• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Celestion Ditton 250. Any Experience ?

E.Man

Super Member
Celestion Ditton 250. Any Experience ?

Am helping a friend put together a system and he has these. Very little info online about them. Does anyone have any experience with them.

3 way, 8 inch driver, seem efficient ?
 
Register to hide this ad
I had some years ago,they are decent for what they are,but I would not consider them a main speaker.you probaly want to get someting a little beefier.or these could be ok if you are not criticle able volume and playing rock and metal.maybe you can describe some of the musical habits and the size of the listening space.but these are a good speaker.just not all purpose.in the world of speakers today the choices are stellar and quite complex in choosing the right ones.those ditton's are quite common I am sure some others will chime in with their opinions.Good luck and have fun.
 
Thanks for your comments.
Reconsidering my own comments I might say average sort of efficiency for their age and style.

I agree with you. Generally OK for what they are but not big or brilliant.

He's one of these strange actual Muso playing people who doesn't seem to notice reproduced music quality. He was using a plastic boom box with plastic crap sub located in the hard corner in the kitchen. Oh, that was bad.
So now we've moved on to Dual TT (505) , respected 1970s Marantz amp( model?), which could do with more grunt frankly , and the celestions D.205.
He was looking at silly new towers that are made as surround fronts with 6" driver and I said get a real stereo speaker with bigger drivers. So he got those. Since this is what happens I'm not investing a lot in the outcomes but we always try to get the best don't we. Trying to limit my role to just friend support.

To your comments. I don't think 'critical' is at all important. First time I went there when he got this gear he was very happy and there was a drum kit vibrating away in the room ! I think the idea here is amusement.
The room is shocking at the moment. Unfinished wood floor, uncovered glass wall/windows, high irregular ceiling. It's a tizzy and distorting echo chamber.
 
I have these and they are quite good and musical. Fabric dome tweeter and paper mid and bass. They are an acoustic design and the mid is isolated with a kind of transmission tube extending to the back of the enclosure. I think they are the first computer-designed speakers for Celestion, circa 1982 I think. a few years ago I replaced all 5 capacitors in each one in my pair with modern polypropylene film capacitors. Just used the Dayton generic brand. But this was a VERY nice upgrade to an already good speaker. Maybe it was because the original capacitors were 30 years old or maybe the change to film was the difference, but the midrange and bass got noticeable more accurate and clear. I have them in a bedroom/office and really like them for music.
 
Thanks for your comments.

Last time I was there he had moved them from the proper placement with isolators where I put them back to being directly on a raw wood floor against the wall. : (
Which means I doubt he's going to bother actually upgrading them. I know what you mean tho since I did my main speakers and altho there was nothing wrong in the first place I did get some improvement since they were 'older' already.
 
Hi E. Man,

ad these speakers for about a year. Just upgraded to Fuseliers :music:.
I sold my Infinity RS6001 to replace them with the celestions. Found that the Infinity's were a bit too boomy for my small living room. Never regradded that. They are a pair of fairly good speakers, nicely balanced. they keep there head high against the likes of B&W DM 110/220. I really enjoyed them. I used a silver plated speaker cable with them(QED Genesis) and that made the sing even better. If you're not looking for a high end top of the line speaker they are an excellent choice.
 
I am listening to a pair of Celestion Ditton 250 as I write this. The have a 3 drivers, an 8 inch woofer, 5 inch mid, and 30mm cloth dome tweeter. After a brief listening period, here are my impressions. They have brilliant highs and warm mids, but weak bass -- -exactly what I would expect from an 8 inch woofer in mid sized bookshelf acoustic suspension box. They are very well balanced through their range, but deficient in bass for my tastes. For their size they are very good, but for bass you would need a subwoofer. To verify this, I just added a JBL 12 inch sub and changed to 7 channel from 2 channel stereo, with a lowpass to the sub at 100Hz. Better, but I personally prefer a stronger bass from a 12 woofer in a somewhat larger enclosure. Due to compact size, these will do fine in a small bedroom. For the bargain price I paid, I cannot complain.
 
Back
Top Bottom