• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Changing cartridge alignment - it's like a door just opened up...

mprince

Super Member
Since I've had my Technics SL-1200, I've aligned my cartridge like a lot of other people do - with the Technics alignment tool (which I think I used once) or a dial caliper to get the recommended distance from bayonet plug/gasket to the stylus. Then squaring up the cartridge by eye. Always have had good results with this and understand that this is a Stevenson alignment spec.

Yesterday I was going through my cartridges and realized that there was a 2-point alignment protractor in my M97xE box that I had not seen before. I tried to print out the Baerwald protractor from VE as well, but could not get it to scale properly on my printer, so I decided to give the Shure (also Baerwald/Lofgren A) protractor a try.

All I can say is WOW. Much better sound, especially on the inner grooves. The alignment is easy to dial in with my non-Technics headshells, as they allow the cartridge to get forward enough in the shell to hit the marks on the protractor. With the Technics shell, it's cartridge dependent. The M97xE was not a problem, but an older A-T cart I have (PRO13E) is all the way forward in the headshell slots to get there.

Bottom line, I am now a believer in the protractor (and this alignment). I won't set up another cartridge without it!
 
Register to hide this ad
Long as you don't mind the draft from that open door ... <G>

And yes, proper alignment is the key to success. Took me a while to find a protractor that would work with my Mitsu table as it has some unusual geometry, but well worth the effort.

Good point also. Oft overlooked is the small print concerning checking the scale of any downloaded protractors. Fortunately my HP laser was able to give me a good one. :thumbsup:
 
"Much better sound, especially on the inner grooves." Interesting observation since my understanding is that the Technics tool/Stevenson alignment specifically minimizes error at the inner grooves. Could be that the records you played didn't correspond with Stevenson's notion of where inner grooves lie.

"Then squaring up the cartridge by eye." Regardless of chosen alignment, a small angular error in mounting might be worse than a small error in stylus overhang distance. Particularly with an elliptical or line contact tip. Accurately setting this angle can be difficult with many cartridge shapes.

Glad that you've found a happy solution.
 
That's just the opposite of my experience. I started using Baerwald on my Technics tts in 1978 after reading an Audio Critic article. A couple years ago, I tried the Technics alignment and decided I preferred it. I do confirm the overhang and nulls with an arc protractor, as the overhang gauge just gets you in the ballpark.

I know Baerwald results in lower avg tracking error and distortion, but decided to give the stock alignment a try based on Kevin Barrett's (KABUSA) assertion.
 
Well, so far sounds better to my ears. Perhaps tomorrow I will revert one of the carts to Stevenson and see if I hear any differences.
 
I have been saying for a while now that a great retirement business for someone would be to advertise "in home" TT set up. $30 an hour or so w/1 hour min. Some folks can get this done so much easier then others. I struggle and struggle.....
 
Back
Top Bottom