• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cleaning new vinyl

Gridslayer

This and that...
Subscriber
I used the search feature, searched for "cleaning new vinyl" and "cleaning new records" and didn't find my question. I just got my first NEW lp (well, in the last 25 years) in the mail, Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto. I was looking forward to hearing what a new record can sound like and several sections sound scratchy. I've seen a little on other sites pros and cons of cleaning a new record. Perhaps there is a thread I'm not finding about this, but does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Cleaning vinyl

I use to clean my vinyls with 1 part sanitary alcohol and 3 parts vater, it,s harmles and clean well. I use a piece of velvet going around record, after that i use a dry piece of cloth. Brushes scratch the records, i dont use one. Regards.
 
Ok that makes sense to me. I was seeing people say that it was harmful to clean new records because there's a protective coating that you don't want to lose...
 
I don't think they have some protective coating, it's very important cleaning vinyl because at low tracking force{1-1.5gram} every particle of dirt will change the real sound.
 
It's unpredictable as to how clean a new record will be after the pressing and packaging process at the factory. I wash both new and preowned records with my VPI 16.5 with AIVS fluids and I don't have a problem with static etc.
 
+ 1 on that.

:smoke: Vinyl is like a box of chocolates, you just never know what your going to get. The next time you get a good pressing ... appreciate it. Sometimes, you just have to take your chances and rely on the law of averages for a good vinyl collection.

Nice analogy.
 
From what I understand they do put some kind of a mold inhibitor on new records and cleaning it with a cleaning solution gets rid of it.
You want to clean it before you play it.
 
I bought the new Kate Bush~ 50 words for snow. Wonderful music by the way. The pressing had a bump on side one track one. It was un-playable. I returned it for a replacement and this pressing, while better, has noise on a track that multiple cleanings with my KAB, did not eliminate. So Back this one goes. :( To the question at hand though, I clean everything before play it.
 
OK so I cleaned it with a DIY solution as I've done with all of the thrift store and inherited records. Much better. I was just afraid I shouldn't based on things I'd read. Thanks guys!
 
Back
Top Bottom