• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cerwin-Vega XLS215?

Restless

Active Member
Hey everyone,

I read a lot of good reviews on the XLS215, now the price being 1400 a pair, how would these compare to some of the "higher-end" systems? Like Klipsch RF7, Mythos STS, Triton Two's etc. I'm aware that the price difference is about 1500 but I was wondering. In most reviews I don't see any "emotion" one these speakers.. Anyone that can tell me who has/had them and can compare.

I'm currently in possession of a pair of Tannoy 609's, will these XLS215's be an upgrade?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have no personal experience with them, but I like Cerwin Vega.

The predecessor to the XLS215, the CLS 215 is supposed to sound very good.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/cerwinvega_cls215.htm

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tested-cerwin-vega-cls-215-loudspeaker/

If I had the money and the space, I would definitely buy a pair of XLS215s.

I was looking at them as well. But I also wonder how they stack up against STS and the Triton Two/Three's.. The adjustable bass seems nice, but I think dual 15" will pack a lot of punch. But I think too much a lot of the time.
 
I've been into high end audio for 30+ years and have owned a lot of different equipment and dozens of different speakers. I've never been very happy with any "mid-fy" speakers and really hated the sound of the old CV's (boomy, sloppy, bass and brutally harsh mids and highs) An old friend who has always liked hard rock and heavy metal played at obscene volumes has always loved CV's. He saw a pair of new, slightly shipping damaged, XLS-215's on Ebay for a song. They were local pick up only and 1400 miles from him but not too far from me.Before he bought them he asked if I'd pick them up and store them for about 4-5 months until he could come and get them. I said yes, so he bought them.In the mean time my car died and I needed some cash for another one so I put my Kuzma Stabi turntable, Aerial 10t speakers, and my Rowland mod 7 amps up for sale. The Aerials sold right away and thinking they'd be slightly better than nothing, I hooked up the XLS-215's. I was really surprised, they sounded far better than I expected right out of the box. I don't have any nearby neighbors so I ran them at high volumes with a break-in disc and a diverse mix of material when ever I left home to break them in quickly. After about 100 hours I played around with their set up to find their best placement in my room. My room is 12'x16' x 9' with everything set up on the long wall. They ended up about 2' away from the back and 4' from the side walls,on large cones,backs raised 1.25" higher than the fronts,two 50lb bags of lead shot on top of each,a bunch of room tunes,and aimed directly at my listening chair, centered and 18" from the opposite wall.With my gear driving them,( Accuphase DD57 CD player, an older Kuzma Stabi/Stogi/Benz glider combo turntable, Rowland Consonance preamp,Rowland Mod 7 mono-block amps and custom cables) I was floored! For their low retail price they sound damned good ! They have a fairly balanced sound, decent sound stage, don't sound boxy are truly full range, really dynamic,don't sound strained at ear bleed volumes. Sure, there are plenty of speakers that have smoother mids/highs, have better staging, are more realistic/refined sounding with intimate classical music,etc and are far nicer looking. But you'd be hard pressed to find any full-range speakers for under $6k that do as good a job with Rock,Jazz, Dynamic orchestra, or movie soundtracks at anything approaching realistic volume levels! I tried them with far cheaper gear and they still sounded good.I even tried them with my garage gear, a used Sony 5 disc CD player($5 yard sale) an old Yamaha stereo receiver with pre-outs($10 yard sale) into a beat up Crown DC300 ($75 Craigslist) with junk wires and they still sounded A OK! Even tho they're quite efficient, don't expect them to perform anywhere near their potential,even at low volumes, with an average receiver,they demand the current a decent amp provides. Best of all, no matter what I drove them with, they put the fun back into listening to my old favorites again! I recently picked up a pair nice used CLSC-215's to replace the XLS's when they leave, They sound almost as good and will get me by until I find another pair of cheap XLS's of my own! To answer your question, I've auditioned the speakers you mentioned, They all sounded OK, but for different reasons, they all had things that kept me from liking them enough to buy a pair, not even taking price into consideration,I liked the XLS's more! I think you would be quite happy with them,but if possible try to audition all 4 of them along with as many really expensive speakers as you can (just like test driving a few dream cars to see how close the real-world priced stuff is) and always bring some of your favorite music to listen to, along with the cuts they use to show off their stuff. --- When ever possible, take things home for a 2-3 day test drive.Take your time! --- Have fun! Then pick what sounds best to you and is in your budget. If it makes you enjoy listening to your favorite music, to hell with what anyone else says or thinks! It's not their ear,living room or hard earned $$$!
Happy Hunting!!!
 
I have a set of Cerwin Vega D9's that I'll never sell and have bought spare tweeters, mids, and crossovers to have as backups. A while back I started hearing a little scratchy sound, not bad, but there, from my left cabinet and finally traced it down to the 15, which I had no spare for. I intend to send it for a rebuild but not without a replacement, so I hit ebay looking. The original was not available at that time in useable condition, but there was a pull from a new XLS215 damaged cabinet for a descent price so I bought it. The frame is a little bigger so it doesn't seat quite all the way in the cabinet correctly, but I pulled it down best I could and hit it with some music. There is a slight gap around the outside because it's not seated completely. Now I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I know that I immediately noticed a pretty big difference in low end,,,,,,, and in a very good way. Backing off and listening to both sides there was a very noticeable difference compaired to the original woofer in the right side,,,,,,, so much that I have since bought another XLS215 Woofer for my right cabinet and the D9's are sounding even better than they ever did since I bought them. And now I have a pair of original replacements for the woofers as well. I listen to blues, blues rock, bluesy jazz/fusion, and push the D9's with a Kenwood KR 9600, all Flac files burned to CD and usually in 80-90 decibal range and while it sounded great before I am constantly aware of how full the low end is with the XLS "UPGRADE".

I can't speak for the XLS system, but I can tell you the 15's are special.
 
Back
Top Bottom