• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cassette Deck Recommendations?

I'm going to correct this. The OP mentioned the MKIII, but I was actually referring to the MKVI which is a current Tascam model. The MkIII actually has Dolby B, C and HX. However, both the MkIII and VI are Chinese-made, so I doubt they are of the same quality of the older Japanese-manufactured Teac/Tascams and Sonys.
OP here. Thanks kindly for your thoughts and knowledge swelchsler! Cheers
 
Let us know how things turn out. For whatever deck you choose, you should be prepared to do a cleaning and a belt replacement, and possibly some lubrication. These are old machines.
 
OP here. I’ve just gotten caught up on various posts and reply’s by all. Appreciated! FYI, my current setup is limited compared to others. I have a Pioneer SX-850, a Sansui G5700, a Pioneer PL-530, a Technics SL-1200MK2, a Dock Audio One Little Bear and a pair of Sansui SP-X7700‘s, a set of Pioneer CS-77 and a set of Pioneer CS-99A, a Pioneer CT-F700 that really doesn’t sound all that great. Disappointing to be honest. Maybe there is some issue with it, I’m not sure. But dog gone it sure looks nice! I have a couple hundred vinyl albums that I or my brother had purchased new in ‘70’s and very early 80’s. Also about a hundred or more prerecorded cassettes that I bought, most from the 80’s. as mentioned, the CT-F700 either hasn’t brought the best out of my tapes or my tapes just suck. I will likely pick up the Sony K707ES and see if I can get some enjoyment from my cassettes. If any suggestions on potential issues with my CT-F700, I’d appreciate any thoughts. Thanks again to all with helping land a decision on the deck. Cheers.
 
Let us know how things turn out. For whatever deck you choose, you should be prepared to do a cleaning and a belt replacement, and possibly some lubrication. These are old machines.
Will do! I enjoy taking apart and cleaning vintage electronics. And have a senior (old) tech in my area to whom I will likely hand over the Sony deck for a belt replacement etc. Will give the 707 a new shot at life! Cheers
 
The CT-F700 was a pretty decent deck, especially by the standards of the day. The first obvious solution would be a full cleaning of the heads, capstan and pinch roller. Second would be an azimuth adjustment, which, while you technically need a test tape, I have done it by ear with a known well-recorded tape. And after that, it might be that the electolytic capacitors in the deck have started failing. HiFi engine has a full set of service manuals for the CT-F700, which are quite comprehensive. If you don't have access, PM me your email address and I can send them to you.
 
The CT-F700 was a pretty decent deck, especially by the standards of the day. The first obvious solution would be a full cleaning of the heads, capstan and pinch roller. Second would be an azimuth adjustment, which, while you technically need a test tape, I have done it by ear with a known well-recorded tape. And after that, it might be that the electolytic capacitors in the deck have started failing. HiFi engine has a full set of service manuals for the CT-F700, which are quite comprehensive. If you don't have access, PM me your email address and I can send them to you.
Thank you very much. When I first purchased the CT-F700, it appeared to be in ‘proper’ working order other than a single light out. I dropped it off for my tech to look over, along with a couple other items. Once I collected it a couple weeks later, he said only a $25 charge for checking the deck and replacing the bulb I had pointed out. When I enquired as to how the deck was operating, he sort of ‘skirted’ around any detailed response and moved along to talk about the another item he had done repairs on. To be honest it seemed weird so I have a feeling he didn’t really do any checking or diagnosing at all, just replaced a bulb. Just my thoughts….
 
Did you ever consider a phono pre with a USB out. I have one and can record straight to my laptop from the TT. The program recommended does an excellent job it's easy to use and converts the output to the format you want.
 
Did you ever consider a phono pre with a USB out. I have one and can record straight to my laptop from the TT.
Just curious; what is the point of this? You're converting your analog media to digital, and if you're going to do that, you might as well have purchased the media digitally in the first place (since pro equipment is probably going to have a better A/D converter than you will, so a professionally done conversion to digital will sound better).
 
Just curious; what is the point of this? You're converting your analog media to digital, and if you're going to do that, you might as well have purchased the media digitally in the first place (since pro equipment is probably going to have a better A/D converter than you will, so a professionally done conversion to digital will sound better).
Really I'm stunned you'd even frame your question like this. Why would you record from a superior format(LP) to an inferior cassette. Last deck I had was a 3 head Nakamichi BX 300. It still sounded worse than an LP so what's the point of that. Then you try to slew it to being my fault for not buying the right media. Do you know when most of my LP's were purchased. No is the answer. I also have LP's that sound better than their CD counter parts. For me the answer is obvious. For better sound. Have you tried LP to digital? Next time don't be so tacky how you present you question.
 
I agree, I would love to locate and purchase a Dragon. However that is definitely NOT IN the snack bracket ($) that I am looking to shop in at this time! Cheers
You can't go wrong with any Nakamichi 3 head deck. Their two head decks sound better than most other 3 head decks.

I also don't agree with those who refuse to use Dolby B or C. IME virtually all complaints about "Dulby" are because the record levels are too high. The recommended levels the manufacturers usually suggested were always too high. A Dolby encoded tape has a boosted high frequency that's rolled off during playback. Unfortunately, the damage has already been done by the excessive record level.

Cassette tapes being so narrow and the tracks even narrower are easily subject to tape saturation which leads to high frequency roll-off. My solution to this problem was to confine recording levels to no higher than 0dB for type I. II and III. For type IV tape i would occasionally allow peak levels of +3dB.
 
Last edited:
You can't go wrong with any Nakamichi 3 head deck. Their two head decks sound better than mot other 3 head decks.

The LX-3 is an outstanding 2head Nak deck and one of the best looking with many of the controls behind a door like the 3head LX-5.

NakamichiLX-3Cassette01.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom