• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CD recording

Edriz

AK Member
I'm finally working on rebuilding my stereo system after many years but back in the day CD was just coming on the scene. I am looking at a Pioneer PDR-509 CD Recorder/Player. I know I want a recorder as 90% of my LP's were only played 1 time and that was when I bought them. Once I bought an LP, I would right away either record it on Reel or cassette tape and immediately the LP went into a protective sleeve not to be played again unless the tape was lost or destoyed.

I thought I would get a CD recorder for much the same purpose, only now I would take my LP collection and start recording them on CD to preserve the LP's. I'm not sure if my Reel to Reel and cassette tapes are in any condition to be played after all these years( 25-28). I just got a Pioneer SX 1980 that I want to hook the Pioneer PDR-509 CD Recorder to. Obviously the SX1980 doesn't have jacks to hook a CD to. I need to know if the CD recorder/player would work okay using one of the Tape in/out jacks. I need the other Tape Jacks for a cassette deck.

Thanks for any advice

Ed
 
Register to hide this ad
you can play cds thru the aux input and probably record them thru the tape rec jack. to record a LP play it thru phono and record it thru tape rec.. think that's how it works. If not someone else will straighten it out.
 
One of the tape circuits should work just fine for the CD recorder.

I was sure hoping that I could use one of the tape circuits. I really don't think the Reel to Reel tapes will be any good after all this time. Especially since they haven't been used at all. I have used most of the cassettes. I know some of the cassettes have drop offs at the high freq range but they are known for that. They can and will be replaced.

Fortunately I have the LP's to replace them. Unfortunately as for the reel tapes, when I was in the Army, in Germany, I was able to get my hands on alot of German rock music that I recorded on Reel to reel that I won't be able to replace.

Thanks for your advice

Ed
 
I have my Pioneer PDR-555RW CD recorder hooked up as my "Tape Deck 2 Monitor" using the in and out jacks on the receiver and Pioneer CD recorder. And my Yamaha K-1020 as Tape Deck 1.

This way I can use the Pioneer exactly like a 2nd tape deck. Record from any available source: Turntable, Tape deck 1, FM, Aux, etc.

The only way to figure out if your tape decks work is try them. At the very least, clean the tape path heads, capstan, and especially the pinch rollers. If you feel comfortable open the cover and clean the inside for any dust and lube the spindle motor with a drop of Tri-Flow. Maybe even demagnetize the heads.

I have revived 2 cassette decks that had been stored and that stopped or stalled while playing tapes just by doing the above and scrubbing the layer of tape residue off the pinch rollers. I would change q-tips as they got dark and dirty. Used about 7 double tipped q-tips. I would remove the cassette well cover for easier access (they usually slide off), press the sensors in to make the deck think a tape was in. With my other hand, I Pressed play, and cleaned the spinning capstan and pinch roller -- like brushing teeth.

If that doesn't work it may be belts or idler wheels, but if you don't feel comfortable doing more than cleaning, many good quality tape decks can be found under $50 locally. There are threads on that very subject recently.

Since you don't have a location here's the Pioneer Europe link to the PDR 509 owner manual (choose your language under the Compact Disc Recorder options)
http://www.service.pioneer-eur.com/peeservice/RegistrInstrMan.nsf/search?openform&Modelnr=pdr-509
 
I've never used one of those devices. I would imagine it works simliarly to a tape deck. I would try recording FM or something (CD-R's are cheap) and see what happens.

This is probably much, much easier than recording LPs to computer -- my first few experiences at that so far are that it is a gigantic PITA to break up the tracks (correctly) fill in the album information, etc.

Maybe net time I will just record the whole thing and not worry about breaking up the tracks but hate not having that info available when playing on the ipod.

I'm curious to hear how this works out as maybe I will try this too. Either that or maybe see what I can make of minidisc. I think R2R would be too unwieldy but... well I don't know.

Sorry I can't be of much help.
 
I've never used one of those devices. I would imagine it works simliarly to a tape deck. I would try recording FM or something (CD-R's are cheap) and see what happens.

This is probably much, much easier than recording LPs to computer -- my first few experiences at that so far are that it is a gigantic PITA to break up the tracks (correctly) fill in the album information, etc.

Maybe net time I will just record the whole thing and not worry about breaking up the tracks but hate not having that info available when playing on the ipod.

I'm curious to hear how this works out as maybe I will try this too. Either that or maybe see what I can make of minidisc. I think R2R would be too unwieldy but... well I don't know.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Good point to mention about track indexing, my Pioneer PDR standalone CD recorder has an Auto Track feature, but I turn that off and record LPs a whole side at a time (just like a tape recording) because long silences can fool Auto Track and stop when I don't want it to.

So I basically have 2 long tracks. More if I decide to add on to fill the disc.

I understand any further editing can be done on a computer but I haven't been tempted yet.
 
Hey Shimniok,
I'm not into that ipod thing, I think they sound like crap personally. I want hi fidelty myself and I want it loud. I almost went for a digital turntable to record to the computer then burn to CD. I'm not into that either. I am more of a stereo geek I guess. In my day we were called Audiophiles.

The only reason I consider the CDis because of the times. I do despise change. I would really like to keep the reel to reel tapes but I'm sure they wouldn't work. When I do my recording, I always record the entire album. I never do compilations.

Thanks
 
Hi Terra1,

I'm not worried about the tape decks working, I'm concerned with the condition of the reel to reel tapes. They have been in storage since 1983!! I am just starting to build my stereo system back up. Back in 1985, when I got married, the stereo I came home from the service with was replaced with a wife, 2 children, first an apartment (Klipch LaScalas in an apartment are not very feesable in an apartment with 2 Carver cube power amps) then a house,etc.

Now, it's my turn. I am starting to get my gear back. I decided against the Carver equipment this time and the Klipch. The one thing I hung on to was my Bose 901 Series 4's I got when I was in Colorado in 79. I sold a Pioneer SX1980 when I got the Carvers so I decided to go back to the SX 1980. It's on it's way. I went with the same Cassette player I has the CT-950 and RT-707 Reel. I just bid on the CD recorder/Player so we'll see. I've never used one that's why I was asking how to set it up hoping I could use one of the tape monitor loops. I'm glad you confirmed what I was hoping.

Ed
 
I have a pioneer PDR CD recorder and have it connected to 1 of the 2 tape input/output jacks on my Kenwood KA-400 amp. Works quite well that way as I can record from any other source connected to the amp.
 
Just go from the tape out to the Auxilary in on the cd recorder.

What he said. The CD-R is just like a tape machine except it doesn't have simultaneous monitoring like a three head deck.

Sounds like a good plan. Hope you have vacation saved.
 
I've used my TDK DA-5900 home CD recorder for some years to record any source onto blank music CD-R's & CD-RW's. It works very easy, and I have it hooked up as a "tape deck" through my 2nd tape monitor loop on my EQ. My only issue is getting the recording level high enough when recording from vinyl - I usually need to increase the output level via the EQ to achieve the proper level. I can increase the track number by pressing the record button between tracks. On my recorder, the file format is CDI. (or is it CDA.?) I think, so I can then transfer to my computer, convert to WAV. format, and run it through a cleaning program if needed. Time consuming, but it all works very nicely.

And my friends love it, as I seem to be the last man in my neighborhood with a turntable.

Rob
 
Hifirob2, I may have to do some screwing around. I was wondering if the input woulkd be enough. I my have to run it through the tape monitor. I wasn't sure about getting an eq just yet. Back years ago, I did have an SAE parametric EQ. I never messed with a graphic EQ. I like how the parametric worked and what it did.

I still haven't decided about a reel to reel deck yet. I hate to buy one if my tapes are messed up. I can't see how they can be good after all this time. I may have to find some one locally that may have a reel to reel deck and see if they are worth trying to use.

Anyone have any idea on the life of a reel tape??

Ed
 
Hifirob2, I may have to do some screwing around. I was wondering if the input woulkd be enough. I my have to run it through the tape monitor. I wasn't sure about getting an eq just yet. Back years ago, I did have an SAE parametric EQ. I never messed with a graphic EQ. I like how the parametric worked and what it did.

I still haven't decided about a reel to reel deck yet. I hate to buy one if my tapes are messed up. I can't see how they can be good after all this time. I may have to find some one locally that may have a reel to reel deck and see if they are worth trying to use.

Anyone have any idea on the life of a reel tape??

Ed

The PDR 509 is very similar to my PDR 555 and is a very sophisticated machine.

The 509 has a separate Analog Recording Level knob for analog input (turntable, FM, Aux, etc). The outside ring controls the Left channel input level, the inside knob controls the Right channel input. They can be rather tight to turn and set since they are meant to turn in tandem.

I don't use an EQ and the sound level is fine for LP recording.

As far as tapes, I don't know the shelf life, but if they were stored well, they could still be good enough to play. You could have just as big a chance of some of your records warped. Anyway, worth a try to see if they play, if they are irrepaceable. I would try playing a blank Reel or one that you don't care about to see if the machine eats it before trying one of the prized reels. Which is why I recommend doing cleaning and lubing first. I don't have R2R but most of my cassette tapes are from 80s forward and they fine. The failure factor has been more connected to storage (car=summer heat) and quality of brand.
 
If you want to save a lot of CDs, you could use a CD-RW in the CD recorder, and then copy it to a CD-R in your computer as soon as you have a recording you're happy with. This will also allow you to avoid using music CD-Rs (you will need a music CD-RW though). As an added bonus, you can easily split the tracks up with free audio editing software like Audacity.
 
I'm finally working on rebuilding my stereo system after many years but back in the day CD was just coming on the scene. I am looking at a Pioneer PDR-509 CD Recorder/Player. I know I want a recorder as 90% of my LP's were only played 1 time and that was when I bought them. Once I bought an LP, I would right away either record it on Reel or cassette tape and immediately the LP went into a protective sleeve not to be played again unless the tape was lost or destoyed.

I thought I would get a CD recorder for much the same purpose, only now I would take my LP collection and start recording them on CD to preserve the LP's. I'm not sure if my Reel to Reel and cassette tapes are in any condition to be played after all these years( 25-28). I just got a Pioneer SX 1980 that I want to hook the Pioneer PDR-509 CD Recorder to. Obviously the SX1980 doesn't have jacks to hook a CD to. I need to know if the CD recorder/player would work okay using one of the Tape in/out jacks. I need the other Tape Jacks for a cassette deck.

Thanks for any advice

Ed

Ed;

The RTR tapes should be just fine. The exception I've found is a brand (name is missing in my brain) that used a non-stick backing colored black. Those will pretty much as a rule not work well at all as they stick then stretch. I've taken tapes from the 1970's and done the digital conversion with only one problem - snapping apart! Fortunately it did only once. Best bet, play each tape through once before recording. Cassettes should be treated the same way. I can't recall going back that far in time with any but may have already done that. Just be prepared to repair either tape format before recording.

The tape out is perfect for routing the sound. Just as long as the LP's get their equalization, it will work out. My only question about using a tape via amp/receiver to CD recorder is does the CD recorder have a buffer under run feature? For CD's to properly burn they must have a steady stream of data. If that data skips a beat or takes 5 then the CD becomes a coaster. If the machine you're buying has that then it will work.

The only other issue that might concern you would be whatever tape hiss there is on the original recordings. If you're OK with tape hiss on the CD that's great!

The best part of your post is you preserved the LP's well. I love it when I find a nearly unused LP. You got clean media to begin with and that shortens the time to record. Yeah, I do the media to the hard drive routine. But in the end you will have a quality CD for listening. :banana:
 
If you want to save a lot of CDs, you could use a CD-RW in the CD recorder, and then copy it to a CD-R in your computer as soon as you have a recording you're happy with. This will also allow you to avoid using music CD-Rs (you will need a music CD-RW though). As an added bonus, you can easily split the tracks up with free audio editing software like Audacity.

I had forgotten about the price for music CD-Rs. This man has a good idea.
 
As far as tapes, I don't know the shelf life, but if they were stored well, they could still be good enough to play. You could have just as big a chance of some of your records warped. Anyway, worth a try to see if they play, if they are irrepaceable. I would try playing a blank Reel or one that you don't care about to see if the machine eats it before trying one of the prized reels. Which is why I recommend doing cleaning and lubing first. I don't have R2R but most of my cassette tapes are from 80s forward and they fine. The failure factor has been more connected to storage (car=summer heat) and quality of brand.

I agree- clean and demagnetize the heads and entire tape path first. Then the tapes should be rewound before playing. Ideally, they SHOULD have been stored 'tails out'- ready for a rewind before play. In lieu of that, rewind them twice. If they're not ready to play now... then they never will be. Good luck.
Brian
 
Good Morning Terra1
All my tapes, cassettes and reel were always stored indoors and kept warm. I don't have any tape machines yet. I didn't hang on to my gear through the years. That's why I was saying I'm starting to rebuild my stereo equipment. So fay, I have replaced purchased the Pioneer SX1980 and the CT-F950. I did manage to keep my Bose 901 series IV's. I just put a bid on the RT 707 this morning. That's why I was hoping my reel tapes will be OK. I always used either TDK or Maxell tapes for cassettee or reel and only chrome, never metal. The metal cassette never impressed me.

I never would leave my cassette tapes in the car, not over night anyway. I haven't got the cassette deck yet but was told it was completely refurbished. I will be sure to check it over real good.
Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom