• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

classe DR8 (David Reich design) anyone heard them.

stereocuuple

Two Channel Only
Subscriber
well we are going to see a pair thur. eve. here in chicago. they are stereo amps however we would be running them in mono bridged mode for a total of 255 watts per side. has anyone here had any listening time with these? they may be replacing our Monarchy Audio se 100 delux's.

we will be running them with our Classe ssp25 & cdp .3 driving Dunlavy SCIV's. the se100's do a fine job but we are looking to provide some synergy by going to a all Classe system.

any comments would be great

thanks eric
 
Register to hide this ad
I haven't but I look forward to hearing your impressions. I was eyeballing some classe' equipment but it's just a bit out of reach at this point.
 
I used to own a Classé DR-10, which is virtually identical to the DR-8. Both amps share identical circuitry, just that the DR-10 had a slightly larger output stage and power supply to deliver an additional 25 W.P.C. The DR-10 had a notably sweet midrange and open, holographic sound in my system. I regret ever having to sell the DR-10, but I just had too many amps on hand.
 
Last edited:
I heard and lusted after the Classe DR2 and DR3 years ago and these along with some of the low power Pass amps are the only SS amps I'd really love to hear in my (hi-eff) system now.

The DR2/3 are probably pretty far removed from the DR8 but based on them, I bet you're in for an interesting listen.
 
I've heard the DR-8 driving Apogee's small Ribbon speaker. :yes:

Very nice sound.

Edit: The Apogees that I heard the DR-8 with were the Stages.
 
Last edited:
Been a while, but I recall being quite impressed. Very smooth, great soundstaging.
 
I have owned the DR-8 and the slightlly higher powered big brother the DR-9..
Dave Reich's original designs,these and the aforementioned DR-3 are considered Classe classics..The DR-8 on its own(stereo)is a very neutral sounding amp with excellent detail and almost tubelike midrange warmth..It excels at allowing for a very wide spectacular soundstage.
BUT as a bridged pair they are even better.Stereophile reviewed the DR-8 and commented that a bridged pair was noticeably better sounding overall than a single stereo unit and not just as a result of higher power.
You should get plenty of synergy with your Classe front end and pre-amp.
Your Dunlavy SC-IV are similiar to my Merlin Signature Fours so you should be very happy with what the Classe's will bring out of them.

Matt..........tubeornotube
 
Back
Top Bottom