• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cerwin Vega hed h-15 Speakers

PAZ Alive

Member
Cerwin Vega hed h-15 Speakers need info Please

I pick up a set of Cerwin Vega hed h-15 Speakers. All drivers work. I just refoamed the woofers. One was easy but the other I had a hard time getting it centered. Now both work and centered. All 4 tweeters work as they should. Just have to pop out the dust caps and put new grille farbic on cause someone used some funky green stuff for the grilles. Also they painted them brown. I cannot find really no info on them. By the way they sound fantastic!
 

Attachments

  • SANY0870.jpg
    SANY0870.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Have specs here. X-over frequency:2000hz
response: 38~ 20 000hz, +- 4db
efficiency:103db/w
100w rms power
63# each weight
finish:durotex
retail price: $270.00 ea in 1979
The "foam" ? surrounding those Foster horns is probably
installed by prior owner, non on the pictures i have...
They were dark grey with a foam (light grey) grill.
They also had that "CV" emblem on woofs dust caps...
The grills had a " HED" crest on them ( High Energy Design).
I wanted a pair of those in my younger days :yes:.
 
You are welcomed. The Durotex finish was a nice grey color.
Paint remover should work but try on rear panel or bottom first.
If comes back nice, get those pink foams with CV dust caps :yes:...
 
I have a pair of those also but I haven't found the room to try them out yet. Mine are brown just like yours so maybe that's an original color after all.

After seeing your tweeters I now see that all of mine are pushed in but evenly.
Is there any problem leaving the tweeter dust covers pushed in like thy are ?
What is your method for pulling them out?

Where are the midrange drivers in these?Are they two way with two tweeters or is one of those tweeters a mid or?
 
Interesting. Hadn't seen those 1979 versions before.

Posted the HED line-up literature from 1980 at this thread....http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3443363&postcount=4

Had the 12" 3 ways new when I was a kid. And wish I still had them. But remember the 15" + 1xHF only sold for $150 at 'Best' stores in PA (kinda like a department store with Pioneer, CV, Marantz, Technics, etc. stuff in their electronics dept at the time). The U-123s I had only cost $99 ea....great deal.
 
Last edited:
older thread, but had to chime in and agree with turboyam. original colour was/is a dark(ish) grey. bought my first pair in 1978 in st. john's, nfld, canada. sold them, and a matching pair of h12's in 1990. just bought another pair of h-15's, and finished the refoaming last night. they sound just as awesome as i remember.
best,
aidan
 
durotex version H-series

I had a question, does anyone know if there were other series of CV speakers that had the same textured brown cabinet but with only one tweeter and woofer? All the images I'm able to find so far show two tweeters.
 
It must be my hearing but I have yet to hear any C-W speakers that didn't sound muddy to my ear. Muddy being kind of a sloppy intersection of sound with little separation of the elements of the presentation. I have heard plenty as many of my head banging friends looked at those huge woofers and knew that was for them, of course this was a lifetime ago. Presently my across the street neighbor has a garage stereo with what I believe have to be 15" or even 17" woofers and again they sound less than stellar to me. Move lots of air, yes. Sound worth a damn? Not imo. Are there certain models that are sonically better and I haven't heard ?
 
durotex version H-series

I had a question, does anyone know if there were other series of CV speakers that had the same textured brown cabinet but with only one tweeter and woofer? All the images I'm able to find so far show two tweeters.
hey ggonzo. along with the first set of h-15's i had, i also had a set of h-12's. as i recall (25 years ago) looked like a miniature version of the h-15's but with only one tweeter and of course a 12" instead of a 15" woofer.
as far as "muddy" goes, i don't hear that at all. deep rich bass, crisp bright highs, with an overlap that covers the mids just fine. mind you, last time i opened the rear of a set of h-15's i did notice that the crossover wiring looked quite light. i'd check the continuity of the X-overs, then on to cleaning the housing/points of the breaker (h-15's) or the fuse housing (at-15's) should you experience a similar concern.
 
I just joined this site after a random web search for CV HED H-15. It's been almost a year since the last post so I'm not sure if anyone visits here anymore. People that know this speaker series most likely either owned a set at one time or stumbled across them at a garage sale.

I bought a set brand new back in 1979 when I was in high school. I was so proud. The were advertised as "Earth Shakers" and they weren't lying. They were the biggest and loudest mothers I had ever seen. I could hardly believe they were mine. They took up half my bedroom. My fellow audiophile high school buddies and I would crank up Rush, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ELP, The Who, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc. on a Friday or Saturday night and our ears would ring until Monday!

I have a lot of great memories with my CV's. They were at my side the first time I got laid (true)! I nearly got thrown off campus (several times) for middle of the night heavy metal jam sessions I would occasionally treat my dorm mates to as they slept. They christened my first house, were there when I got married and when we had our first kid. I finally decommissioned them in 1999 when I stepped up to a 5:1 home theater set up and I haven't played them since. I have moved 5 times since and like a family heirloom I pack them up and along they come for the ride. They need to be refoamed but are in remarkable condition otherwise. The cabinets and grills look really good and the speaker cones are flawless. I'm going to order a reforming kit and restore the woofers.

I wonder when I finally juice them up if the familiar and distinctive sound will conjure up more great memories. I'm not sure if the sound quality was ever all that great but back in the day they packed quite a punch and were very clear at high volume. Even today 103 db at 1 watt is hard to comprehend. I still have the same Pioneer receiver I used to power them and it still works great. I'll post again once the foam restoration is complete.
 
Have specs here. X-over frequency:2000hz
response: 38~ 20 000hz, +- 4db
efficiency:103db/w
100w rms power
63# each weight
finish:durotex
retail price: $270.00 ea in 1979
The "foam" ? surrounding those Foster horns is probably
installed by prior owner, non on the pictures i have...
They were dark grey with a foam (light grey) grill.
They also had that "CV" emblem on woofs dust caps...
The grills had a " HED" crest on them ( High Energy Design).
I wanted a pair of those in my younger days :yes:.
The foam around tweeter was factory
 
Yeah, they obviously had 2 versions, the one pictured here in brown and foam around the tweeters, and the version i saw
in grey without foam. The grey ones were very nice!.
 
Hey guys, I have a pair of CV HED with a 15" a 5" mid & a tweeter plus another 5" on the back with two 4" port holes. Anybody know what these are? u351 H15 or what? Thanks
 
My parents bought me a pair of HED 10s for high school graduation. I loved them - but - was always blowing out the tweeters. Wished I'd had McIntosh Power and Sentry Guard back in those days. :)
 
ik heb van men wijlen broer een stel HED 15 luidsprekers gekregen maar de woofers werden destijds vervangen door andere 15 inch woofers van een ander merk alsook de crossover is niet origineel meer. Nu ben ik op zoek naar de juiste type 15 inch woofers en crossovers alleen weet ik niet of deze nog te vinden zijn en waar men deze verkoopt. Ik ben van Antwerpen in Belgium. Wie kan me raad geven ?
 
Old post i know, but i do need some help with my HED 15's. One of the crossover coils is toasted. I cannot find a schematic for this. Does anyone know what the value of the coil in these crossovers are?
 
Back
Top Bottom