• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cassettes Biting Now...

Patriot1776

Cancer Survivor at 26
Oh gosh, now I've gotten another bug starting to bite: playing cassettes in-car again. I just got back from a store run listening to a freshly-made tape of some of my vinyl, and now THAT bug's starting to bite, possibly making more tapes after getting a much better tape deck.

So, since I have to go mail-order for anything, any websites you guys can recommend for new, blank, music-quality 60-minute cassettes?
 
Register to hide this ad
Most folks will suggest either TDK SA or Maxell XL II I think. These are both excellent CrO2 high bias tapes. The older (especially TDK) "models" from the 80s and 90s are supposedly better.

I personally got a fe from "that site" for not too much. Also, found a few (unfortunately 100 minutes long) at a Goodwill.

Amazon still carries both TDK SA and Maxell, but the TDK is way more expensive than the Maxell - I would go with the latter.
Just my $0.02 - YMMV.
 
I been accumulating them from GW lately. Been getting some good ones for 85 cents a piece. It is hit and miss but its been better than my luck with vinyl lately. I dont have a cassette deck in my car anymore though.
 
GW? Anyway, my '93 Ranger has one along with my parents' vehicles. I'm probably certain they don't make car stereos with tape decks now.
 
if you love playing cassettes in car try an Alpine in car cassette unit from the late 80's - late 90's...their better units often had a frequency response of 30hz-20khz which was pretty good for in car cassette. Often they featured a really simple user interface layout too which i found much easier while driving...
the pioneer KEH range up to about the mid 90's were good sounding units too

I'd avoid the later Kenwood units...their user interface was obviously designed by someone who had never sat behind the wheel of a car in motion..:thumbsdn:
 
Hmm...being as my truck is so old and kinda rough looking, I kinda don't wanna sink a ton of money into a stereo that's too high-grade for the truck its in. I'm going to instead I think first look at replacing the speakers first.
 
I just bought a new, second hand ute (you call them mini-trucks, but we invented them, so its a utility or ute for short) that has a tape deck and I've been loving cassettes again. Thrift stores are good sources of blank and pre recorded cassettes. I know the sound quality of pre-recorded tapes isn't that good, but either is the system in my ute and for 50c a go who's arguing
 
Back
Top Bottom