• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cheap speakers. Bose or Optimus

csm672

New Member
Need decent speakers for cheap. Bought my wife a Hitachi vintage belt drive turntable for Christmas and now need some speakers to get her going. For the time being going to run through a JVC 5.1 receiver (all I have with a phono pre amp!) So under $80 I can get Bose series II 201, all original, or I can get Optimus 600 speakers with new surrounds. Just looking for the best speakers for the (little) money I have to spend. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I do have a set of 201's but have not heard that Optimus model.
The 201's are awful, IMO> for sure I'd be looking at the Optimus based on that fact alone.
 
Thanks Dingman. I haven't heard either of them. I can listen to the Bose before i buy them, but they are under a bench in a crowded garage on a guys stereo, setting i think backwards left to right and about 2 feet apart. Don't think I'll be able to make a great judgement in those conditions. Both pairs look nice and well cared for. I also can run a subwoofer off this receiver to help with the low end, if that would make any difference on how either of these sound. I just have no experience with either of these brands and unfortunately money is extremely tight right now.
 
IF presented with no other choices and in the need immediately? I'd buy the rat shacks ......for $50 TOPS since the surrounds have already been replaced, that would be my offer. Previous owners time/money factored in. Imho of course as always.
Are those the ported mini towers with a 6.5 and soft dome?
Just brace and line the walls and change out whatever cap/caps since the foams have already been replaced.
Best of luck
 
A pair of 201 II passed through here awhile back, I bought them real cheap out of curiosity. I only could stand listening to them for about ten minutes.
 
Back
Top Bottom