• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cerwin Vega D3 sub, no sound

Jeremy81

New Member
Hi, I’m new here. I’m hoping someone can help me. I purchased a pair of Cervin Vega D3’s. I thought they sounded pretty good and loud. I have them hooked up to an old 70s fisher receiver rated 100wpc. The speakers on the back are stamped 1987. So they’ve made it this far and then somehow I use them a week and one of the two subs quit working all together. absolutely no sound. I took the speaker out and put the speaker wire directly to the prongs on the speaker to see if it was in the crossover or not and still no sound at all through the speaker. Looking at the speaker I see nothing wrong. My question is, is there somebody that can repair it? is it repairable? what advice do you have for me because I would like to have the original speaker. I am really bummed about it. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
One of the two woofers quit working all together. absolutely no sound. I took the speaker out and put the speaker wire directly to the prongs on the speaker to see if it was in the crossover or not and still no sound at all through the speaker. Looking at the speaker I see nothing wrong.

Hi and welcome to AK
With your woofer wired directly try moving, wiggling the tinsel leads to see if you can get some sound.

In this case the tinsel lead got weak where it connects to the voice coil wire, a bit of solder got it connected again (orange stick pointing to the weak spot)
I've ran it pretty hard since with no problems.
01.jpg

The woofer in the above picture is a 152W, 15 inch woofer used in Cerwin Vega D9's
02.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom