• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Celestion 66 recapping

Harvey/ Ga

Super Member
Has anyone recapped the Celestion 66??
I have recapped my Wharfedale 60E and 70E and Smaller Advents with no problems,
mostly using Dayton Poly's and Solens.
I've seen a recap using 70Mfd caps (pricey!!), but methinks I can do it.

There's also an English outfit (amocomcrossovers) on Ebay that makes new crossovers for many hi-grade speakers. Cost is about 50% more then if I do it myself, but it includes air core or iron core coils as well.
IIRC, air core coils are supposed to be a bit better then iron cor, for reasons that now escape my ancient brain.

They also use some capacitors that supposedly mimic the resistance of the older caps. Never heard of these caps.
Please help me decide the best way to go. The extra money, while considerable on a retired income, would possibly be well spent if the (non-poly??)caps do a good job, along with proper coils.

Methinks that the speakers are the mkll version. They have a somewhat larger voice coil in the woofer and a higher power rated midrange.
 
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom