• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Chromecast Audio for old school dummy

I have three stand alone DAC's, a Schiit Modi Multibit, an Audio GD NFB 12 and the Fiio D3. I have compared all three against the 3.5 mm CCA analog output and folks it ain't even close. The Modi and Audio GD take the lowly CCA to a level you won't hear unless you try it for yourself. Anyone with a decent DAC will say the same as they have in other threads.
 
Yes, as the measurements show, it's not a Benchmark DAC, but it's unlikely anyone will be able to actually hear any difference. They're fooling themselves if they think they can, but of course audiophiles can be a funny lot, lol.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html?m=1

Chicks... way to go! That link is super. Anyone who has a comment about the CCA needs to read this article. I'm sure that I could not tell the difference between the CCA and most any other DAC.
 
Chicks... way to go! That link is super. Anyone who has a comment about the CCA needs to read this article. I'm sure that I could not tell the difference between the CCA and most any other DAC.

Depends on how resolving the rest of your system is.
 
In his review this is what John Darko says about the CCA's DAC:

"As one might expect, the internal DAC isn’t much to write home about. Tapping the 3.5mm socket’s analogue output with the Mytek Brooklyn DAC’s analogue input via an AudioQuest Golden Gate 3.5mm-RCA cable revealed a somewhat lacklustre handling of microdynamics and a porridge-smeared window on the music. I’m dramatising a little with the breakfast cereal analogy but consider this: the iPhone 6S Plus’ headphone socket sounds better."
 
In his review this is what John Darko says about the CCA's DAC:

"As one might expect, the internal DAC isn’t much to write home about. Tapping the 3.5mm socket’s analogue output with the Mytek Brooklyn DAC’s analogue input via an AudioQuest Golden Gate 3.5mm-RCA cable revealed a somewhat lacklustre handling of microdynamics and a porridge-smeared window on the music. I’m dramatising a little with the breakfast cereal analogy but consider this: the iPhone 6S Plus’ headphone socket sounds better."

Poultrygeist... this is a great example of "How do I know whom to believe?" It seems for every positive review of a piece of audio hardware, there is an equivalent negative review. I'll read one person's review and their arguments sound good, logical, reasonable... a positive review. Then, I'll read another's review which presents different arguments, equally good, logical, reasonable... and thumbs down.

There are many times when I have read what I thought was a definitive review of a piece of audio equipment by someone reasonably well respected. Only to soon find another equally definitive review that comes up with a very different conclusion. It sure makes for confusion for me as I try to obtain better audio quality within reason (I'm thinking $$$ here).

All this makes it difficult for me to make choices when it comes to audio equipment. I try to educate myself regarding a component, read up on it, and then make what I hope is an informed choice. Again, only to read later on of someone's negative review of the component.

Maybe we could start a new thread entitled, "How do I know whom to believe?"

Thanks for your efforts to educate me. Cheers!:beerchug:
 
Maybe we could start a new thread entitled, "How do I know whom to believe?"
I have 2 CCA's in 2 systems (Parasound 2100 pre/ST-35 amp/Pioneer BS22 speakers/Polk sub & Fisher 500B/Infinity RSb). Each has their own sound signature. I've used analog and digital (to TubeDAC-11) and to these ears I don't hear an appreciable difference. I choose to not bother with the external DAC. It's just one more thing to turn on. I'm very happy as is, especially now that I'm streaming Tidal HiFi. I can hear a difference with that as a source (compared to other sources).
 
Last edited:
I have 2 CCA's in 2 systems (Parasound 2100 pre/ST-35 amp/Pioneer BS22 speakers/Polk sub & Fisher 500B/Infinity RSb). Each has their own sound signature. I've used analog and digital (to TubeDAC-11) and to these ears I don't hear an appreciable difference. I choose to not bother with the external DAC. It's just one more thing to turn on. I'm very happy as is, especially now that I'm streaming Tidal HiFi. I can hear a difference with that as a source (compared to other sources).

I guess all we can rely on in the end is our own experience. With all of the choices... ranging from cheap to ultra spendy... there's always going to be something better/faster/bigger/clearer than anything one owns.

Interesting that you can tell a difference with Tidal. Is "Tidal HiFi" their high definition streaming?
 
MikeE 's chart in post #14 shows a highly resolving system which includes SET powered Silverlines. He's using the Schiit Modi MB like mine so if he's compared it with the CCA DAC it would be nice to hear his take.
 
I guess all we can rely on in the end is our own experience. With all of the choices... ranging from cheap to ultra spendy... there's always going to be something better/faster/bigger/clearer than anything one owns.

Interesting that you can tell a difference with Tidal. Is "Tidal HiFi" their high definition streaming?
Yes

Normal quality:

96 kbps (AAC +)

High quality:

320 kbps (AAC)

HiFi:

Flac 1411 kbps - Lossless

(16/44.1 khz)
 
MikE's chart in post #14 shows a highly resolving system which includes SET powered Silverlines. He's using the Schiit Modi MB like mine so if he's compared it with the CCA DAC it would be nice to hear his take.


Unfortunately, that was 9 months ago when I introduced the CCA into my home theatre system which is less resolving than my 2 channel. That said, I was very impressed by the SQ from the CCA. In fact that's what inspired me to snag a 2nd CCA for my 2 channel but by then I had already added the Schiit multibit dac and quickly began adding more pieces; PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, JJ 2A3 power tubes, Sys. Concepts digital cable, iFi S/PDIF iPurifier reclocker/jitter filter and Black Diamond Racing cones [speaker footers].

So not only is the system completely different but a number of components have changed in the system it currently resides. To answer your question I would have to run the CCA straight into the amp, bypassing the dac / jitter filter. Simple enough, just have to get around to it. I'm actually curious of the impact of the jitter filter as it should be fully stable by now. So I need to remove it from the loop.
 
Unfortunately, that was 9 months ago when I introduced the CCA into my home theatre system which is less resolving than my 2 channel. That said, I was very impressed by the SQ from the CCA. In fact that's what inspired me to snag a 2nd CCA for my 2 channel but by then I had already added the Schiit multibit dac and quickly began adding more pieces; PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, JJ 2A3 power tubes, Sys. Concepts digital cable, iFi S/PDIF iPurifier reclocker/jitter filter and Black Diamond Racing cones [speaker footers].

So not only is the system completely different but a number of components have changed in the system it currently resides. To answer your question I would have to run the CCA straight into the amp, bypassing the dac / jitter filter. Simple enough, just have to get around to it. I'm actually curious of the impact of the jitter filter as it should be fully stable by now. So I need to remove it from the loop.

So you've only used the CCA with an external DAC. It took me 5 minutes of listening to determine that the CCA's DAC was not up to snuff.

But for $25 ( on sale ) no one should expect it's internal DAC to compete with the $250 Schiit.
 
So you've only used the CCA with an external DAC. It took me 5 minutes of listening to determine that the CCA's DAC was not up to snuff.

But for $25 ( on sale ) no one should expect it's internal DAC to compete with the $250 Schiit.

No, I used the CCA sans dac for a month or so and was happy with it but that was in the home theatre system.
 
When I get around to it, I'll try running an optical output from the CA to my Denon AVR2308CI. I'll take all the fidelity I can get ($ dependent), but I never expected this to be my reference source in the first place. Better sound than bluetooth was all I think they were shooting for. And the possible multi room functionality. I wanted a way to get internet content on my home rig and it works for that. I'm happy with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom