• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Channel Fade - Kenwood KW-44

FreeOrange

Well-Known Member
Hey all;
I'm not sure if this is a common tube problem, and I'm hoping for some advice.

I have a fully recapped Kenwood KW-44, that uses a quad of 6BM8/ECL82 output tubes.

The unit runs fine, but the output on one channel fades and is inconsistent after it has been operating for a while.

Is this a sign of a tube failing, or should I open it back up and look for other components going south?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks. :dunno:
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello,

When you say recapped, you mean all caps including electrolytics and cans also?

Did you check the resistors too? The tubes are known to be good (you could swap them from left to right)?

Patrice
 
I pulled out the output tubes and reinstalled them, probably in a mixed up order. It seems more stable now. The headphone jack only has one channel and a hum, even though the speaker outputs are clean with good channel separation. I think my next step is to open it up and do a little cleaning (again) on the selector switches.
 
Does it have a Hum Balance pot on the back? If yes, adjusting it may solve your HP hum problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom