Late Boomer
Super Member
Frankly, I had no idea what a Class D amp was. Today I googled "digital amplifier", and turns out that this is it
I am reading a very down-to-earth article on what Class D amp is, and it says:
I have two models of Panasonic portable CD players, they look almost the same, only the newer model says "D-Sound". Reading other forums, it seems that D-Sound includes, beside other things, a digital amp (Class D?), while earlier models, supposedly, used old-school analog amps? People "in the know" say that the earlier model, without D-Sound, was the last good portable CD player made by Panasonic, and everything made later is digital crap
Amazing how people latch on anything analog even when playing CDs.
It just seems natural to me to use existing bitstream as a source of amplification, and to use the feedback loop to compensate for inconsistencies in the discrete parts. So, I guess, Class D amp is a smart thing.
For analog sources, Class D amp is, basically, a delta-sigma ADC/DAC plus the analog amplification stage?
Um, but PWM (and PDM) are implementations of delta-sigma 1-bit (and, later, multiple-bit but still serial) DAC? So, this is a natural implementation of a built-in amp for CD player or a DAP with a 1-bit DAC?Basically, a digital (Class D) amplifier takes an incoming analog signal and converts it into a digital representation comprised of pulse widths. Although there are a number of different design variations, Class D amplifiers are essentially switching amplifiers or Pulse Width Modulator (PWM) designs. The incoming analog audio signal is used to modulate a very high frequency Pulse-Width Modulated (PWM) carrier that works the output stage either fully on or off. Later on, this ultra-high-frequency carrier must be removed from the audio output with a reconstruction filter so that no ultra-high frequency switching components remain to corrupt the audio signals.
I have two models of Panasonic portable CD players, they look almost the same, only the newer model says "D-Sound". Reading other forums, it seems that D-Sound includes, beside other things, a digital amp (Class D?), while earlier models, supposedly, used old-school analog amps? People "in the know" say that the earlier model, without D-Sound, was the last good portable CD player made by Panasonic, and everything made later is digital crap
It just seems natural to me to use existing bitstream as a source of amplification, and to use the feedback loop to compensate for inconsistencies in the discrete parts. So, I guess, Class D amp is a smart thing.
For analog sources, Class D amp is, basically, a delta-sigma ADC/DAC plus the analog amplification stage?