• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Choosing speakers for McIntosh 2505 + C25 power amp

instatone

New Member
I’m quite unhappy with my Quads paired with my McIntosh 2505 and C26. I went as far as adding a pricy SVS subwoofer but am finally going to bite the bullet and try to find a better pairing for my beautiful McIntosh. I would prefer to spend $1k for speakers. The room has one open wall that leads to another room so worry about getting bookshelves. I don’t want giant speakers though. I’ve thought about vintage Klipsch heresies but open to new speakers as well. Everything online talks about speakers that are extremely expensive so wondering what to do. I listen to high quality jazz recordings primarily. Listen to a lot of Blue Note and enjoying the renaissance of outstanding reprints too like many of you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
$1K is going to be a tuff # to let the Mac gear shine. I'm thinking 15's and horns. Maybe some older Cornwalls?
What is the condition of the 40+ year old McIntosh gear in?
 
You've already got a good sub so you should be able to find a pair of mains that work for you. What model Quads do you have and what are the specs?

Im running a 2505 with a MX112 pre and I have a Velodyne sub and am very satisfied with the pairing. I've used several different mains and currently run Polk LS50s. Ohm C2 are nice there too.
 
$1K is going to be a tuff # to let the Mac gear shine. I'm thinking 15's and horns. Maybe some older Cornwalls?
What is the condition of the 40+ year old McIntosh gear in?

The condition is pretty perfect. I can send you pictures but they look great. I bought them from a nice place so I assume they've been refurbished internally but can't say for certain. There is no white noise or hum when I turn up the volume and have nothing playing, for instance.
 
You've already got a good sub so you should be able to find a pair of mains that work for you. What model Quads do you have and what are the specs?

Im running a 2505 with a MX112 pre and I have a Velodyne sub and am very satisfied with the pairing. I've used several different mains and currently run Polk LS50s. Ohm C2 are nice there too.

Hi Bill, sure, if I HAVE to add some extra dough so be it.. Just not in the mood to drop $4K on speakers. Maybe $2K. :). But I do want the wooden cabinet vintage look and nothing monstrously large. I have a pair of horn towers from the 90s upstairs on my other McIntosh and although they just don't look right they sound fantastic. The Quads, though, are Quads 22L.

  • Frequency response: 30-24kHz.
  • Power handling: 30 to 300 watts.
  • Nominal impedance: 6 ohms.
  • Sensitivity: 89 dB.
  • Driver complement: 1 x 1", 2 x 6.5"
  • Dimensions: 34" x 8" x 11"
  • Weight: 36 lbs.
https://www.hifix.co.uk/quad-22l-speakers
 
McIntosh did make some good speakers if you can find them at a good price and in good condition...
 
I just bought Revels Concerta2 F36 to go with my Mc152 and Mx113 I've been through lots of speakers in my day but these Revels brings out the best of the McIntosh or Visa versa
 
Hi Bill, sure, if I HAVE to add some extra dough so be it.. Just not in the mood to drop $4K on speakers. Maybe $2K. :). But I do want the wooden cabinet vintage look and nothing monstrously large. I have a pair of horn towers from the 90s upstairs on my other McIntosh and although they just don't look right they sound fantastic. The Quads, though, are Quads 22L.

  • Frequency response: 30-24kHz.
  • Power handling: 30 to 300 watts.
  • Nominal impedance: 6 ohms.
  • Sensitivity: 89 dB.
  • Driver complement: 1 x 1", 2 x 6.5"
  • Dimensions: 34" x 8" x 11"
  • Weight: 36 lbs.
https://www.hifix.co.uk/quad-22l-speakers
I see you have a nice sub. Your room is a decent size but mine is even bigger. (20x25 and open to the rest of the 1st floor).

I have the same amp with Polk LS50 speakers. Similar specs to your Quads both in size and freq. Im running a 12" Velodyne sub and I can fill the room with sound.
 
Last edited:
The condition is pretty perfect. I can send you pictures but they look great. I bought them from a nice place so I assume they've been refurbished internally but can't say for certain. There is no white noise or hum when I turn up the volume and have nothing playing, for instance.
Just because you bought it from a reputable dealer, and it looks awesome, and it is quiet does not guarantee that all the known 50+ year old components
that are routinely changed are not still in them. would you be able to tell if it was only putting out 37 watts instead of 50+ WPC? what about 4% distortion instead of less than 1%?
Doubt it.
 
Last edited:
Just because you bought it from a reputable dealer, and it looks awesome, and it is quiet does not guarantee that all the known 50+ year old components
that are routinely changed are not still in them. would you be able to tell if it was only putting out 37 watts instead of 50+ WPC? what about 4% distortion instead of less than 1%?
Doubt it.
Every one I've seen that's healthy puts out 72-73 wpc. Given he has a nice sub, there's something not right. I have a bigger room with the same amp and similar spec speakers with a Velodyne sub and it fills the room and then some.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom