• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

cd player recommendations

Just saw this is a very old thread. Not sure if my comment was appropriate, but I'd be interested to hear how this guy stacks up against some of the others in the thread, even though it is not a dedicated CD player.
 
Just saw this is a very old thread. Not sure if my comment was appropriate, but I'd be interested to hear how this guy stacks up against some of the others in the thread, even though it is not a dedicated CD player.

Having heard all of them I'd say that the Oppo wouldn't fare particularly well. Then again I don't think any of the Oppo's sound good for music. Damn good video players though. I suppose the NuForce Editions could be another story and I have not listened to those.
 
Thanks, Art. Now, I might have to check them out. I picked up an Oppo on the cheap and think it sounds pretty good with my tube pre, not so much with the onkyo. I did have an older NAD I gave away that was also very nice to my ears, but the Oppo will do SACDs and DVD-A, too. I am not married to any of it, and given their respective price points, I might be interested in an upgrade.
 
Thanks, Art. Now, I might have to check them out. I picked up an Oppo on the cheap and think it sounds pretty good with my tube pre, not so much with the onkyo. I did have an older NAD I gave away that was also very nice to my ears, but the Oppo will do SACDs and DVD-A, too. I am not married to any of it, and given their respective price points, I might be interested in an upgrade.

I love the sound of the current crop of NAD players, however, due to my own difficult experiences with their reliability I can't recommend them. The Marantz CD5004 is not a prime time player to my ears. It's a decent deck but not for primary use. The Cambridge units are well built but maintain just a bit more of the old school digital sound that most other manufacturers have gotten away from. If I were in the market for a CD player in the $500 price range I would call up a dealer who carries the TEAC Reference PD-H600 and try to talk them down as far as they will go. It has much of the characteristics of the best NAD players but better, much better. I'd bet you could get one for less than $600 and not be in the market for a CD player again for a long time.

Folks who know me also know that I don't recommend what I use just because, but instead only make those recommendations when I feel it's appropriate.
 
I love the sound of the current crop of NAD players, however, due to my own difficult experiences with their reliability I can't recommend them. The Marantz CD5004 is not a prime time player to my ears. It's a decent deck but not for primary use. The Cambridge units are well built but maintain just a bit more of the old school digital sound that most other manufacturers have gotten away from. If I were in the market for a CD player in the $500 price range I would call up a dealer who carries the TEAC Reference PD-H600 and try to talk them down as far as they will go. It has much of the characteristics of the best NAD players but better, much better. I'd bet you could get one for less than $600 and not be in the market for a CD player again for a long time.

Folks who know me also know that I don't recommend what I use just because, but instead only make those recommendations when I feel it's appropriate.

I will simply have to take a listen. :music: First priority is a a retip, but this might be a close second. I need to decide which set of speakers to sell, then I can probably fund this without a net debit.
 
Back
Top Bottom