• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Choices, choices, choices. Do I buy a new tunrtable?

Chris_M

Active Member
I currently have a Kenwood KD-3070. I have a Ortofon 2M Red on it (planning to upgrade later). It has a bit of noise associated with it when the platter is engaged. I like it but I am not enthralled by it.

I also have a Systemdek IIX that is sitting in a cupboard. This TT was given to me around the same time I got my Kenwood KD-3070. I guess I never favored it as it was completely manual and had a floating platter. Essentially the Kenwood was easier for me to deal with while getting into this hobby.


Now I have the opportunity to buy an an Acoustic Research AR77XB turntable with Mayware Formula IV tonearm and Mission Sorbomat turntable mat. The price is $370. Should I jump on this? I am trying to decide if this is a worth worthwhile upgrade from what I have now. I do really like like the look of the AR.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I guess I would ask, why not pull out the Systemdek? The AR is also manual, so I would look at getting the Systemdek running with a new cart and see what you think.
 
That AR is a really nice table, but that arm is designed to work best with super high compliance cartridges.
I agree that pulling out that Systemdeck is a good start.
 
I guess I would ask, why not pull out the Systemdek? The AR is also manual, so I would look at getting the Systemdek running with a new cart and see what you think.

That AR is a really nice table, but that arm is designed to work best with super high compliance cartridges.
I agree that pulling out that Systemdeck is a good start.

The AR table is really nice looking!
But you think I would be just as well off spending the money to get the Systemdek setup and get a new cartridge? That is what I am gathering.


Is the modern Ortofon 2M Red (and the subsequent series) not considered high compliance?
 
I think they are high compliance.

But the Mayware arm can use really high compliance - like an original Shure V15 IV running at 1gm tracking force ...
 
The Systemdek IIX is also a very nice-looking turntable. Do you know which tonearm is installed on it? I believe the OEM tonearm was made by Jelco, and should be a good arm.
 
The Systemdek IIX is also a very nice-looking turntable. Do you know which tonearm is installed on it? I believe the OEM tonearm was made by Jelco, and should be a good arm.
Stock tonearm

I might bring it somewhere for some general maintenance and inspection then install my 2M Red on it.

I think I will pass on the Acoustic Research for now. It sounds like the tonearm is nice but a little finicky for now.
 
Almost all older AR's need something. If this has been refurb'd, OK. But, if not, you are looking at work.

I picked one up with a Mayware arm a few years ago at a garage sale. I looked at what it needed and decided to give it away here on Ak to someone who does AR's for their hobby.

Personally, I'd rather work on speakers :D
 
Another vote for the Systemdek, and definitely upgrade that cartridge. You can do way, way better than an Ortofon 2M (of any color).
 
I guess I would ask, why not pull out the Systemdek? The AR is also manual, so I would look at getting the Systemdek running with a new cart and see what you think.

That AR is a really nice table, but that arm is designed to work best with super high compliance cartridges.
I agree that pulling out that Systemdeck is a good start.

The Systemdek IIX is also a very nice-looking turntable. Do you know which tonearm is installed on it? I believe the OEM tonearm was made by Jelco, and should be a good arm.

The Systemdek is the better turntable anyway, so put the money into that.

Another vote for the Systemdek, and definitely upgrade that cartridge. You can do way, way better than an Ortofon 2M (of any color).

Ok I am sticking with the Systemdek. I am taking it tomorrow to get it looked at and setup.

I am going to get a new cartridge, total fresh start with this turntable. I was thinking a Ortofon 2M Bronze or a Nagaoka MP-150 or MP-200. Thoughts?
There is also some Grado offerings but I am not as interested in them.
 
I dislike Ortofon but that's just me. (Very, very bad experience with a 2M Black I'd rather not go into.) Depends on your budget. To be honest, I'm more fond of the sound of a Grado, although I'd upgrade the stylus tip to one of their best (unless it's one of the wood-bodied models that doesn't have a replaceable stylus). I guess they hum with some turntables but I have never experienced that with the two I've owned. Never heard a Nagaoka but have read many favorable things about them, the upper models seeming to be a little more in favor (in terms of tracking). The A-Ts like the 440ML or 150ATX will out-track most other carts but they take some fiddling with to tame down the brightness (proper loading will smooth them out). High-output moving coils might be an option if budget allows.
 
I dislike Ortofon but that's just me. (Very, very bad experience with a 2M Black I'd rather not go into.) Depends on your budget. To be honest, I'm more fond of the sound of a Grado, although I'd upgrade the stylus tip to one of their best (unless it's one of the wood-bodied models that doesn't have a replaceable stylus). I guess they hum with some turntables but I have never experienced that with the two I've owned. Never heard a Nagaoka but have read many favorable things about them, the upper models seeming to be a little more in favor (in terms of tracking). The A-Ts like the 440ML or 150ATX will out-track most other carts but they take some fiddling with to tame down the brightness (proper loading will smooth them out). High-output moving coils might be an option if budget allows.
Thanks for the advice.

Why is some have issues hum on the Grado's and some don't?
 
Back
Top Bottom