• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ClassDAudio Amps - Intro

I've been looking at these off and on for a while now. I've been looking for something to replace my Adcom GFA-545. As someone else said in the AudioCircle thread, I'm having a hard time finding a review comparing one to something I'm familiar with. For example, I've been looking at the Odyssey Stratos and McCormack DNA .5 and would love to hear how something from Class D Audio compares.

There are quite a few comparisons made to other amps throughout the thread, but finding one for a specific amp is probably not going to be practical. You could certainly post a question there asking and maybe someone will be familiar enough with those two that they can share their thoughts.

All I can say is keep in mind you're talking $250 (for the CDA kit for instance) vs. >$1000 amps. Many of the amps that were compared w/ the classdaudio were well into that >$1k range.
 
I've recently built a Helder HiFi '20w' Tripath amplifier based on the TA2020 chip. I preferred it over my ol' DIY Paradise Charlize amplifier. All you need is a 12V/2.5A+ (like a computer accessory) power supply, a small enclosure, RCA jacks, speaker jacks and you're off to the races.

Very clear and clean sounding, it also has a clipping LED indicator that will mute the amplifier if triggered. It is a little low powered for my needs, but it is a fun and easy DIY project for beginners. Not bad at all for ~$35 inc shipping!
 
Affordable Audio has just done a review of the Classdaudio amp kit. it's on page 26.

It pretty much says what most have experienced with this amp: "You aren’t going to touch this sound quality for under a grand even on the used market":thmbsp:

I wish I could change the thread title as i think some people think it refers to class d amps in general and not a specific amp.
 
This is were you want to start..A Sure TK2050...It can drive (4) 8 Ohm Speakers @ 50W Ea...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-100w-4-TK2050...-improved-/370302023572?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

And, if you want More... Than just go Here...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/143669-sure-electronics-new-tripath-board-tc2000-tp2050.html

But, it sounds Real Good even without any Modding...

been there, done that.

*sigh*

1) I don't understand why people keep bringing up other amps. This thread is specifically about the classdaudio.com CDA and SDS amps.

2) 50w vs. 250w

3) That Sure is now available from Parts Express.

4) You don't want the Sure anymore regardless, now that Hifimediy aka Nick from diyaudio is selling several TK2050 designs on Ebay for only a few dollars more that are 100% high quality parts designed with input from other diyaudio members. But this thread has nothing to do with either.
 
Last edited:
Sled108, please edit your post and remove ebay link, to avoid this thread be moved to Dollar and Sense ...
 
Begin of shpiel: I haven't perused AK in a while (frequented the TT forum, but my setup has been down for a while), so I thought I'd check in to see what people have thought of the ClassDAudio.com amps that are a big hit on AC and have been mentioned on other forums. So I did a search and man almost zilch! So I thought I'd at least get this info out to you guys! Since this is a more 'tinker' friendly forum I think it'll be a perfect fit.:thmbsp:


The Classdaudio amps are International Rectifier-based Class D Amps. As I go through forums I still read a lot of lingering doubts and old opinions of Class D/T amps that people still have, like they're bright or slightly unnatural or missing something, just good for subs, etc. Mostly opinions from years ago that just gets passed on. In the past few years ClassD/T amps like the Virtue Audio and Red Wine audio amps for instance have shown that the quality of sound is now firmly high-end and there are a lot of varieties that are still unknown to many people, except the hardcore diy crowd (I first heard about these on diyaudio and no other forum had even heard of them yet).

With the classdaudio kits you can build your amp. All the components are assembled already so literally all you need to do is connect them with wire and figure out how you want set up your switches/enclosure/rcas. And the sound quality is outstanding. Not mid-fi. Straight high-end. You can check out the Cheap and Cheerful forum at AC. People have sold their $multiple-k setups and replaced them with these and they have been compared to similar value gear over and over.

There are 120Wx2, 250WX2 in 4 and 8 ohm and more, and they are bridgeable.

Hate to sound like a commercial, but since there's almost no info here about these amps I'm trying to provide info to introduce to folks. Maybe some people who are familar can chime in so I don't seem like a shill. I'm just a big believer in cross-pollinization of info.

This kits are extremely easy and would make a great beginner project (just be careful, of course). Also Tom at CDA is super nice and accessible.

09.jpg



Pic of my 250Wx2 (4 ohm). I'll add more later. Here endeth shpiel.

Have you compared it to F-5? Just wondering...

russellc
 
No. I contemplated builing one, but an F-5 would be a little too warm for Los Angeles :D

Not really. We've been having constant 96+ with index of around 110. With the M&M sinks, it really doesnt get that hot. My old B&K ST 140's heat sink got hot enough to be uncomfortable, this one you can lay the inside of your arm on the warmest part for as long as you would like.

Russellc
 
Not really. We've been having constant 96+ with index of around 110. With the M&M sinks, it really doesnt get that hot. My old B&K ST 140's heat sink got hot enough to be uncomfortable, this one you can lay the inside of your arm on the warmest part for as long as you would like.

Russellc

Thanks Russell, good to know. Some point down the road I'd like to build one.
 
Thanks Russell, good to know. Some point down the road I'd like to build one.

Thanks for sharing the info, I think! Every time you post lately, it costs me money!:D Seriously, thanks for the Class D amp information, (as well as the B-1 DC thing, I managed to get one of the "Hypnotize" boards in the GB.) I really hadnt considered one previously. Didnt mean to bring out another amp in your thread, but I know from your other threads you have some DIY Pass experience and may have heard one. Excuse the OT please! I'm standing by for more info, carry on.:D

Russellc
 
Class D Audio is a company that builds high quality class d amplifiers for the DIY audio community. Here is a link to their home page. Tom is the owner and is a very helpful and nice guy.

As referenced previously, check out the thread on Audio Circle entitled, $175 Class D amp--120 wpc. Also, read the recent online review in Affordable $$ Audio, pg. 26

Wushuliu is a very knowledgable and helpful guy. Also, the OP of the Audio Circle thread is Steve K, is another person very familiar with the Class D Audio amps. Hope this helps someone. :thmbsp:
 
ClassDaudio Kits

Class D Audio is a company that builds high quality class d amplifiers for the DIY audio community. Here is a link to their home page. Tom is the owner and is a very helpful and nice guy.

As referenced previously, check out the thread on Audio Circle entitled, $175 Class D amp--120 wpc. Also, read the recent online review in Affordable $$ Audio, pg. 26

Wushuliu is a very knowledgable and helpful guy. Also, the OP of the Audio Circle thread is Steve K, is another person very familiar with the Class D Audio amps. Hope this helps someone. :thmbsp:

I am also very familiar with the classdaudio kits having built one and followed the audiocircle thread. The performance is mind blowing for the money and I have done comparisons with my tube amp. Anyone interested can contact me for info too.
 
Bump, reading up lots on this lately, after having a chance to listen to an icepower based (ps audio/wyred 4 sound) amplifier and being a bit gaga by it. I'm really interested in the classdaudio products though, something seems right about them, hard to quantify that.
 
Bump, reading up lots on this lately, after having a chance to listen to an icepower based (ps audio/wyred 4 sound) amplifier and being a bit gaga by it. I'm really interested in the classdaudio products though, something seems right about them, hard to quantify that.

Be sure to check the mega Classdaudio thread at AudioCircle. That'll keep you busy for a week or two.
 
The short version of my ClassDAudio amp kit. Wired now for 250wpc @ 4 ohms. Capable of being wired for 500wpc @ 8 ohms, as pictured below.

Does a great job with my Maggie MGIIIAs!







 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom