• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CD player: Better to buy new lower-end, or older higher-end?

I'd spend my money on a decent DAC. Much more versatile than the typical CD player.

You can use any CDP or DVD or universal player (SACD and DVD-A playback excepted) that has digital output as a transport, can be used with pretty much anything else having digital output like your computer, squeezebox, or even TV, etc., and in many cases these days USB output can also be connected to the DAC.

I don't understand why more people don't use a device such as a Squeezebox touch. Everybody on AK obviously has a computer. I use the Squeezebox with an external DAC and wirelessly play .flac files from my computer. There is no "transport", laser, etc to be concerned about. The sound quality is excellent. I am only limited in sound quality by the DAC that I employ. I want better quality sound, I buy a better DAC. It is easy to rip files from a CD into your hard drive. I still have all of the CD's that I ripped into my CPU for those that don't just want a "bucket of bits" and need something to hang on to. I can sit at my computer and control everything wirelessly. I have two pretty decent CDP's sitting in my basement now that I will most likely give away. Eventually, I see CDP's going away and all media will be computer based.
 
I don't understand why more people don't use a device such as a Squeezebox touch. Everybody on AK obviously has a computer. I use the Squeezebox with an external DAC and wirelessly play .flac files from my computer. There is no "transport", laser, etc to be concerned about. The sound quality is excellent. I am only limited in sound quality by the DAC that I employ. I want better quality sound, I buy a better DAC. It is easy to rip files from a CD into your hard drive. I still have all of the CD's that I ripped into my CPU for those that don't just want a "bucket of bits" and need something to hang on to. I can sit at my computer and control everything wirelessly. I have two pretty decent CDP's sitting in my basement now that I will most likely give away. Eventually, I see CDP's going away and all media will be computer based.

Some of us have large CD collections (I own more than 6.000). Actually, now is a good time to buy CDs, as many people are following the route you mention.
 
Now that you mention it I love my Jolida, the only thing I have to compare to is my Yammy DVD-S2500. The Yammy sounds wonderful on my theater system but the Jolida on my two channel is warmer (the tube output) and smooth at least thats what my ears tell me.

Good luck searching lots of good players to be found both used and new.

Couple items ...

- CD-Rs are a crapshoot on a good day unless they're finalized on the original machine. Same goes for DVD-R. All drives aren't created equal, and it doesn't take much to throw the tracking off to where any other machine will have "issues".

- I did look up the NAD C-515BEE, and it doesn't seem to be available anymore. Not sure what they replaced it with, but I assUme it's much more expensive. <G>

- It's all about the DAC on a quality player. There's a reason people get rich just developing and franchising those things. We can mostly rely on the analog side to be adequate to the point where any inconsistencies aren't all that noticable.

For me, the OPPO 980H was the only choice ... everything it does, it does well, including SACD. That was also a bit of a sleeper - geared more to audio, leaving video as an afterthought. It's even got an option for turning video off entirely, freeing up those resources to process sound. Without the expensive video decoders, it was a real bargain too. AND, I can play my DVD/a disks without having to find room for yet another box in the audio system. And there's a LOT of good stuff out multi-channel audio that's only available in that format. The OPPO doesn't do BluRay or HDCD, but those weren't available back then. One of these days, I suppose it'll be back to shuffling boxes to make room for something that handles that too.

My only real concern right now ... it's getting a bit long in the tooth, and has a lot of play time on it. So far, absolutely no problems, but there will come a day ... arghh!! I hate when that happens!!

PS ... not sure if I'd ever buy a cd/dvd player used. As said, the transport does age rather quickly, and it's not like you can just recap or put a new belt on when it goes south.

EDIT >> Surprised none of the tube-aholics have mentioned the Jolida JD100A yet ...

31nH5UXid2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
 
:no: Squeezebox touch? It took me a little over 15 years before I became comfortable with the CD format.

Maybe that's why I like CDs more these days. :yes: I really started to get into vinyl when it became obsolete.

I'm like the Grim Reaper .... when it comes to audio formats. Maybe I'll try spinning a LaseDisc tonight. :D

thumbnail.aspx

I have a laserdisc player- I've been thinking of using it as a CD transport in my video system.

That said, a server is in my near-future. I'm trying to eek my way into an audio life that's more about music, and easy access to it, than the ultimate sound quality- which sometimes gets in the way here, of me actually enjoying the music. I wish it weren't so, but that's how its playing out.
 
Now that you mention it I love my Jolida, the only thing I have to compare to is my Yammy DVD-S2500. The Yammy sounds wonderful on my theater system but the Jolida on my two channel is warmer (the tube output) and smooth at least thats what my ears tell me.

I knew I could drag one of you tubers into the discussion. <G>

Truth be told, I've been eyeballing one for a while ...
 
Some of us have large CD collections (I own more than 6.000). Actually, now is a good time to buy CDs, as many people are following the route you mention.

I have a music server that'll rip your CD to flac, hit the internet and get the album art and song titles, and spit your CD back out in just a few minutes. It'll hold 6000 CDs, arrange playlists sorted by artist, genre, etc., and you still have your CD. It syncs up with my wireless home network and will accept songs from iTunes and play internet radio (but the internet radio functionality is pretty weak).

It's just so much more convenient than putting a CD in the drive, plus I can switch between songs on a CD instantly, or even switch between songs on different CDs instantly, or create playlists to do it all for me, or shuffle between songs in a playlist.

Think of a huge CD jukebox with zero lag between CDs. And you can control it all from a smartphone or tablet from the easy chair.
 
Some of us have large CD collections (I own more than 6.000). Actually, now is a good time to buy CDs, as many people are following the route you mention.

Agreed that in many locations it might be a good time to buy CDs for this fact, but bear in mind that in some regions, like the USA, one isn't legally entitled to keep the copy if they sell the original.
 
Agreed that in many locations it might be a good time to buy CDs for this fact, but bear in mind that in some regions, like the USA, one isn't legally entitled to keep the copy if they sell the original.

I am buying CDs and not having the intention of ripping them into my PC! So, I guess what you mention would be a problem for sellers.
 
I have a music server that'll rip your CD to flac, hit the internet and get the album art and song titles, and spit your CD back out in just a few minutes. It'll hold 6000 CDs, arrange playlists sorted by artist, genre, etc., and you still have your CD. It syncs up with my wireless home network and will accept songs from iTunes and play internet radio (but the internet radio functionality is pretty weak).

It's just so much more convenient than putting a CD in the drive, plus I can switch between songs on a CD instantly, or even switch between songs on different CDs instantly, or create playlists to do it all for me, or shuffle between songs in a playlist.

Think of a huge CD jukebox with zero lag between CDs. And you can control it all from a smartphone or tablet from the easy chair.

But for some of us there's really nothing about this proposition we find attractive. First of all, I almost never have the problem people often bring up of not being able to find CDs, and it takes mere seconds to load and start listening to any one of them. Furthermore, some of us don't care at all for the all-digital album experience, meaning everything up to and including looking at album art on a computer screen. And typically when I put on a CD (or a record), I want to listen to most or all of that album. I don't switch around frequently. Also I have zero desire to rip thousands of CDs to a hard drive.

I could go on, and I know more than a few people on AK and elsewhere share this viewpoint. My point is that not all of us see what you describe as a better and more convenient approach to organizing and listening to a CD collection as the better option. Is your preferred way the way of the future, and what most people are switching over to now? Absolutely, and inevitably. Is the CD dead? That's a myth.
 
I have a music server that'll rip your CD to flac, hit the internet and get the album art and song titles, and spit your CD back out in just a few minutes. It'll hold 6000 CDs, arrange playlists sorted by artist, genre, etc., and you still have your CD. It syncs up with my wireless home network and will accept songs from iTunes and play internet radio (but the internet radio functionality is pretty weak).

It's just so much more convenient than putting a CD in the drive, plus I can switch between songs on a CD instantly, or even switch between songs on different CDs instantly, or create playlists to do it all for me, or shuffle between songs in a playlist.

Think of a huge CD jukebox with zero lag between CDs. And you can control it all from a smartphone or tablet from the easy chair.

It's a matter of preferences and time management: I prefer to arrive home, sit and relax while playing a CD on my CDP, which, btw, is a great sounding Astin Trew 3500+ unit.
 
But for some of us there's really nothing about this proposition we find attractive.

I wasn't trying to sell you one. The guy complained that he had 6,000 CDs, my point was I have storage for 6,000 CDs in a box the size of a CD player, and you still have the CDs.

First of all, I almost never have the problem people often bring up of not being able to find CDs, and it takes mere seconds to load and start listening to any one of them.

