• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Choices choices choices

Gustercc

New Member
Currently, I have an AT-LP120 usb Black. First gen
Available on my area, I have a AR-XA with a shutter shure m97a, a Pro-ject Carbon debut with a standard Ortofon red, a dual 1219 and a dual 510 don’t know the styli for the duals.
Which one of these would be an upgrade?
So far, I’ve been pleased with the 120 (generic stylus) and it has served me well. But now, as some of us do, I’ve got the upgrade itch. I listen to just about everything. Jazz, rock, alternative acoustic, etc.
I want a turntable will that benefit from upgrades later down the line. Stylus, tone arm, or inter connects, etc.

Currently running a Marantz 2285b, with HPM 100’s and a pair of infinity rs5b’s for jazz.
 
Register to hide this ad
They each would be an upgrade.

If you want a manual table, I'd grab the XA (and get ready to buy a new belt).

If you want automatic, I'd grab the 1219 (and get ready to take it apart, clean and lubricate, re-assemble, and possibly have to order a new idler wheel, and possibly have to fix or get a new headshell sled).
 
Yep I agree re no to Project, I had motor issues too.
Best turntable I have ever heard is my sl1200g, the sl1210mk2 is so close it is not funny. Yes the mk2 is modded, but maybe 500 dollars of mods makes the mk2 a very cheap very good turntable for the money.
Chris
 
The AR XA, with the right mods, done well is an “end game” turntable. The Dual 1219 can also be, but from my experience, more people seem to move on from the Dual. I’ d go with the AR. XA.
 
I'd personally stay away from the Pro-ject. They have lots of problems with motor noise, hum, etc. Do a search.

It's just my opinion, but I don't really care for any of the particle board slab belt drive TTs.

I don't like the particle board slab bet drives, in general, either. But having said that, my favourite turntable now is a Mission 775S (with a Grace G707 tonearm). Simply fantastic table, and very much under the radar (meaning they are still affordable - if you can find one. But only the 775S or 775SM, not the lesser 775LC). Perhaps the last sleeper hifi turntable around.
 
Back
Top Bottom