• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Chinese Tubes Suck...or do they?

MWalt

Super Member
I never thought too highly of Chinese tubes until I replaced a pair of Mullard 12AT7's in my tube preamp with a set of Shuguang Psvanes. I have since been very impressed with them. Then, I decided to try the Shuguang Treasure 6CA7's. These tubes sound VERY GOOD! So good that I am not sure if I ever want to roll anything else in there again. They replaced a quad of the Russian 6p3s-e that I liked. Both the Psvanes and the Treasures look nice also. Here are a few pics:

DSCN3840.jpg

DSCN3837.jpg

DSCN3838.jpg

DSCN3841.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Over the last 20 years the tubes coming our of China have improved tremendously. Back in circa 1993 I could not stand the sound of them, now I use them as needed.

Glad you are enjoying yours.
 
Shuguang's Treasure series of tubes are regarded by those in the know (those who have actually listened to them) to be amongst the best in the world.

Years ago, Chinese electronics were not regarded as worthy of comparison with the best that Europe and the US and Japan had to offer, but today that is not the case.

I have a Cayin A-100T integrated tube amp, and I would compare it to anything that could be thrown at it at twice the price.

Chinese manufacturers have demonstrated a very short learning curve, they know what needs their attention and they usually fix it quickly.

Thanks to China, high end audio is a lot more affordable and many who would like to enter the high end audio experience can now do so.

Cheers
 
I just can't use Chinese tubes. Maybe it's some sort of stigma, or just dislike of the Country. For the prices of the treasures I've seen, I'll stick with European devices in my amps.:dunno:
 
I just can't use Chinese tubes. Maybe it's some sort of stigma, or just dislike of the Country. For the prices of the treasures I've seen, I'll stick with European devices in my amps.:dunno:

I'll admit to the same prejudice, but I was blown away by the TJ Full Music 12AX7s in my guitar amps. I'd have no problem using those instead of the old Mullards I'm using now. I'd be using the TJs for certain if money wasn't so tight right now.
 
even though these may sound good, that does not mean anything if they have a high failure rate and/or a short life span.
 
Haven't heard anything negative about the TJs in any respect. Have you had problems with them?
 
No surprise...energetic, industrious, educated population, egged on by its government to succeed in business.
 
I'll admit to the same prejudice, but I was blown away by the TJ Full Music 12AX7s in my guitar amps. I'd have no problem using those instead of the old Mullards I'm using now. I'd be using the TJs for certain if money wasn't so tight right now.

I'm always looking for a good modern 12AX7 to use in older integrated restos. I'll give these a try, are they spensive?:scratch2:
 
I just can't use Chinese tubes. Maybe it's some sort of stigma, or just dislike of the Country. For the prices of the treasures I've seen, I'll stick with European devices in my amps.:dunno:

I paid just a bit more than a matched quad of Genelex Gold Lion KT77 reissues would run. Got a lead from the guys at the tube asylum for a good reliable vendor. I am glad I did.
 
Indeed

No surprise...energetic, industrious, educated population, egged on by its government to succeed in business.

Shuguang is the largest tube manufacturer in the world at this point. They are ISO 9001 certified. They are partnered up with Philips in South Korea. The ISO process tells me that the quality I'm seeing in the suites of tubes I bought from Grant Fidelity is no accident. They sounded good out of the boxes and they just kept getting better.

They are here to stay and since we sold our tube manufacturing ability to Russia and China, we really don't have very many choices for new tubes.

I am also looking at the Treasure series of KT88s for my Bob Latino ST-70. I am currently running NI Genalex KT88s and have no complaints but perhaps a bit of tube rolling is in my future...

And I thought that wine collecting and enjoying was a demanding hobby!
 
I've had good luck with Russian tubes, older and modern day.:yes: (and they tore down the wall ).:thmbsp:
 
The psvane 12ax7 and 12at7 easily bested my telefunkens, rca blackplates, sylvanias, and electro harmonix.

I purchased them from grant for 35 dollars a pop, but compare to old stock and its a bargain.

Actually i rarely buy tubes. Most of my stock is pulls. If sound quality matters however they are worth a try.

First small signal tubes i have come across that do everything right.
 
Due to the cost of the better Chinese tubes, NOS still seems to be a better value. But as the NOS supply dwindles, it's a good to know that there is light at the end of that tunnel.
 
It just seems like anything that comes out of that country is junk. Have you ever bought anything like a rug from Walmart? First time you try to wash it, it falls apart and screws up your washer.:thumbsdn: Brake rotors, harmonic dampers/balancers, bearings, Walmart type electronics etc.....

I hope they are making great tubes, but as long as Sovtek and my supply of old stock are around, they won't get my money.:no:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a matched pair of Valve Art 350B tubes for $34.50 brand new, and I have to say I'm impressed by the visible construction quality and the sound. They look a lot like WE 350Bs internally. I'm using them as shunt regulator tubes in a Supratek Chenin preamp and believe it or not the sound is definitely improved with the 350Bs in place, versus the Sovtek KT66 or Sovtek 5881 that were in that position previously. 350Bs have a higher transconductance than the 6L6 types, which is important in a shunt regulator, so perhaps that is the reason.

Only time will tell how durable they are, but so far, so good.
 
It's interesting that the Psvane 12a tubes are getting it right as far as sonics go.If it is true that they best Telefunkin and other high quality new tubes,that is something.I have wondered what the important factors were in making a new tube as good as the old ones.Im sure that the physical layout of the plates and grids is a huge factor.I also read that the old tubes had certain coatings on the plates that due to metal toxicity issues can no longer be used.To think that we are still talking about vacuum tube technology and vinyl records is...Great!
Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom