• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CD Players -- "Pro" vs. Consumer

cpmschd

No Distortion
I need a 2nd CD player (for a vintage system I am giving to my son for his birthday). Is there any significant audible difference between "pro" CD players and "consumer" units? For example, I'm looking at an almost-new Marantz PMD-331 on CL. Or, I can order something like the Oppo DV-980H for $169 (I have the DV-980H on my stack -- and it sounds fine to me). I'm guessing that the pro units are more durable (controls/switches, disk transport mechanism) but the laser and circuitry are basically the same either way. Can anyone weigh-in on this? Thanks.

JF
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm probably in the minority, but spend the money on a dac. Also In my experience, Price, has nothing to do with durability.
 
klama... thanks for the reply. I don't mind spending money (I'm on the AK forum -- duh!)... but what is a "dac"...??
 
Last edited:
klama... thanks for the reply. I don't mind spending money (I'm on the AK forum -- duh!)... but what is a "dac"...??

DAC is a digital to analog converter. CDP has a DAC chip built into the machine. It converts the CD digital signal to analog and you output the analog signal to your receiver to your speakers. If your son is in to digital download or he prefers to stream the music from his computer, an external DAC is much more versatile especially a unit with USB connection.

Google DACmagic by Cambridge Audio, reasonably priced and very flexible with three inputs (USB, Coax, and Toslink). If you are not familiar with DAC, you can also google DAC for some basic knowledge. You son can stream music from his laptop (interent radio, his music files, etc.), or use his dvd/cd drive to play CD then output it through the USB port >DAC>receiver> speakers.

DACmagic is one of the many brands available. It is a budget unit with lots of positive reviews. There are also wireless USB DAC in case his computer is not close to the stereo setup and if he does not want to run a long USB cable.

PM me if you need more info on wireless USB DAC.

mP
 
Also, a lot of times.... when it comes to digital music..... all DAC's (digital to analog converter) sound different, but not always better. Every cd player you buy, will have a onboard dac. But if you buy a device dedicated to that function, you could often times get very good sound.

I've used the entech devices with success, as well as others. Many could be had at below your price.
 
Also, a dac will work with any transport/cd player/dvd player, that has either a coax, or toslink out.


Edit, or computer...... that has either. Playstation.......ext.
 
Klama & MP...

Thanks for the heads-up. Yes, I have heard of DAC -- but didn't know you could buy a separate standalone unit. I will look into it.
 
Professional player would have superior CD playback performance and reliable operation with fast disc loading. While I love Oppo DVD players, they're not suitable for broadcast or club use playing Compact Discs. The Marantz mentioned is a great sounding player with a good reputation for dependable service. Our radio stations use them a lot. Never had one fail on me doing 8-12 hour a day use over 4 years.
 
Or, since the technology changes every few years, just get a decent DVD player that will handle all formats (CD, CD-R, DVD-R, etc.). I have two, a Sony and an Onkyo, both with Burr-Brown DAC chip sets internal (192/24 KHz). The both handle audio CDs very well. The Sony is a bit better sounding, but both are fine compared to all my older dedicated CD players. All the older ones have come and gone but the Magnavox and these two DVD players.
 
I'm a big fan of DACs myself- I own three of them.


However I was also impressed with the sound of the modern offerings from Cambridge Audio and Rotel- fantastic sound from the Cambridge 640c, 640c II and Rotel 1070 and 1072.

Parts are readily available, and the units easily serviceable, and at least the Cambridge uses a Sony laser.


As for pro units, Marantz makes one that has pitch control- pretty neat- and Denom, Marantz, etc make some durable pro units- nice to consider as a transport to use with a DAC.
 
+1 on the stand alone DAC.

I've got a Cambridge Audio DacMagic and like it. Cheap too, all things considered. I would've prefered the CA 840c player, which can also be used as an outboard DAC, but double the price, and I had a decent transport.

The other DAC I almost bought was the TADAC.
 
For example, I'm looking at an almost-new Marantz PMD-331 on CL.......

I have a Marantz PMD-330 CDP that I use in my bedroom system and have been quite pleased with it. I have had it probably 10+ years and have not had a single problem with it. Very durable and sounds pretty darn good to me:thmbsp:
 
Remember, a DAC is only as good as the transport feeding it. If the datastream isn't linear and accurate how could the bits be expected to come out right? :D Seriously, some " prosumer " decks like the high end Marantzii are nice all arounders IMO.
 
Back
Top Bottom