• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Chord Qutest - linear power supply... anyone try one of these with it?

RunOutGroove

Addicted Member
I just got one of these things and it sounds phenomenal, which it ought to considering that I upgraded from a Schiit Modius which goes for a fraction as much. With as happy as I am with the way that it sounds (my CDs seem to have a whole new life to them that they never had before!), I can't help thinking about whether it may sound even better still with a linear power supply. It does seem odd that such a premium unit comes with a wall wart type of power supply, though I suppose that the only thing that matters if the sound, and it does sound great... but could it sound even better? I see that these linear power supplies can go for big $, though unfortunately my budget is more modest, but if there's something that fits the bill that is just a few hundred, or preferably even less which would be likely to add a noticeable step up in sound quality, I'd like to know about it.

Has anyone with a Chord Qutest experimented with this kind of thing?
 
Register to hide this ad
Just to note: if you use a different PSU and your unit developed a fault, the third party PSU will void your warranty. Rob Watts also has mentioned several times not to use a linear PSU with their products that came with a wall wart.

Rob Watts and John Franks visited some time ago to give a presentation about their Chord Suzi pre launch. Among many topics they covered was about the wall wart or SMPS power supply.

“Linear power supplies are very transparent," Watts explained. "So there's a lot of electronic interference beyond the human frequency range that can pass through. Even if it is within the megahertz range, it can introduce modulated interference in the audible range.

"With a properly made SMPS, there are filters on the input and output so we can reduce the interference drastically," Watts added.

If you use USB, the Qutest also has galvanic isolation between the USB data and power.

With that being said, I did extensive testing with the Qutest and it definitely sounds amazing. I miss it.
 
Linear power supplies making everything sound better is apparently a myth. Can they make some gear sound better, probably. Not a magic bullet though for every piece of gear. Have seen this discussed many times in various forums.
 
In my experience, I have a Mofi studiophono pre. I'd been looking at a LPSU in the bay for some time. I finally pulled the trigger, and it made a noticeable difference.

It was just over $100 it was brand and model specific, the din connection was correct.

I saw an improvement YMMV.
 
I do have a Qutest and it uses an iFI power supply, still a wall wart. Bought the iFi on the recommendation of a buddy that deals in high end audio.
 
Thanks for the responses. I think that short of any response which says "this power supply is cheap and really supercharges that thing" that maybe I'll just use what I have, and not bother with any kind of upgrade. I am really enjoying this thing... far more than I thought I might, so it's great as is...
 
Enjoy your Qutest, which sounds great even with stock smps. At some point if you get curious, try Eneloop 1.2V NiMH rechargeable batteries (need 4, or double up for more time). I prefer the Eneloops to multiple linear power supplies and various "5V USB battery packs."

1225232207 by drjlo2, on Flickr
 
I'm currently listening to my Qutest that's powered by an HDPLEX LPS. There is no improvement in sound quality. It's just electricity. The reason for the HDPLEX is it also powers my Roon NUC so less wall warts. One plug instead of two. Not to beat a dead horse, but do a little digging on the qualities of LPS vs switching supplies. My observation, it's about construction quality not type. The supply provided by Chord is perfectly adequate for it's intended purpose. I think your original question answered itself. Why would Chord put a cheap power supply in a high end product? They wouldn't.
 
Last edited:
I do have a Qutest and it uses an iFI power supply, still a wall wart. Bought the iFi on the recommendation of a buddy that deals in high end audio.
iFi`s pricy highly filtered SMPS wall wart was recommended for my Pro Ject S2 DAC for better SQ, and after nearly 8 yrs. of it powering my 24/7/365 powered DAC, I FIRMLY believe it did improve the clarity of the Pro Ject S2 DAC, that I use all day from wakeup until I go to bed.
 
iFi`s pricy highly filtered SMPS wall wart was recommended for my Pro Ject S2 DAC for better SQ, and after nearly 8 yrs. of it powering my 24/7/365 powered DAC, I FIRMLY believe it did improve the clarity of the Pro Ject S2 DAC, that I use all day from wakeup until I go to bed.
.
Would you please try the stock power supply for the next two weeks and report your findings? Thanks.
.
 
.
Would you please try the stock power supply for the next two weeks and report your findings? Thanks.
.
Why ? I ran the OEM provided one for over 2 months before looking into the highly & wildly recommended iFi brand one, using my same exact playback systems and WAV. ripped 2 different HQ digital music sources !

I have no desire to make a playback SQ step backwards for a test ?

I, currently at 70 yrs. old have made most of my adult living with the pursuit of HQ sound, and trust my interpretation of what I prefer which is surgical, not some "warm" sound that seems to be attractive and sought by so many folks on this forum from reading A/K posts since 2014 for a feel to determine if I wished to join any forum & finally joining in summer of 2016!

Thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks, I have 4 different separates based HQ stereos dispersed around my house in daily use for decades, and they easily convey to mine and other trusted audiophool friends ears, even small +/- changes in SQ.
 
Why ? I ran the OEM provided one for over 2 months before looking into the highly & wildly recommended iFi brand one, using my same exact playback systems and WAV. ripped 2 different HQ digital music sources !

I have no desire to make a playback SQ step backwards for a test ?

I, currently at 70 yrs. old have made most of my adult living with the pursuit of HQ sound, and trust my interpretation of what I prefer which is surgical, not some "warm" sound that seems to be attractive and sought by so many folks on this forum from reading A/K posts since 2014 for a feel to determine if I wished to join any forum & finally joining in summer of 2016!

Thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks, I have 4 different separates based HQ stereos dispersed around my house in daily use for decades, and they easily convey to mine and other trusted audiophool friends ears, even small +/- changes in SQ.
.
You did not state, that I am aware of, that you ran the stock unit for 2 months. Eight years is a long time. I‘d be curious after that amount of time if you would still feel it to be a step backwards after using it again. For kicks, I am 70 years old too and still trying to learn as much as I can about HQ sound. That is all.
.
 
Save your money for something you really need. These devices have internal filtering and voltage conversion circuits that render power supply upgrades meaningless.
 
.
You did not state, that I am aware of, that you ran the stock unit for 2 months. Eight years is a long time. I‘d be curious after that amount of time if you would still feel it to be a step backwards after using it again. For kicks, I am 70 years old too and still trying to learn as much as I can about HQ sound. That is all.
.
That`s correct, I initially didn`t convey in the earlier post of living with the OEM DAC provided SMPS wall wart.

Back then I was just getting into external DACs, and WAV. ripped and stored in thumb drives, & internal/eternal SSD digital music for use in my house, as prior I used HQ multi CD/SACD/DVD disc players using their internal DACs with their analog outputs fed to my house`s living room`s master source/ and various source selection A/V rack for all day music playing HQ hard wired audio distribution for my house`s 7 rooms.
When I started thinking about experimenting by trying an external DAC fed from the various player`s S/PDIF coax outputs to seek any improvement in the music`s SQ, if possible in 2016 by purchasing and trying several (actually 3, from $ 700.00 to 2,000.00, to finally 500.00) DACs of various pricing and claimed SQ performance in search of finding one that provided me with as close as I could get, or preferably exceeding to my 2 existing highest quality optical based media player`s analog output.
The last DAC purchased was the Pro ject S2, and it provided the best SQ to my ears and other interested curious friends for 2 months.
But there was a very mild residual digital glare that was present when my best long time owned reference CDs when played through the Pro-ject brand S2 DAC, so I decided to purchase the highly recommended for the S2 DAC $50.00 at that time iFi SMPS wall wart, via Amazon for no hassle return if it didn`t help with reducing the very mild, but still annoying digital glare present, and there was a perceived reduction in the light digital glare with the use of the iFi brand HQ filtered wall wart, so it remained powering 24/7/365 the S2 DAC since.

Though there was still some perceived very, very mild glare still present, so since I was impressed with iFi`s wall wart improvement enough to look into later purchasing, again via Amazon, one of iFi`s externally powered inline S/PDIF coax digital signal re-clockers to see if the use of one or more of them inserted in the S/PDIF coax feeds might help remove that last little bit of digital glare in my music, and 2 of them did the trick, especially for my then OPPO 103 master player being fed via a high capacity USB fed thumb drive remotely located in my sunroom because of no room present in the living room`s A/V rack for it, and that player`s remote location required a 60 ft. of very HQ coax cable from the player to reach the A/V rack to get to the DAC.
I`m not interested in messing with my DAC`s setup in anyway, as I`m extremely pleased with the SQ performance, and with the highly dense audio & video wiring (AKA "Snake farm") behind my living room`s A/V rack, I`ve learned that if I fuss with anything behind it, as other perfectly functioning audio, and or video devices and their connection unnecessarily tampered with will certainly create issues that I will have to thoroughly test for and track down troubleshoot for proper functionality !

Been there, done that since the last and final for my life A/V rack upgrade in 2009, I`m too old and partially paralyzed to needlessly screw with what currently works perfectly !
 
That`s correct, I initially didn`t convey in the earlier post of living with the OEM DAC provided SMPS wall wart.

Back then I was just getting into external DACs, and WAV. ripped and stored in thumb drives, & internal/eternal SSD digital music for use in my house, as prior I used HQ multi CD/SACD/DVD disc players using their internal DACs with their analog outputs fed to my house`s living room`s master source/ and various source selection A/V rack for all day music playing HQ hard wired audio distribution for my house`s 7 rooms.
When I started thinking about experimenting by trying an external DAC fed from the various player`s S/PDIF coax outputs to seek any improvement in the music`s SQ, if possible in 2016 by purchasing and trying several (actually 3, from $ 700.00 to 2,000.00, to finally 500.00) DACs of various pricing and claimed SQ performance in search of finding one that provided me with as close as I could get, or preferably exceeding to my 2 existing highest quality optical based media player`s analog output.
The last DAC purchased was the Pro ject S2, and it provided the best SQ to my ears and other interested curious friends for 2 months.
But there was a very mild residual digital glare that was present when my best long time owned reference CDs when played through the Pro-ject brand S2 DAC, so I decided to purchase the highly recommended for the S2 DAC $50.00 at that time iFi SMPS wall wart, via Amazon for no hassle return if it didn`t help with reducing the very mild, but still annoying digital glare present, and there was a perceived reduction in the light digital glare with the use of the iFi brand HQ filtered wall wart, so it remained powering 24/7/365 the S2 DAC since.

Though there was still some perceived very, very mild glare still present, so since I was impressed with iFi`s wall wart improvement enough to look into later purchasing, again via Amazon, one of iFi`s externally powered inline S/PDIF coax digital signal re-clockers to see if the use of one or more of them inserted in the S/PDIF coax feeds might help remove that last little bit of digital glare in my music, and 2 of them did the trick, especially for my then OPPO 103 master player being fed via a high capacity USB fed thumb drive remotely located in my sunroom because of no room present in the living room`s A/V rack for it, and that player`s remote location required a 60 ft. of very HQ coax cable from the player to reach the A/V rack to get to the DAC.
I`m not interested in messing with my DAC`s setup in anyway, as I`m extremely pleased with the SQ performance, and with the highly dense audio & video wiring (AKA "Snake farm") behind my living room`s A/V rack, I`ve learned that if I fuss with anything behind it, as other perfectly functioning audio, and or video devices and their connection unnecessarily tampered with will certainly create issues that I will have to thoroughly test for and track down troubleshoot for proper functionality !

Been there, done that since the last and final for my life A/V rack upgrade in 2009, I`m too old and partially paralyzed to needlessly screw with what currently works perfectly !
.
Very good. Thanks for your thorough explanation.
.
 
Back
Top Bottom