• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Centrex RH-65 player/recorder questions

tg33

New Member
Hello,

First post and audio fledgling here :)

I recently picked up a Centrex RH-65 8-track player/recorder (+ original manual and a few tapes) and had a few questions. In digging online, I am seeing three different front-plate logo variations: 'Centrex' only (my model), 'Centrex by Pioneer' ('by Pioneer' in small text under Centrex), and 'Pioneer' only. I gather they are all made by Pioneer, but are there any differences between the three?

Secondly, I would like to see if the regular play (non-recording) functionality works. Exactly what type of cords and equipment would I need to test that?

Lastly, any cleaning tips? Considering opening the top plate to check out the internals.


Thank you for your time! Hopefully my attached pictures work.


front.jpg back.jpg 3556160859044049369.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I've never seen any Centrex stuff that doesn't also say Pioneer, but that's just me. Centrex products were imported to the US in the '70s by Pioneer's car stereo division in Caifornia, which was a separate company from Pioneer's hifi division based on the east coast. Sorta like Panasonic and Technics, if you will.

Your unit is a deck, just like a cassette deck. You'll need some sort of amplification to plug it into, just a pair of RCA interconnects will do.

Cleaning: Isopropyl alcohol on the head surface, same thing on the capstan if it looks like it needs it. If you're up to it, the record switch on the front panel should be cycled (pushed in and out) as many times as you can. They tend to oxidize and cause malfunctions from not being used. Further cleaning of the contacts inside might be necessary. Check the belt, also, of course.

Enjoy!
 
Back
Top Bottom