• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Carver TFM amplifier owners -- what preamp are you using?

Anyone using a C2? I picked one of these up complete with the book-like owners manual. I've been out of town so I haven't been able to listen to it yet. Are they well regarded or considered one of Carvers lesser efforts?
 
I have a TFM 45 that needs repair. I am still trying to deside if this amp is work getting repaired. I will use it to drive my Altec 515 woofers only and I've never heard one of these amp. Are they any good.
 
Anthem TLP-1, Harman Kardon HK825 are two I can recommend.

I bought a TLP-1 intending to use it with my TFM-45, but I didn't like it at all as compared to the CT-6. It's fine with my M-500, but it was just flat with the 45 to me. Any special setup you have with the Anthem?
 
I am using a Carver CT-17 because I love the sonic holography and can't listen to music without it now! I run the pre out to a NAD preamp that allows for 2 pre outs. One NAD pre out is further split with quality gold RCA Y cnnnects, male to dual female right angle, so I can bi amp, using a pair of TFM 25 amps at 350 watts @ 4 ohms to drive my Carver ALSiis. One amp for the woofers, one for the ribbons. Second pre out from the NAD feeds a McIntosh MC2205 @ 200 watts that drives Norman Labs model #9s. The nice additional feature of the CT-17 is the remote pre out function that feeds yet a 4th amplifier, a Hafler DH500 at 250 watts driving my KEF 104/2's. Only thing I don't like about the remote out is that it doesn't seem to benefit from the sonic holography. Does anyone else notice that?

Great thing with the CT-17 is that it all works with the remote and the the remote out has it's own separate volume controls.
 
I was using a CT-3 but then switched to a C-4000. After that I used a Spec-1. I've finally decided to stick with Heathkit AP-1800's. In fact I only use AP-1800's on all of my systems Regardless of weather it's a Carver, SAE, nikko or Heathkit amp. Even using one of the AP-1800's in my garage system. I guess the AP-1800 is okay. lol
 
A member of our site (BillD) does a modification of the Carver C-1 that turns it into a giant killer.

Completely silent; utterly musical
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I recently replaced my ct6 with a sunfire classic control center running my TFM45. The increased detail and fluid mids are remarkable. I've rolled a few tubes with more planned in the future.
 
My Carver TFM-25 plays in combination with a MVT Musical Fidelity pre (First series) and sound pretty good. But I am thinking to go with a Yamaha C-85 ...
 
I have the TFM-6CB, TFM-15CB, and TFM-55x(yes, it's the rare one). For the 55x, i've tried a kenwood KC-993 and a CT-27v with a Akai EA-A7 EQ, so far the Akai and the CT-27v are for the 55x, and the 15CB uses the KC-993. as for the 6CB, it is daisychained to the KC-993. I'll let you know when my Pioneer Elite gets to be tried out.
 
Long ago I used a CT-23 with the TFM-35x. I don't think the CT-23 was a very good sounding preamp. I mean, it did its job, but I didn't find it all that musical. In hindsight I'm guessing the 35x would likely sound great with a tube/hybrid preamp in front of it.
 
Back
Top Bottom