• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Chi-Fi chip amp comparison -- Aiyima A07 (TPA3255) vs Nobsound Dual TPA3116

cdfac

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm going to be active bi-amping a pair of DIY speakers soon if I ever get around to finishing them, using a miniDSP SHD Streamer for DAC/crossover/EQ duties. Having been so pleased with the Nobsound Dual TPA3116 amp (50Wx2) for several years, I decided to add a second, slightly more powerful chip amp to my repertoire for the woofers. I waffled around a while before deciding to go with the Aiyima A07 amp based on the TPA3255 chip. It just arrived tonight, and I got it wired into the system to compare to the Nobsound on my Forte II's. I'm a couple albums in now....

First impressions is that it's a very good amp from a musical, emotional standpoint. Probably the equal of the Nobsound out of the box, if not even a bit more romantic and involving. Input sensitivity is quite a bit lower on the Aiyima, and it's not as punchy, neither of which I wasn't expecting. I'm using a 24V/5A Acopian linear regulated supply on the Nobsound, and the stock 32V/5A switching supply on the Aiyima, so there's a chance that's part of it. I do have an Acopian 48V/8.5A linear regulated supply on the way already for fun :D, so I can see what difference that makes. It's entirely possible that a little burn-in helps as well. And even if nothing changes, I think the miniDSP will mostly mitigate the bass difference once I re-run the EQ program. One might be tempted to run the Nobsound on the 2235H's, but I'm going to bet the extra power from the Aiyima will come in handy.

If I was just single-amping and the speakers were relatively efficient, I'd probably lean toward the Nobsound. It's just a damn fine amp even at 10x its cost. I'm not sure if it's still available on Amazon (if it is, the packaging has changed a bit). The Aiyima is pretty darn impressive in its own right, though, and I don't think you can go wrong with it.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad

Thanks, I will likely give that one a shot too, especially for such a low cost. I do have a similar power supply for my Nobsound when I use it in my porch system, and it does well. I preferred the linear supply by a small amount, but the catch is that those are usually more physically noisy.
 
I have a project in the garage that begs completion. It's a nice wooden cigar box with a Meanwell inside. It will have an on/off switch and connections that allow easy use with chip amps. Most of these small amps could sit on top and avoid a big ugly power supply hanging off the back.

FWIW I'd wouldn't mind a shoot out between TPA amps and the newer Infineon chip amps.
 
Poultrygeist, I have an Infineon MA12070 amp that I am using now. I have probably had 10 or so TPA amps. I am using the Infineon amp right now from optical cable from pc/tv to the amp. The stereo is reall quiet on turn on/turn off.
All you hear is music/movie on it with really great sound. I have a cable going from the line out of the amp to a subwoofer amp and subwoofer. Everything is just fine. I like it better than the TPA 3118/3116 amps I've used.
new amp.jpg
 
Poultrygeist, I have an Infineon MA12070 amp that I am using now. I have probably had 10 or so TPA amps. I am using the Infineon amp right now from optical cable from pc/tv to the amp. The stereo is reall quiet on turn on/turn off.
All you hear is music/movie on it with really great sound. I have a cable going from the line out of the amp to a subwoofer amp and subwoofer. Everything is just fine. I like it better than the TPA 3118/3116 amps I've used.
View attachment 2587580

how about compared to the tpa 3255?
 
Poultrygeist, I have an Infineon MA12070 amp that I am using now. I have probably had 10 or so TPA amps. I am using the Infineon amp right now from optical cable from pc/tv to the amp. The stereo is reall quiet on turn on/turn off.
All you hear is music/movie on it with really great sound. I have a cable going from the line out of the amp to a subwoofer amp and subwoofer. Everything is just fine. I like it better than the TPA 3118/3116 amps I've used.
View attachment 2587580

I have an SMSL DA-9 with the Infineon chip and love it. It's less powerful than my Aiyima 3255 but still powerful enough to drive most speakers. Fidelity wise the two are close but the EQ setting on the DA-9 make it better for dialing in my open baffles.
 
how about compared to the tpa 3255?
I haven't owned a TPA3255, so I can't compare them. I like what I have read from owners saying it is a quiet, powerful amp. The Infineon MA12070 amp is quiet with enough power for my listening room. I am satisfied with it.
My amp has a "line out" that I think every one find is mighty handy to add another amp to power their subwoofer(s) without requiring a splitter in the chain.
 
I have not owned the TPA3255, so I can't comment on their similarities, or differences. I like what owners have to say about the 3255 including being quiet in operation, and having great power.
However, my Infineon is super quiet too, and has plenty of power for my listening room. One thing I really like is the "line out" that I use to add my subwoofer and additional amp to. The different inputs
are handy also.
 
I give up. I couldn't see my message that I wrote after I tried to post it. Whoever knows how to edit can do that with the three things I have above.
 
Back
Top Bottom