• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CFNY: The Spirit Of Radio

GlamrLama

Active Member
Almost everyone I know that loves audio equipment came to it because of their love of music. For many around AK, where the members lean older that frequently meant listening to the radio.

For those in southern Ontario / Toronto area and Western NY / Buffalo area one of the great radio stations that came to prominence in the 70s and 80s with punk and new wave was CFNY. Here is that tale and why they sounded different.

Here is a very well done documentary released earlier this year. Lots of clips and interviews with DJs, musicians, and station personalities. Back when you could turn on the radio and hear something truly new presented by people you knew and trusted and that were passionate about music. That's hard to find these days.

In CFNY fashion there is also a longer extended version/mix but it is typically paywalled. So many fantastic memories and wonderful to see many of them still passionate about music and their time at the station.

 
Register to hide this ad
I grew up (well if that was possible) on CFNY. It was just a very cool station, playing mostly mainstream alternative, and in the early days it was literally that little office in Brampton - crazy. Then It all changed … But the memories remain strong.
 
Thanks for posting, great bit of history for us that were part of the CFNY community in the GTA and surrounding areas.
These days I am fortunate to have CFGI, a LPFM radio station coming from Georgina Island, commercial free tunes, just like listening to my record collection plus a whole lot more music that I do not have. They play what they want, when they want. They way it's supposed to be without repeatedly playing the same music over and over again until you get sick of hearing it.
Long live FM radio.
 
Back in the day Q107 and CHUM 104.5 did the usual popular song rotations. CFNY was for listening and discovery.
 
I live in the Buffalo NY area and when I first heard CFNY I was hooked.
It doesn't come in as well as I'd like sometimes , So I use to stream it till Canada sometime in the early 2000's turned off its ability to stream Canadian content to other countries due to advertising laws or something. Sucked.

But I hear if you use a VPN and choose somewhere in canada as you ip address you can stream it.

I loved listening to The History of New Music with Allen Cross on sunday mornings and they the replay at 7PM at night which he still does.

Discovered so many great Canadian punk and Alt bands like the Diodes, Killjoys, Lowest of the Low, The Rheostatics , Treble Charger , and many many more !!

I was listening to them when the DJ said there is this group of guys here in a band they called The Bare Naked Ladies and they want to to play live on the radio....should I let them? Well the DJ did and
it was great !!! They became HUGE in Canada and Western New York quickly.

Great station back then, it's still good but the newer music isn't as different sounding to me as it was back then if you know what I mean.

Athanasios
 
I loved listening to The History of New Music with Allen Cross on sunday mornings and they the replay at 7PM at night which he still does.
The Ongoing History of New Music with Allen Cross can be heard online at 91.3thesummit.fm multiple times a week. 91.3 WAPS the summit is a local non-commercial public radio station owned by Akron Public Schools & broadcasts from Akron Ohio & is the only U.S.-based station carrying it. Also goes out over shortwave broadcasts for worldwide (when conditions are favorable) reception. There are other similarly interesting programs on, mainly in the evening. Different lineup for every day of the week. I encourage all to give it a listen.
And yes, I'm a sustaining member & donor so I'm a bit biased so thought I'd share this info.
 
RIP David Marsden from a listener of CKGM/CHOM in Montreal before your move to Toronto. You were the best and not forgotten. You shared your passion for music with us and I will always be thankful for this.
 
Back
Top Bottom