• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Choosing a well matched cartridge for my tonearm

Norton66

New Member
Hi guys. How do I make an educated choice of cartridges for my particular turntable and tonearm? I have a Systemdek IIX with Linn Basik tonearm. I'm currently using a Stanton 500 Gold cart. I see a lot of comments saying "I like my..." But there has to be specifics for choosing a good match. Any advice would be appreciated. Musical taste varies from punk, blues, soul, r & b, garage, surf, swing and even Exotica.
 
Register to hide this ad
Musical taste varies from punk, blues, soul, r & b, garage, surf, swing and even Exotica.

Your taste is impeccable!

I suspect that you collect old 45s, and that Stanton is a great cart for that.

For your "good" records, I would suspect that any quality cartridge with a low compliance cantilever will work. What's yer budget?
 
I could comfortably spend around $300 USD
Your taste is impeccable!

I suspect that you collect old 45s, and that Stanton is a great cart for that.

For your "good" records, I would suspect that any quality cartridge with a low compliance cantilever will work. What's yer budget?
 
Describe the characteristics that are most important to you. Lots of options in that price range.
"Characteristics"? Hmmm.... I'm not even sure what to consider. I guess that's why I'm here, asking for advice. I bought the Systemdek about 3 years ago and have been using the Stanton cart that was on it. I'm finally getting around to upgrading. From what I understand, that tt is worthy of a better cart. But I don't know what I need to consider before buying. By the way, I use a Technics SL -1700 MK2 for my old 45's. The Systemdek is my main set-up for more "critical" listening. As far as important characteristics, well... I don't know. But if I'm going to spend the money, I don't want to be disappointed. I'm running DCM Timeframe speakers which I really like. But they lack a little on the bottom end. If a particular cartridge would help with that, I'd have a starting point. But also want clear, detailed highs. I'm here to learn and would appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance. Have a good night.
 
You may be interest in the Nagaoka MP-200.

Should be a good match for the "Systemdek IIX with Linn Basik" - Plus (?) tone arm. :idea:

- Cantilever: High-strength Boron
- Stylus type: Superfine elliptical diamond
- Weight: 6.5 g
- Dynamic compliance: 7.2 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Static compliance: 20 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Tracking force range: 1.5 - 2.0 g

http://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAMP200.html
 
Back
Top Bottom