• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Choice - Spendor S6e or Epos M22 or Epos M12.2?

FauxHall

Super Member
I trust the Spendors the most but I already have a pair of A6rs in my music room. The new speakers would go into the living room (they call it "sala" here) around the new TV. However, I see little use for them working with video except maybe in concert Blu-Rays - which I don't have yet.

Both Epos' look lovely and have their fans although they are sometimes criticized for sounding thin. I've heard the M22s and the M5s years ago and was impressed.

One issue is my music on on a 35 wpc Sony HAP-S1 hi-res player but all three have about the same sensitivity but a more powerful amp would still mean clearer and louder bass.

Anyways, this looks like the most-interesting eBay offerings at the moment. The Spendor S5e also looks attractive and I had a good deal won on the auction site but the seller cancelled on me - "Too much work." Shipping to the Big Sand Box is a problem and an expense - the total cost of the M22 is twice that of the M12.2 for example.

Any opinions to share?
 
Register to hide this ad
So I do have considerable experience with both speakers. The Epos came just after a great speaker and just before their most disastrous. It sounds like that. A combination of incredible insight and bright ear splitting upper midrange. On the one hand there is an openness in the middle that is almost incomparable and on the other hand they are sometimes unlistenable.

The Spendor is from a different time than your A6R. I also owned the A6R. I loved the lower midrange and bass. I felt they were one good tweeter from being excellent, but alas not. The older Spendor in question is smoother and easier on the ears. Somewhat more difficult to drive but worth it.

If you enjoy the British sound have you considered Harbeth or Graham.
 
Sounds like you decline to recommend either Epos speaker and prefer the S6e to the A6r.

Am I close?

As to Harbeth, the prices, even used look like no value and outside my budget. I'll look into Graham.
 
Take your time and find something really good. I have Harbeth speakers as well and really enjoy them, but as you say, they are not inexpensive. Two other brands I would suggest you consider are Monitor Audio and Dynaudio. Both make wonderful 2-way bookshelves that are more alike than different with other British 2-way speakers. Good luck.
 
My problem is that I can't audition before I buy.

I'm a long way away from any markets or other audiophiles so I have to make a decision without listening then roll the dice, including high shipping cost.
 
I trust the Spendors the most but I already have a pair of A6rs in my music room. The new speakers would go into the living room (they call it "sala" here) around the new TV. However, I see little use for them working with video except maybe in concert Blu-Rays - which I don't have yet.

Both Epos' look lovely and have their fans although they are sometimes criticized for sounding thin. I've heard the M22s and the M5s years ago and was impressed.

One issue is my music on on a 35 wpc Sony HAP-S1 hi-res player but all three have about the same sensitivity but a more powerful amp would still mean clearer and louder bass.

Anyways, this looks like the most-interesting eBay offerings at the moment. The Spendor S5e also looks attractive and I had a good deal won on the auction site but the seller cancelled on me - "Too much work." Shipping to the Big Sand Box is a problem and an expense - the total cost of the M22 is twice that of the M12.2 for example.

Any opinions to share?

I personally would increase my power from 35 wpc to somewhere in the 100 wpc range before spending big money on a set of speakers that may be under powered by 35 wpc. The A6r's have rave reviews. More headroom is a good thing. Like you said, The bass will improve with a little more power. Try adding an amplifier first to see how you like the results. It just may awaken the A6rs and give you the sound your wanting to hear.
 
The Spendors I have need not be upgraded and are powered by a 80 wpc Sony TA-A1ES integrated which I intend to keep.

The Sony SS-HA1 speakers are the subject of an upgrade. Sure, more power would help but I'm looking for something in wood with deeper bass. A more powerful amp might follow.
 
The Spendors I have need not be upgraded and are powered by a 80 wpc Sony TA-A1ES integrated which I intend to keep.

The Sony SS-HA1 speakers are the subject of an upgrade. Sure, more power would help but I'm looking for something in wood with deeper bass. A more powerful amp might follow.
Do you have HA1 or HA3 speakers or both? I thought you mentioned in another post that you have HA3's. The HA1's are the higher end model.
 
Sounds like you decline to recommend either Epos speaker and prefer the S6e to the A6r.

Am I close?

As to Harbeth, the prices, even used look like no value and outside my budget. I'll look into Graham.
Although I never came back to this thread…just didn’t see it pop up, nothing intentional. You were correct.
 
Back
Top Bottom