• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cerwin Vega cloth surrounds?

ChopperChas

Super Member
Has anyone replaced their rotting foam surrounds with cloth surrounds, for any of the big 15" Cerwin Vega speakers? I have a pair of VS-150s that I absolutely love, but the surrounds are starting to go. (Okay, they've been "starting" to go for a year now, but don't have any holes yet). I've already purchased a foam surround kit... but todayI happened across this: http://www.simplyspeakers.com/cerwin-vega-speaker-cloth-edge-repair-kit-clsk-vega15.html

I'm wondering how a cloth surround would effect the sound coming from these bad boys. I like the idea of having a permanent fix for the surround rot problem, but not if they're going to take anything away from the speaker. Thoughts?

Charles.
 
Register to hide this ad
I haven't tried these having gone with the foam for mine, but it's not permanent, just a different kind of maintenance.
simplyspeakers.com said:
These are not pre-sealed surrounds. Be sure to purchase cloth edge sealer part #MI-1291FG
You'll still need to pull out the woofers periodically to reseal the surround. I don't know how often.
 
Seal? As in, some kind of dope or something? I don't really know what sealing cloth surrounds is about. I've never replaced or had to maintain any cloth or paper surrounds... they just last for eternity. What am I missing?

Charles.
 
Cloth surrounds are typically treated with a glue like liquid to seal them - easily applied with a brush.

Keep in mind you will raise the Fs of the woofer when going to a less compliant material like treated cloth . . .
 
Has anyone replaced their rotting foam surrounds with cloth surrounds, for any of the big 15" Cerwin Vega speakers? I have a pair of VS-150s that I absolutely love, but the surrounds are starting to go. (Okay, they've been "starting" to go for a year now, but don't have any holes yet). I've already purchased a foam surround kit... but todayI happened across this: http://www.simplyspeakers.com/cerwin-vega-speaker-cloth-edge-repair-kit-clsk-vega15.html

I'm wondering how a cloth surround would effect the sound coming from these bad boys. I like the idea of having a permanent fix for the surround rot problem, but not if they're going to take anything away from the speaker. Thoughts?

Charles.
I just finished replacing foam surrounds with cloth on a set of Cerwin Vega cast aluminum 15 inch woofers. I started to change my mind when the cloth surrounds (Simply Speakers)were sent to my house, they seamed to be very stiff unlike foam surrounds which are are soft and pliable. I did make the switch and the next day the woofers sounded like hugs mid range speakers but I didn't panic I did what any Cerwin Vega man would do I turned up the volume on the Yamaha and let the speakers breakin properly and now it's been about a week and they sound wonderful!!! The base is very smooth and deep. I have not sealed the cloth surrounds yet I don't know if I should because the 317p has a huge port in the rear of the speaker.
 
Back
Top Bottom