full 4 minutes of warmup from a cold start before the relays engage, takes a full minute to come on from stand-by mode.

Well my theory is based on my memory which could be unreliable, but also based on the fact that I know an Ampeg bass amp produces 300watts from 6 x 6550/KT88 in class AB, not sure about distortion figures, but I can tell you when you play a CD through one hooked up to a couple of JBL4412's it is very impressive (Tone controls in defeat) they pack a real punch those amps.
Now the Carver has 15 x KT88, not sure what class though, may not be class AB given it has an uneven number of output tubes..............I wonder if its the biggest single ended amp ever made??? That would explain the power rating...............
Of course you are correct, it will produce the same power whatever the load......what was I thinking
I want to know more about these amps............the search continues
 
may not be class AB given it has an uneven number of output tubes...
The "seven" in Silver Seven refers to 7 pairs of output tubes, the 15th 6550 is used as a voltage regulator.

FWIW, i'm just parroting what i remember from the review.
 
The "seven" in Silver Seven refers to 7 pairs of output tubes, the 15th 6550 is used as a voltage regulator.

FWIW, i'm just parroting what i remember from the review.

Okay well that makes sense, most Hi Fi tube amps which use a pair of 6550's put out about 50-70 watts so if its seven pairs that would make around 350ish so yes it all makes sense, it fits the 375 you mentioned.
Still it would look and sound great in my lounge.......................
 
Back
Top Bottom