It takes the drawer on my player longer to open than that. Even if I had every CD in alphabetical order, it'd take me longer than a couple of seconds to scan the shelf, locate the CD, grab it, open the case, get it out, and put it into the tray.

Don't forget, I also have a CD player. I know precisely what's involved in playing a CD.

Furthermore, some of us don't care at all for the all-digital album experience, meaning everything up to and including looking at album art on a computer screen.

I don't look at the album art except as an avatar to help recognize the album.

And typically when I put on a CD (or a record), I want to listen to most or all of that album. I don't switch around frequently.

I don't start or stop albums during play, but I love not having to listen to a CD all the way through. That's one reason I got an iTunes account way back, so I could buy individual songs.

Also I have zero desire to rip thousands of CDs to a hard drive.

Yeah, doing it manually is a drag. But sticking a CD into a slot, while another is playing, and waiting a few minutes until it pops back out with all the data attached is really pretty painless. Really it's about as hard as sticking a CD into a slot, I even forget I've done it until I see it sticking out later. And it's done. No typing track names, no searching for cover art. I can't really imagine a more painless way to do it, but I can see why that doesn't appeal to many.

I could go on, and I know more than a few people on AK and elsewhere share this viewpoint. My point is that not all of us see what you describe as a better and more convenient approach to organizing and listening to a CD collection as the better option.

That's fine. I don't like pushing the eject button, grabbing the disc, putting it in the case, putting the case up, getting another case, opening it, putting the disc on the tray, closing it, and hitting play. But that's just me.

Is your preferred way the way of the future, and what most people are switching over to now? Absolutely, and inevitably.

Maybe, I don't really know or care. I know it works for me.

Is the CD dead? That's a myth.

And it would even be relevent if that's what I had claimed. In every post, I mentioned still having the CD. I'm just talking about a way to organize a lot of them to be instantly available without having to handle them, not doing away with them.
 
It's a matter of preferences and time management: I prefer to arrive home, sit and relax while playing a CD on my CDP, which, btw, is a great sounding Astin Trew 3500+ unit.

That's nice, I too enjoy coming home and listening to a CD. I just do it without physically touching the disc, that's all.

My CD Player is an Oppo BDP83SE, running coaxial into a Bryston BDA-1 DAC. My server is coaxial into another input on the BDA-1. I can toggle back and forth between CD and server, same CD, same song. No difference I can tell.
 
Eventually, I see CDP's going away and all media will be computer based.


I doubt it. There will be some future allure; a Cult of the Arcane sort of thing. Sorta like laser discs and tubes for example. Now, before everyone gets their undies in a bunch, I'm not saying those things are bad, just, well....arcane, by the accounts of the general public. ;)
 
Last edited:
I doubt it. There will be some future allure; a Cult of the Arcane sort of thing. Sorta like laser discs and tubes for example. Now, before everyone gets their undies in a bunch, I'm not saying those things are bad, just, well....arcane, by the accounts of the general public. ;)

I run a music server controlled by an Android tablet into a pair of 40 year old tube amps. Nouveau Arcane.
 
I've always been in the camp that would rather buy a new CD player than a used one. This is because I can never be sure how many hours are on a used player. :sigh: :scratch2: Personally, I have never had a CD player wear out on me.

That's exactly the way I feel about it too. New CD player.

I've wore out 2 CD players, both late 80s, one Sony and one Denon. I really liked the Sony but just wore it out. The Denon, on it's last playing, really trashed my Jimmy Page, 24kt gold, Made in Japan, 'Deathwish' CD. I was, and still am, really bummed about that. The CD still plays well but it's pretty scratched up, as in 'really' trashed scratched. I never really liked the way the Denon sounded anyway, but then that happen.

Anyway...I got a new NAD and it sounds wonderous. Totally happy camper here. I like LPs but this new NAD C-515BEE really sounds outrageously nice.
 
I have several vintage units. Some work better than others. I recently found a Sony CDP-670 for $9.99 at a local thrift and got it home only to discover that the tray occasionally did not like to open. It turned out to be a bad belt, so I replaced it and it has worked solidly since. One thing I really like about this unit is that it has a very solid transport even though it doesn't appear at first glance to be so. It never skips and plays everything I throw at it. It can't be beat for the price!

Sony CDP-670
 
Back
Top Bottom