• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cheap Headphones Opinion; Bose vs. Grado . . .

i listined to grado sr80's and the bose triports. while the bose sounded slow and muddy the grados sounded crisp and clean. i have never heard rock drums reproduced better in a pair of less expensive headphones.
 
Better late than never. . .

Although Grado Labs makes a good product, if you're looking for excellent noise isolation (about -29dB), a much better choice would be the Extreme Isolation model EX-29.

Now, bear in mind these phones are generally used in recording studio applications; but they have a very good frequency response curve. At $99 (if you shop the right place), they are within your budget.

If you're looking for great sound and not as much ambient noise isolation, the Sony MDR-7506 Professional series cans have a very good, flat response. It's the standard in many recording studios around the world. Generally priced around $99, they're also within your budget.

My favorites are the Sony MDR-7509's. They allow me to gain a new perspective from my Dynaudio Acoustics BM-15A's when mastering, and the low end is slightly more easily driven. These phones ensure that I'll easily be able to identify too much low end in the mix, and to gain an accurate perspective when people listen to albums via phones. They have an excellent frequency response curve, but are twice the price of the 7506's.

They also travel with me whenever I perform on-location recordings of orchestras/symphonys/swing bands/jazz ensembles.

. . Falcon
 
I tend to think that noise cancelling is the devil. Keep a clean signal path, I always say (or at least I do now ;] ). I'd definitely go with the Grados, no question, if it's just between the two of those options.
 
Muddying the Waters Further...

I've been pleased with my Grado 80's. I was bringing them to work but got concerned about wear and tear. They also leak enough to annoy your cube mate.

That sent me shopping for small, inexpensive cans. I ended up with AKG K26Ps, which I love. You'll have to break them in and fiddle with the EQ a little, but after that they sound great. They are a sealed design and don't leak. To top it off, they fold up to a small package that makes travelling easy. They're about $35 bucks and are great for portable music.

FWIW, I started with a pair of Air Force surplus cans that I rewired for stereo back in 1957. I then went to Koss and stepped up to David Clark's. Talk about uncomfortable! While I was at the Byron Pop Festival as part of the film crew, I ran into a French TV crew. The sound man was wearing cheap looking plastic cans that sounded great. I did some searching and bought my first set of Sennheiser 414's. They were replaced by another set of 414's before I got the Grado's.

Doug
 
You might want to look at Koss, too. I think the Pro 4AA is the popular model (but because of their infernal nomenclature, I am not sure -- the also have Pro 4A and Pro 4AAA). See if you can find a store that sells them and try them.

And stay away from Bose! Overpriced.
 
Sr-80s it is

Hey guys thanks for the replies

I went with the Grado's, they are on their way to me. Anyways, alot of people keep saying how the lower-end Grados are easy to drive, and are well-suited for portable applications, however, I will never be using them with a portable player. They are 32-ohm 'phones, but my question is will my vintage amplifiers be a good match for them? Weren't most headphones like 100-ohm back then ( early to mid 70's)? I apologize if I sound like a newbie but I just recently started listening with headphones seriously. These are my choices for amplifiction -- my Akai AM-2800 stereo integrated - 1977, 80 wpc, discrete outputs; Pioneer SX-650 receiver- 35wpc, 1976, output modules; Sanyo DCA611 integrated amplifier - 60wpc, 1978, darlington power pack outputs; Lafayette Lr-1500t receiver - 30wpc? , 1970, discrete outputs, and last but probably not least- My laptop, which is a MacBook Pro 1.83ghz brand new, who knows what kind of sound card it has, i cant find any info on it.
Sorry for my ranting lol but I want to make for a great listening experience. Thanks!
 
For $150 you should be able to buy quite a good set of headphones. This spring I picked up a set of Sennheiser 580's for $140, I think from macmall, and have been very happy with my decision to get them. The 580's are very well respected in the audio world, having been stereophile magazine's reference set for something like 10yrs running until the introduction of the 600's (same headphones, but metal instead of plastic).
 
zenith2134 said:
Hey guys thanks for the replies

I went with the Grado's, they are on their way to me. Anyways, alot of people keep saying how the lower-end Grados are easy to drive, and are well-suited for portable applications, however, I will never be using them with a portable player. They are 32-ohm 'phones, but my question is will my vintage amplifiers be a good match for them? Weren't most headphones like 100-ohm back then ( early to mid 70's)? I apologize if I sound like a newbie but I just recently started listening with headphones seriously. These are my choices for amplifiction -- my Akai AM-2800 stereo integrated - 1977, 80 wpc, discrete outputs; Pioneer SX-650 receiver- 35wpc, 1976, output modules; Sanyo DCA611 integrated amplifier - 60wpc, 1978, darlington power pack outputs; Lafayette Lr-1500t receiver - 30wpc? , 1970, discrete outputs, and last but probably not least- My laptop, which is a MacBook Pro 1.83ghz brand new, who knows what kind of sound card it has, i cant find any info on it.
I've driven my SR-80's with a number of pre-amps, a cassette tape deck, my laptop, a Walkman tape player, as well as a tiny MP3 player. Any of the sources you list should drive the Grado's with no problems if they have plug for your 'phones. The amplifier power rating has nothing to do with its ability to drive headphones anyway; it's a a separate circuit altogether from the amp section.

Congrats and enjoy the Grado's!!
 
zenith2134 said:
...my question is will my vintage amplifiers be a good match for them? Weren't most headphones like 100-ohm back then...
Actually, that's a very good question, and you're right, most of them were pretty high (some as high as 600 ohm). You have two choices: one, you can make or get something like the AudioValve Impedanzer, which is designed to provide a higher load to the amp, and driver lower impedance headphones like the Grados. These are tuned to the RKV, but should work on any amp. You can also make one of your own -- it's basically just two transformers.

The other thing you can do is get a separate amp. They're not that expensive (or rather, they don't have to be).

Or different headphones, but (a) you seem to have already settled on the Grados, and (b) that would be a third thing, and I only said two.
 
Thanks for the kind replies

Hey all. Actually I was thinking about purchasing a seperate headphone amp, I've always liked that idea. About the headphones, I'll probably get some Sennheisers as my next pair, it'll be nice to have a few different pairs. Anywho, thanks to all for your help and have yourselves a great day!
 
Hey there Zenith!
Haven't read all the answers so it might have allready been mentioned, but headphones are one of the things that will help hearingloss along...
We all gotta watch out for that one, so I would look into something called "ultrasone" hedaphones. They are supposed to sound about 30 (I think) % louder than conventionel ones at the same soundpressure, so to protect your ears that might be the way to go. Can't really comment on the sound (sorry) as I have elected to entirely drop headphone listening (allready a bit of tinitus..)
Here's a link for You: http://reviews.cnet.com/Ultrasone_HFI_650/4514-6468_7-30790697.html

hope You find what You're looking for :-)
 
melofelo said:
another vote for the grados or sennheisers...funny enough i find the grados pretty comfortable even after several hours...


ditto on that, 4 hours and no discomfort. I guess they are aimed more toward the small eared person. :)

they are the most comfortable headphone I have owned.
 
Well, in my case, the discomfort is psychological -- I don't like my ears pressed against my head to the point of touching. I don't disrecommend Grado's unless comfort is a primary concern...even then, I still recommend trying them for one's self, to determine if it's a real issue with you.
 
Update-- I've been using the Sr80's with my Akai AM2800 amplifier and the sound has really improved since they finished breaking-in. I left them playing in a drawer on half volume for a few nights and have noticed the improvement.

The thing that impresses me is that they sound better flat, with the tone defeat switch on, more natural response. Thats not the case with speakers on this amp- I usually engage loudness (low and high) for volumes up til 10 o'clock, and boost the bass for most music with the loudness disengaged. Anyway, with the Grado's I rarely watch the meters go past 1-2 Watts.

I don't find them uncomfortable at all ( due to my very small ears I suppose) and have listened to whole albums with no discomfort.

In closing, the sweetest sounds are created using my Apple Macbook Pro's line-out fed to the Akai's tape monitor jacks, with the computer's output set to half, and no tone controls utilized anywhere in the signal path. Overall, i am very satisfied and would purchase higher-end Grado cans in the future.

I would like to ask one question, however. Is it correct to assume that this amplifier (circa '77) drives its PHONES jack directly from the output transistors via a resistor path? I seem to recall that only newer gear employs a seperate Opamp-driven headphone amplifier circuit. I thought someone here would know the answer, and since I don't feel like breaking into the rack and dismantling the unit to find out, I had to ask. Thanks for reading my lengthy post, have a nice day
 
Grado Labs SR 80's If they feel a little uncomfortable do what I did use a seat belt pad,cut it down to size wrap it around the head band and close the velcrow.problem solved ! it will not dig the wire into the top of your head as after a couple of hours it dose get anoying.If you can save a little longer get the 125's it's worth the little extra cash.
 
I got given a pair of audio-technica ATH-910PRO 'phones last year for my birthday. They cost slightly less than the HD555's and (IMO) sound better than the HD595's. Fully enclosed and very comfortable and I can still hear my boss (vaguely) if he yells at me. I use them direct from an old TEAC CD-P1100 player that I picked up on the 'bay for $20. They're on pretty much eight hours a day at work to keep the DF's away.
 
I seem to recall that only newer gear employs a seperate Opamp-driven headphone amplifier circuit. I thought someone here would know the answer, and since I don't feel like breaking into the rack and dismantling the unit to find out, I had to ask. Thanks for reading my lengthy post, have a nice day[/QUOTE]

Believe that you are on the money here, opamps were patented in 83.

On a sidenote, I have SR-80's and tried them on a headphone amp - no improvement at all for me, on my Senn's yes but the Grado's no. YMMV depending on which amp I guess.

- Dave
 
Bose suck end of story. the SQ will be about on par w/ your v150's. Grado SR 80's are excellent for the money. That was my first pair of Grados. I currently own SR 225's and just got a pair of SR 60's that just today got a brand new cable (shorter for portable use... but better ;)) and new screens, they are real metal instead of the plastic crap Grado uses on the 60's and they allow for more air movement. Overall quite an improvement. Still not as good as my 225's, but more in line with how the 125's sound.

in your price range other cans to consider, Sennheiser HD555

oh and different pads will change the comfort and sound of Grados more than most cans. my favorite are modded HD414 pads, but they come stock as bright yellow. So I dye them and then socket mod them for crystal sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom