• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CD and Vinyl

Register to hide this ad
As stated in the referenced article, it can REALLY depend on what particular album.....

2 instanced which have very much surprised me......

1) Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms.......
Certainly one of the best sounding CD's I have ever heard
I recently purchased a "Master" 180gram 2 record vinyl version of this album,
thinking it would quite possibly be the best sounding vinyl ever..........
WOW, what a disappointment.
I purchased it brand-new and unopened....yet sounds like a bowl of muffled Rice- Krispys, as well as simply , well, dead.
2) I also purchased an unopened original 1987 pressing of Herb Alpert's
"Keep Your Eye On Me", which I own on cd as well......CD sounds fine...as most
do.........the vinyl sounds flawless...rich, beautiful.......

So I guess ya never know......
 
Frankly it all sounds the same to me. Lol. I cant tell the difference between cartiges and needles, nor cd and vinyl. I just want good qualty. Both will give you that.
 
8 Track?

Hell,4 track is where it's at. I have to agree with the view that it depends on the recordings.
I mean my vinyl pressing of Stan Ridgway's Mosquito's sands tight and bouncy where the CD sounds sterile.
 
I play vinyl as it comes, no messing around with tone controls - unless it's post 8pm when I reduce the bass (and volume). CD's are awfully loud esp. the remasters, I avoid playing them if at all possible.
 
Why CDs sound better than vinyl is the title and then he goes on to say CDs only sound different not better or worse. Sounds like someone was looking for that extra bonus money for lots of links and comments.

You know part of why i like vinyl over cds. Is the fact that when you scratch a record it still tends to work. The same scratch that barely affects a record can render a cd to coaster status. I've actually done that before. I had a friend come over and complain because the record we were listening to had some scratches on it. So I grabbed a CD I didn't care about and scratched it up with a pin and tried to play it. It took about 20 seconds for the CD to stop playing. I didn't even have to say anything he just said "I get your point".
 
Back
Top Bottom