• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Cleaning Cigarette Stains from Alum (w/o removing decals!)

Quagh

Super Member
I have a rig (Model 18 Marantz) and am attempting to clean the faceplate WITHOUT removing the decals.

I have tried Novus 2, goof off, polishing compound and a few other methods all with no success as they also affect the decals. When I get aggressive with abrasives or the chemical method (say fingernail polish, vinegar based window cleaner) removes some smoke stains but also some decals.

Does anyone know of a method for cleaning aluminum cigarette smoke WITHOUT removing the decals?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
Register to hide this ad
Big fan of the Magic Eraser for cleaning silver alum faceplates, but none of the stuff I work on has decals so can't speak to whether there's risk of damage there.

John
 
If it is silkscreened, equal parts ammonia and water. If it is a true decal, then nothing with liquid should be used.
 
Windex. Wet paper towel w/ Windex then gently wipe surface clean.

Worked perfectly every time on audio gear for me.
 
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas!

After thinking about it I said to myself......."Hmmmmm what would Terry D use?"

So I gave him a call and he suggested straight ammonia. While that didn't work very well, something I've used for cloth speaker grills did the trick.

What is this wonder product you ask?

Scrubbing Bubbles!
 
Make sure you wipe it down with a damp cloth to neutralize the Scrubbing Bubbles. The lettering inside the dial glass WILL come off if you wet it.

I first wipe it down with soap and water and have been using DeoxIT to deep clean aluminum faceplates. I use a cotton swab (not Q-Tip) to scrub around the lettering and Armor All on the black plastic.

And for the inside I use isopropyl alcohol, again with cotton swabs.

Marantz18_2.jpg
 
Excuse my ignorance - but what the hell is that ! (sounds like fertiliser :rolleyes:)

Does it have a more common name ?

TSP or TSP replacer is dead common. Its a little harsh for this imo but its a very good cleaner and is useful for prepping many surfaces for paint. Available at pretty much anyplace that sells house paints, wal mart, lowes, home depot etc.
 
TSP or TSP replacer is dead common. Its a little harsh for this imo but its a very good cleaner and is useful for prepping many surfaces for paint. Available at pretty much anyplace that sells house paints, wal mart, lowes, home depot etc.

TSP stands for Tri-sodium Phosphate.

It's recommended for use on your walls before painting. Kind of neutralizes the surface I believe for better paint adhesion.
 
Make sure you wipe it down with a damp cloth to neutralize the Scrubbing Bubbles. The lettering inside the dial glass WILL come off if you wet it.

I first wipe it down with soap and water and have been using DeoxIT to deep clean aluminum faceplates. I use a cotton swab (not Q-Tip) to scrub around the lettering and Armor All on the black plastic.

And for the inside I use isopropyl alcohol, again with cotton swabs.

Marantz18_2.jpg

I meant to clarify this post and forgot. And it would have been done like so....."Not for cleaning the inside of the glass dial plate."

Those glass face plates I know are touchy and using only mild Windex can at times, make those worse. Those are more like the old waterslide decals like I used on my model cars as a kid.

What is everyone's tips for cleaning interior face plates BTW? (other than Water and patting it dry or letting it air dry?)
 
Back
Top Bottom