• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cerwin Vega D3 vs AR2A

WPD

Member
Hey everyone!

Finally getting around to replacing the Bose 301's in my main system to something better. Have the choice between a set of Cerwin Vega D3's and Acoustic Research AR2As.

Both are similarly priced with the D3's in nicer shape cosmetically and having been refoamed completely. The AR2As have some stains on the top of the cabinets but have been recapped, had the crossovers replaced and come with stands.

They will be hooked up to my KR-6030 with my SL1200 running a Nag MP-110. I'm leaning towards the Vegas as I listen to a lot of rock and roll mainly and they're in better shape but have heard good things about both.

Any input would be helpful!
 
Register to hide this ad
Assuming you can't audition them first? More than likely you'll find the the CV's will have that 'smiley face' EQ sound, plenty of boom and sizzle. The AR's should sound a bit more smooth in the midrange (although I haven't heard AR's in years, so wait for more comments).
 
The Cerwin-Vega horn tweeter is a bit "shouty". I'm not super familiar with the AR2A but it looks like it uses some kind of soft-dome tweeter which is probably on the other-end of the spectrum. The Cerwins are built like a tank and can take a beating, complete with a circuit-breaker on the tweeter just in-case you drive your amp/receiver into clipping. The drivers on the AR2A on the other hand look pretty fragile. My brief research indicates that the version with the dual midrange drivers has some power-handling issues. The combo of the 6" Midrange and 10" woofer on the Cerwin are sure to deliver some very good mid-bass punch. That whole line of cerwins is great for louder-volume listening. For more relaxed, mellow listening sessions, who knows?
 
Well oddly enough I didn't go with either the D3's or the AR2as - walked out of there with a pair of Norman Lab 10's that sound incredible. At $275 I think I did pretty good!
 
Edit - forgot to post a pic!

kvwtfnxl925b1.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom