• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cary vs. McIntosh reviews

dj_AmTraX

Super Member
Banned
Cary vs. McIntosh reviews (updates)

I just brought a Cary V12 amp on Audiogon. As you all know I have a McIntosh MC352 hooked up to JM Lab Electra. Once I get the amp (hopefully this weekend) I will post a comparasion review.

Anyone here had a chance to compare the V12 to any McIntosh (MC275, MC2102, MC2000)? Please post your findings.

Any suggestions on set-up prior to listening camparasion?

Thanks!

l_2835f99727342887a99fa2466c6956b3.jpg


l_d251ca9bf53bf128868d9a89d0b5c3bf.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
The Cary V12 is a beautiful amp! I considered buying Cary at the time I purchased my MC252 and C220. I eagerly await your review of the V12, and would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has compared other Cary models with McIntosh.
 
I had the chance to do a home demo on the Cary CAD 300SE Signature mono blocks. These are 15 watt single ended 300B tube amps. In comparing the Cary 300SE to McIntosh I found both made beautiful music. Overall I would say McIntosh was more neutral and the Cary had a slight mid-range emphasis with slightly rolled off high frequencies and was a little smoother/relaxed than the McIntosh amps. Considering the Cary was a single ended 300B tube amp it was actually more neutral than I expected.

If I was not addicted to McIntosh I could be happy with the Cary amps.

Have fun with your comparisons.

Victor
 
Dj...Oh man that's a beautiful amp, and very versatile. Dennis Had (Cary chief) actually prefers to use 2- V12's over the monoblock version in what I thought was a very interesting way; Vertical monoblocking. You feed the mid/tweets in triode for midrange sweetness and use the other half of the stereo side in ultra-linear on the woofers for low end grunt. Repeat with a second V12 for your other speaker. Sorry, I'm getting carried away and well ahead of your plans, I know this requires 2 amps and the ability to biamp your speakers.... but do let us know how you like your new amp!
 
I got a chance to do a comparison last night.
l_748428b7e277c45f137ba32cef240659.jpg

Set-up:
Rane SPL/RTA (to set volume level), 2007 IASCA CD (speaker set-up for "Imaging", Sound Stage").
Cd Player - Sony SCD-1 (Audioquest Panther XLR)
Pre-amp - McIntosh MX119 (Audioquest King Cobra XLR)
Speakers - JM Lab Electra 915 (MIT Terminator bi-wire)
CD used - Beatles "LoVe" (track 22), Cyndi Lauper "At Last" (track 6),
51zM1qAS2iL._AA240_.jpg

51UscCo%2BgnL._AA240_.jpg


price paid:
MC352 - $3000 (used)
Cary V12 - $1700 (used)

The MC352 is a GREAT sounding amp. Very detail, fast, good bass, effortless, and very musical. However, compared to the Cary it sounded a bit less realistic. Of all the solid state amps, the MC352 is hands down a BEST buy.

The Cary V12 has every sound benifits of the MC352. The spaciousness and vocals are amazing. The bass is more pronouced than the MC352. The sound stage is wide and the speakers really disappares. It sounds VERY close to "live". For the price it is going for used, you can not beat it.

Both amps are to me a MUST have and are KEEPERS.
 
Back
Top Bottom