• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CL buyer has me baffled.

greyhnd

Active Member
I have a couple pieces for sale on CL with few bites. Today I received an email from a potential buyer and honestly I'm not sure if theguy is trying to scam me or not.

In my listing I asked for a phone number and the use of a keyword in the subject line. The guy provides both without even a question. Now, here's the potential problem. The guy wants the items shipped to Idaho, which is a major distance from me here in S. Indiana. According to him he's from the Indianapolis area and I asked him a few questions about Indy and he had the right answers.

I've never had anyone want me to ship something I'm selling and honestly, I don't need to sell these items bad enough to get burned. Does anyone here ever do any shipping to buyers on CL?
 
Register to hide this ad
Nothing scammy so far although crooks are very clever these days. If he pays by paypal (don't forget to add 4% for fees) and you can verify funds, you should be fine. Even better if he sends USPS money that you can cash immediately.
 
You have a couple choices.
-Tell him you are not willing to ship
-Tell him you will ship if he can provide you with PayPal 'personal' payment (gift or money owed). Maybe consider a USPS money order.

Don't let him send you a check of any kind, except for maybe a USPS Money Order. If you choose to accept a USPS Money Order, do not ship the item until you have cashed the money order (preferably cashed at the Post Office).

I have sold a couple items to distant buyers off Craigslist with no problems.

You can usually tell the scammers right off by their canned emails, offering more than your asking price, no specific item questions, sending a bank check, offering to have the item picked up to be shipped by their account, broken english, etc.
 
I have a couple pieces for sale on CL with few bites. Today I received an email from a potential buyer and honestly I'm not sure if theguy is trying to scam me or not.
I'd say "cover yourself". It could be--and probably is--perfectly legitimate. As others have said, I'd accept payment via PayPal or USPS money order only, with a few day holding time. Seems that CL official policy is to deal locally only...I've never used the site other than to look at things I don't need. :D

Prior to shipping the item, I'd take dated, detailed photographs of the item(s) with serial numbers visible...just in case. Don't forget to photograph the item when it's in the process of being packaged as well.
 
You can usually tell the scammers right off by their canned emails, offering more than your asking price, no specific item questions, sending a bank check, offering to have the item picked up to be shipped by their account, broken english, etc.

Are you serious.
 
Get the money (including shipping) first, then you can ship anywhere.... I've sold a few things that way.
 
<snip>
I've never had anyone want me to ship something I'm selling and honestly, I don't need to sell these items bad enough to get burned. Does anyone here ever do any shipping to buyers on CL?

If I'm looking for something in particular I do a google search across all CL. I've both bought and sold where shipping was involved.

<snip>...I'd accept payment via PayPal or USPS money order only,...<snip>

+1 on the USPS MO. Safer than Paypal! It's cheap on their end and easy for them to do. The only disadvantage it it takes a couple days for it to get from them to you in the mail. I tell them I'll ship the item as I cash the MO at the PO which is generally the day or day after I receive it.

Prior to shipping the item, I'd take dated, detailed photographs of the item(s) with serial numbers visible...just in case. Don't forget to photograph the item when it's in the process of being packaged as well.

Good advice as well, especially if you are shipping insured. And of course delivery confirmation is good too. Buyer pays for everything.

The only hesitation I'd have is if the the item is a huge hassle to package up for shipment.
 
Last edited:
I'm thinking of contacting the guy just to talk to him. If he sounds squirrelly I'll pass on the whole deal. He has asked about the condition of a piece of the items twice which seems more legit than the way the usual scammers do things.

I've never taken a payment via PayPal before so I'm not sure I want to go that way. I'll see what he says about a Postal Money Order. If he balks at that I'll probably just forget about doing it.

All good advise and I thank you all.
 
One of the rarest pieces in my Fisher collection (I know of two) was obtained through the Washington, DC Craigslist, from a seller who was willing to ship to me in Chicago.

Your guy sounds legit. Just make sure he pays first, and you should be fine.
 
Personally, I use CL local and cash only to avoid the hassle and expense of shipping, fees and other problems, but that's me.
This guy may not be a scammer at all, but it would be wise to make sure you get some assurances by taking the advice of those whom have already spoken.
 
If the guy sends you the money order then you're set. Also you don't have to worry about broken items during the shipping (which we all hope won't happen) but if for some reason if it does, you won't be held accountable like paypal does, since once you have the money order you have all power. Its just up to the guy if he trusts you or not to send the money order.
 
If you are going to go through the hassle of packing and shipping, why not list it on ebay? You might get more money for it. I sell on both, and will not ship an item I have for sale on Craigslist. It might be me, but I always get lowball offers or minimum price for it. I have listed items locally on Craigslist with nothing but lowball offers, and then posted it on ebay and sold it for a boatload more.
Best advice was given by several people though, get the cash and then ship. Good luck.
 
You can usually tell the scammers right off by their canned emails, offering more than your asking price, no specific item questions, sending a bank check, offering to have the item picked up to be shipped by their account, broken english, etc.

Whoa, be careful generalizing things like that. Network security is part of my day job.

Most scammers are very well spoken and have very refined systems for scamming you.

For every Nigerian 419 scammer out there, there's a couple of Bernie Madoff's lurking around, too. Maybe not as good at it as Bernie, but they're out there.
 
I sold a pair of TT carts on Audiogon to a guy in Sicily and he wanted to pay with paypal.

I called them and asked if there was any way I could be burned and they said that if the money shows in my account and has been verified by them even if there was a stolen CC or other problem on the buyers end the money was all mine.

Usually if a buyer trusts you enough to put the money in your account long distance he can be trusted.

I have a guy in Kentucky who's trying to get me to send him an amp I had on CL and he has sent me all sorts of pieced together emails and web links made to look like official paypal docs and links.

He's still waiting on the amp.

He said paypal now has a policy of holding finds until he sends a delivery conformation to them.

Nice try.

Good luck

Eric
 
I sold several items on CL and shipped them. All the above advices are essentially all what to you need to know and do. Ask him for his phone number and talk to him.
But generally if you take all the required steps to protect yourself - you're fine.
 
You have a couple choices.
-Tell him you are not willing to ship
-Tell him you will ship if he can provide you with PayPal 'personal' payment (gift or money owed). Maybe consider a USPS money order.

Don't let him send you a check of any kind, except for maybe a USPS Money Order. If you choose to accept a USPS Money Order, do not ship the item until you have cashed the money order (preferably cashed at the Post Office).
ABSOLUTELY cash a USPS Money Order only at a USPS post office. Your bank or some other place may cash it for you, but they can't absolutely verify if it's legitimate (the post office DOES do that BEFORE they give you the cash), and if it's not good, the bank will take the money straight out of your banking account, just like depositing a check that bounces.
 
Back
Top Bottom