• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Chromecast Ultra into Denon AVR-3500H.... good enough?

lattiboy

Well-Known Member
Hello everybody,

I should start out by saying that I am not nearly the perfectionist that many people on this forum are. I mostly listen to Spotify and Plex FLAC for my music. I’m thinking about going back to Tidal, but need to know if my current setup is worth it or if any relatively simple changes are worth doing.

As the title says, I currently run a chromecast ultra into a Denon 3500 over HDMI. This outputs via pre outs to a my amp. I’ve done the Audissey room correction (only applying it to sub 400hz sounds) and it sounds quite good to my ear.

My current idea was to go back to Tidal and get an Audioquest Dragonfly red + jitterbug and then stream from a Chromecast Audio currently sitting in my office. This isn’t a big investment, but I wondered what the consensus was with folks around here on HDMI based Chromecasts and AVRs like my Denon before I go spending a few hundred bucks!

Alternativey I could go from the Chromecast Audio to the optical on my Denon. That is a zero cost alternative.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I use Spotify premium and go from my CCA to my Onkyo via optical. Sounds plenty good enough for background listening. Cheap and simple. I’m considering the free trial for Amazon HD in which case I’d go through my Oppo dac into the Onkyo.
 
My CCA always treated me well. It's out of rotation now, but I'm going to re-install it back in the upstairs system here soon. I ran it to a Topping D30 DAC and they sounded great together.

You should be fine either way.
 
Hello everybody,

I should start out by saying that I am not nearly the perfectionist that many people on this forum are. I mostly listen to Spotify and Plex FLAC for my music. I’m thinking about going back to Tidal, but need to know if my current setup is worth it or if any relatively simple changes are worth doing.

As the title says, I currently run a chromecast ultra into a Denon 3500 over HDMI. This outputs via pre outs to a my amp. I’ve done the Audissey room correction (only applying it to sub 400hz sounds) and it sounds quite good to my ear.

My current idea was to go back to Tidal and get an Audioquest Dragonfly red + jitterbug and then stream from a Chromecast Audio currently sitting in my office. This isn’t a big investment, but I wondered what the consensus was with folks around here on HDMI based Chromecasts and AVRs like my Denon before I go spending a few hundred bucks!

Alternativey I could go from the Chromecast Audio to the optical on my Denon. That is a zero cost alternative.

Thanks!
Another way you could go which is cost effective and may sound better (it did to me when I tried it ) is use your oppo 103 via DNLA download the Mconnect app on your android or iOS device and you can run Tidal,Spotify , Qobuz etc , it’s easy and sounds great imo.

Audiofreak71
 
Back
Top Bottom