• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CDP upgrading

guiller

Toscaninichus Australis
Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my Cambridge Audio 640 C V2 CDP. A natural choice is the Cambridge Audio 840 C. At about the same price, a local dealer is offering a Unison Unico CDP with two ECC82 tubes and Crystal CS4392 DAC, but the units have to be ordered. The dealer has now the TOTL model Unico CDE for auditioning, but I cannot afford to buy one at this moment. I would like to ask for opinions regarding the Unison CDPs, specially in terms of quality and reliability, since the Cambridge Audio is available for auditioning and I've got the experience from the 640 . Many thanks in advance for any inputs.
 
Register to hide this ad
...not what you wanted but the 840s I have heard are a nice improvement over my 640c V1 and V2...good luck with your choice...
Bill
 
I don't know about the one you're asking about, but I can't imagine how you'd possibly go wrong with the 840, given the absolutely rave reviews from everyone. I don't think I've read a negative word about it.

Of course, I am now firmly entrenched in the Naim camp when it comes to CD players, so my other recommendation would be to buy a used CD5i-2. ;)
 
Never have seen an 840 or a 640, but have heard the Unison Unico CDP, and it is a wonderful sounding player. Based on specs, the Unison has better output and DAC, but one thing we have learned is that sometimes specs are not everything.
 
I don't know about the one you're asking about, but I can't imagine how you'd possibly go wrong with the 840, given the absolutely rave reviews from everyone. I don't think I've read a negative word about it.

Of course, I am now firmly entrenched in the Naim camp when it comes to CD players, so my other recommendation would be to buy a used CD5i-2. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion: I've reading your review with great interest. The main issue is that there is no Naim local dealer, so I would have to take a chance and buy it online, but your strong views on it made me consider even this possibility. I'm not decided yet.
 
I love my Marantz but have been drooling over the 840C lately. It is available locally too. The player intrigues me as does the Naim.
 
I’ve heard both. I think the Cambridge is overall more resolved and dynamic, while the Unison is warmer and throws a better soundstage. The Cambridge also IMO has slightly more controlled bass. Depends totally on your listening preferences. Both are worthy.
 
I’ve heard both. I think the Cambridge is overall more resolved and dynamic, while the Unison is warmer and throws a better soundstage. The Cambridge also IMO has slightly more controlled bass. Depends totally on your listening preferences. Both are worthy.

Many thanks for sharing your views!
 
Guiller, I'll trade you my 840c for 100 of your choice CDs...
Seriously though It's a good unit and one that people with warm or tube systems seem report satisfaction with more than folks with more neutral electonics.
Bringing it home for the evening is key. You deserve something worthy of that great collection of music you have.
 
Guiller, I'll trade you my 840c for 100 of your choice CDs...
Seriously though It's a good unit and one that people with warm or tube systems seem report satisfaction with more than folks with more neutral electonics.
Bringing it home for the evening is key. You deserve something worthy of that great collection of music you have.

Thanks! Yes, the idea is to rediscover my CD collection with a CDP upgrade. I´ve been enjoying my Cambridge Audio 640 C immensely in the last year and a half, and now I feel ready for another step up. The three CDPs mentioned in this thread are the ones I am more seriously considering.
 
Thanks for the suggestion: I've reading your review with great interest. The main issue is that there is no Naim local dealer, so I would have to take a chance and buy it online, but your strong views on it made me consider even this possibility. I'm not decided yet.

I took a chance and got lucky, although I've purchased most of my audio equipment without being able to hear it first, and I've almost never been disappointed. The thing with the Naim that I didn't mention is that I've read some people are turned off by what they feel is an overly forward presentation. As you know, I love the thing, but I wanted to mention that just so you can consider whether it will likely suite your tastes.

I feel that the state of technology and design of modern CD players is just fantastic, so you're likely to be very happy with whatever you choose.

You deserve something worthy of that great collection of music you have.

Yes in my mind there's no question about this after seeing the pictures of guiller's CD collection, it's definitely justified.
 
This is probably what I'll do (based on your recommendation).

Before you do, try the Rega Saturn at the reduced price. It's a nice step up from the CD5i-2 for just a bit more dough. I might add that I am quite a fan of the CD5i-2 as well.
 
I like the Rega CD players I've heard, a lot. Naim, too, at least the little time I've spent with them. I can't say I'm too big of a fan of the Cambridge 640 v2 in my new system, just really bad synergy going on I think. Because of that I was out listening to CD players tonight and have to agree with those who say to try to get an in home audition. I was listening to a $3000 Marantz Reference player and darned if it didn't sound worse than what I have at home, due to the room and gear it was playing through. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's nearly impossible to tell what something will sound like until it's in your home system.
 
I like the Rega CD players I've heard, a lot. Naim, too, at least the little time I've spent with them. I can't say I'm too big of a fan of the Cambridge 640 v2 in my new system, just really bad synergy going on I think. Because of that I was out listening to CD players tonight and have to agree with those who say to try to get an in home audition. I was listening to a $3000 Marantz Reference player and darned if it didn't sound worse than what I have at home, due to the room and gear it was playing through. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's nearly impossible to tell what something will sound like until it's in your home system.

I don't like the Cambridge or Marantz cd players. Too many that sound better at their respective prices. The low end Marantz may be their best buy. I've always felt that the Cambridge players are sterile and uninvolving. Kind of like a Rotel without the muscle.

Keep in mind that this relates to my listening preferences only and is only expressed as an opinion based on my ears YMMV.
 
Thanks for your views. I'll add the Rega Saturn to the list at Art K,'s suggestion then! I am now in the process of setting up an audition session of the Unison CD Primo at the dealer's place. He would allow me to bring my Cambridge Audio 640 C v2 for a comparison. Of course, I don't expect the CA to sound comparable in quality to the Unison, but this test can give me an idea of how the Unison could sound at home. One thing I bear in mind is that this is the only CDP with tubes of all the ones mentioned in this thread, I believe. I'm curious to test the Unison therefore.
 
Thanks for your views. I'll add the Rega Saturn to the list at Art K,'s suggestion then! I am now in the process of setting up an audition session of the Unison CD Primo at the dealer's place. He would allow me to bring my Cambridge Audio 640 C v2 for a comparison. Of course, I don't expect the CA to sound comparable in quality to the Unison, but this test can give me an idea of how the Unison could sound at home. One thing I bear in mind is that this is the only CDP with tubes of all the ones mentioned in this thread, I believe. I'm curious to test the Unison therefore.

I guess I forgot to bring up the Rega Saturn because it's slightly out of the discussed price range, unless you buy used. But by all means if you can afford one, do listen before you decide on any others. I've heard some great things about the Apollo and much more so the Saturn, plus I thoroughly enjoyed the original Planet I had, before it died. The Planet was my wake-up call about CDs; before that I didn't know what audiophile CD players were capable of. Plus the Saturn has the coolest name of any of the models we're discussing, IMO. :D

The key with the Unison will be whether they made a tubey sounding CD player, or a neutral, transparent CD player with the sonic benefits of tubes, which is basically what the Jolida 100 is, albeit not the last word in any category, I think. You'll have to find out.
 
Mr. Lin knows his stuff! Rega Saturn by all means if you can swing it. Great value for the price. Plus, ANYTHING that Rega makes goes like hotcakes and you could sell it on Audiogon for a very good price if it doesn't work out.

Heck I would even look at their "R" series speakers, integrated amps and especially turntables.
 
Plus, ANYTHING that Rega makes goes like hotcakes and you could sell it on Audiogon for a very good price if it doesn't work out.

Tell me about it. Try and guess what happened when I attempted to buy a used Apollo on Audiogon several times. You have to be very fast. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom