• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Charity shop record prices?

Charlton H

Active Member
At least here in the UK I noticed Oxfam started charging quite a bit more than 50p for their records.
I was looking through a record bin in another charity shop the other day to see records like Level 42 for 6 quid! A sergeant peppers album, 20 quid, it was really badly scratched to the point it looked unplayable. Both records were filthy.
Whats going on with UK charity shops?
 
Register to hide this ad
Charity shop, money goes to Charity, right?

Why are you complaining?

So you are happy to pay 3 or 4 times EBay prices for an unplayable record safe in the knowledge that you are giving to charity?
Tell you what, you paypal me 20- quid, I will pop down to that shop and buy you the unplayable record, I will even cover the postage to get it to you. :yes:
 
The only worthwhile records to be found at a thrift store in acceptable shape around here are classical. I usually thumb through for a few minutes then head for the CDs, which are nearly as cheap these days.

I've seen enough copies of Sing Along With Mitch, and the My Fair Lady soundtrack for one lifetime.
 
So you are happy to pay 3 or 4 times EBay prices for an unplayable record safe in the knowledge that you are giving to charity?
Tell you what, you paypal me 20- quid, I will pop down to that shop and buy you the unplayable record, I will even cover the postage to get it to you. :yes:

Somewhat concerned about not getting the deal that was back a couple years ago when records were not desirable and now you need to complain about condition and price. For crying out loud, look at the record before you buy it and avoid the ones you don't think will play right and be enjoyable. This is worth a bit compared to getting someone to ship you a record they have graded.

Now that you have found a nice copy of a fairly priced, 5-8 quid record, give it a clean and then spin it. While you enjoy it, read the AK rules. No complaining about pricing at shops whose business is to sell second hand goods for the betterment of a charity. Why can't a shop generating income for a charity charge the same as the used record store down the road? Have you noticed discussions of goodwillauctions and the pricing being above normal used retail? Nothing wrong with that.
 
Why the nerve of the homeless and disabled making that Lionel Richie Can't Slow Down LP too pricey!:D
 
Somewhat concerned about not getting the deal that was back a couple years ago when records were not desirable and now you need to complain about condition and price. For crying out loud, look at the record before you buy it and avoid the ones you don't think will play right and be enjoyable. This is worth a bit compared to getting someone to ship you a record they have graded.

Now that you have found a nice copy of a fairly priced, 5-8 quid record, give it a clean and then spin it. While you enjoy it, read the AK rules. No complaining about pricing at shops whose business is to sell second hand goods for the betterment of a charity. Why can't a shop generating income for a charity charge the same as the used record store down the road? Have you noticed discussions of goodwillauctions and the pricing being above normal used retail? Nothing wrong with that.

I had no idea there was such a rule, Im sure the moderators will pull the thread if I have broken that rule.

For the record (see what I did there?) I have no problem paying a fair price for anything, What I don't like to see is charity's pushing customers away by overpricing their stock , if their records were properly graded and priced accordingly they might actually sell more. What will happen is most people will turn away and as most people like myself who do regularly give to charity understand (as I'm sure you do? which charity would that be out of interest?) you don't need to get anything in return when you set up that direct debit for your chosen charity.
 
In my experience,the prices at thrifts go down in time when the stock doesnt move.If it is a quality record in good shape,maybe its time to decide if you want the selection of a record shop,or the chance to give back to a charity shop.For me,Ive gotten dozens of killer deals on records over the years at GW.Now Ill take my business to record shops,where I can get better selection for the same prices.
Jimmy
 
I was lucky the other day at our local charity shop and picked up Queen's a day at the races in good nick £2.00 and a couple of cd's for £1.50 each. Its allways worth having a look :-)
 
I have a local church charity shop that I often give more than their listed price on things I buy. Why? Because they are too cheap, they are all volunteers and they use their money for homeless people and buy things for the local schools along with looking after less fortunate people in the area.

I do have a problem with all the major 'charity' stores with their bloated management structures, excessive salaries, huge rented premises and grossly overinflated prices based on head-office instructions.

There's been plenty of discussions in the last decade on AK about the prices going up and the good stuff disappearing. Too many people with fingers in the pie. It will all rebalance down the track once again when the high rent locations these op-shops are occupying and the sales they are generating, don't tally up.

I for one, will continue to support charity stores where every cent goes to the people who need it.
 
Back
Top Bottom