• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Century L100 replacement

MatteSpatte

New Member
Hi guys, I have (or rather had...) a pair of JBL Century L100 that was damaged when moving. It was a moving company that took care of the move, so I am coverd by insurance, but I have to find out the replacement value.

Which new speaker would be closest to the Century's?

Thanks

Matte
 
Register to hide this ad
What about them was damaged? There are lots of fixers here that can give pointers etc. Don't let the insurance co. ste*****take them, even if the cabs are trashed the parts are worth some change. If you liked the L100's, you might want to stick with vintage/classic speakers as I don't know of any decent 12" 3-ways being made, just cheesy frat-party Worst Buy boom boxes.

Search around for a pair of Pioneer HPM-100's. Methinks you'll like those - designed by ex-JBL engineer Bart Locanthi. He intended it to be an evolution of the L-100 and an improvement, and by most accounts he succeeded.

If you like the West Coast sound vintage is your best option IMHO. And don't let them toss those classics out!

TP
 
Also worth considering is getting another pair of L100s off of eBay. They come up for sale fairly regularly, many in very good condition. Not only would you have L100s again, you would have whatever spare parts are left from your damaged ones. They seem to sell in the $350~$450 per pair range.
 
I think he's asking (please correct me if not) about a currently sold (new) speaker that would replace the L100, and be of equivalent quality. Insurance can work this way sometimes depending on the policy. Probably something with a walnut veneer cabinet, 3-way, 12 inch woofer. Anyone even make speakers like that anymore?
 
I don't recall any good 12" 3-ways on the market...just mediocre boomboxes. Unless you're willing to go pro...the JBL 4412A is the latest incarnation of the L100/4311/4312 family. I'm sort of surprised to see it still in the line, but at the same time I'm not.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/4400.htm

Broadcast Sound Warehouse carries these...$649 for the left one and $648 for the right (sold each, as mirror image units). www.bswusa.com


TP
 
Last edited:
Well, I'm always amazed that the speakers used to monitor recordings in the studio (with +- 2 dB response specs!) can sell for about half of the typical audiophile 'grade-A' mini-monitor used to play back in the home. I'd love to have a pair of those 4412s - they're like a vertical mounted 2-way with a 12 inch woofer sitting beside it, all in one box! They have exactly the mid-tweeter layout I need for putting them on their sides on my bookshelves.
 
They're designed to be usable either in a traditional upright config or on their sides atop a mixing console. You'll bump into them in quite a few studios and broadcast facilities.

TP
 
Back
Top Bottom